Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:03:39 PM EDT
Here is a pic of a new upper from DPMS. Part # ftt-3r. They also have a triple rail front sight, no pic yet.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/318016.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What are the side rails for?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Gangsta' Optics?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont know what it is about DPMS, but they some times make the most odd-ball shit, that makes no sence.  I honestly do not see how there is such a demand for these that it could even justify the tooling.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
WTFF?
[what the f@*k for?]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't certain carbine competitions require the use of multiple optics?  I have seen Ar's with canted optics mounted perpendicular to the receiver, but the exact acronym/ name of the competition escapes me.

Maybe?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
This would be the answer to a question that hasn't been asked, I think.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont know what it is about DPMS, but they some times make the most odd-ball shit, that makes no sence.  I honestly do not see how there is such a demand for these that it could even justify the tooling.

Matt

Y'know, that is funny.
In a world where we can't get low run special parts built to make replicas that people are interested in.
DPMS manages to come up with wierd sh-t that people have to find a use for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#9]
That's where you attach your brass catcher!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
In 3 gun matches, sometimes guys who run magnified optics slap some brightly colored irons on the side of their rail systems at a 45deg. angle for cqb drills.  My guess is dpms is trying to meet that need.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#11]
The right side rail was obviosly made for the Larue QD bottle opener/brass deflector combo. The left side would then have to be used for the Larue QD suppressor mount. You don't want a heavy suppressor hanging off the end of your rifle when not needed now do you? It could effect the ballance you know.

Seriously, wtf? If you can't hang all your shit off a quad rail forend, then you have some serious accesory issues and should seek counseling. I would give credence to the three gun idea, but who the hell is gonna use an expensive optic as a brass deflector when you could just mount it on the forend?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#12]
There may be a perfrectly reasonable explaination. I just have no idea what it would be.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
head to <a href="http://www.jprifles.com/">
and search for "JP Short Range Tactical Sight"

this is the kinda thing I've seen mounted on 3gun rifles, canted to one side, if they have high-power optics for long range stuff.  Maybe dpms figures stuff like this will work better if it's closer to your eyes, hence the new railed upper.

Also, check out <a href="http://www.dlsports.com/cqb.html"> for a different take on the same concept.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess if you didn't want a railed forearm you could use the side closest to your body for a light maybe? I wonder what that mongrel will run?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
head to www.jprifles.com/
and search for "JP Short Range Tactical Sight"

this is the kinda thing I've seen mounted on 3gun rifles, canted to one side, if they have high-power optics for long range stuff.  Maybe dpms figures stuff like this will work better if it's closer to your eyes, hence the new railed upper.

Also, check out www.dlsports.com/cqb.html for a different take on the same concept.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
The flyer that I got the info from made reference to 3-gun match use. Don't know 3-gun myself, but it said for back up sights in case of optic failure. Maybe they will come out with a combo back up sight/brass catcher.

Rick in MN
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It's teh ghey.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top