Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT
I just purchased my first AR-15, and noticed that there is a slight movement between the upper and lower.  It's almost non-existant, but it is there.  Probably normal but just wanted to check.  I haven't even fired it yet.  Need to get myself to the range.  I've got 2000 rounds of Lake City 5.56 for my disposal.

Just in case it matters...it's a Wilson Combat M-4T.  Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats normal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, its quite common.  You can tighten it a bit with an item called the Accu-Wedge and there's a pin that can be purchased which replaces the take-down pin.  It tightens the upper/lower together.  The pin is much better, IMHO.  

Generally, I don't feel the slight movement is all that critical.  I did use the pin on my SPR clone because it's my tack-shooter I want to maximize the rifle's accuracy.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't happen to know who makes that pin do you?  I've heard about the Accu Wedge but shouldn't that be used for "worked in" guns?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You don't happen to know who makes that pin do you?  I've heard about the Accu Wedge but shouldn't that be used for "worked in" guns?

I think the "PIN" is made by JP Enterprises (www.jprifles.com).  I know they're sold on the Bushmaster website.  That said, I'm sure other Industry Partners sell them, too.  Regarding the Accu Wedge and worked in guns, I've not heard that before, not to say it's incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
A bit of slop between the upper and lower is irrelevant to the accuracy of the firearm.  It may, however, effect YOU, in which case it becomes relevant.  The receivers on an AR pretty much only serve to keep the pieces from falling onto the ground.  They are not a factor in the accuracy of the rifle, especially if it is free floated.  Don't worry at all about the slop, unless it has an effect on you.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Its normal, the only thing it needs is you beating on it like a rented mule.

Now go out and fire the thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A bit of slop between the upper and lower is irrelevant to the accuracy of the firearm.  It may, however, effect YOU, in which case it becomes relevant.  The receivers on an AR pretty much only serve to keep the pieces from falling onto the ground.  They are not a factor in the accuracy of the rifle, especially if it is free floated.  Don't worry at all about the slop, unless it has an effect on you.  

Well, apparently the one AR i have with the PIN installed, my SPR clone, is not any more accurate than without it.  DAMN, I running out of excuses.  It couldn't be me, could it
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
here is a $2.00 item that will fix the rattling noise/play, it is called a accu-wedge.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, apparently the one AR i have with the PIN installed, my SPR clone, is not any more accurate than without it.  DAMN, I running out of excuses.  It couldn't be me, could it

Of course not.  I know that when I'm not accurate (usually), it is because of the terrible combination of wind, mirage, and evil spells.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave it alone is what I say.  The "accu wedge" thing makes assembly/disassembly difficult, I don't know to what degree it would help your accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Leave it alone is what I say.  The "accu wedge" thing makes assembly/disassembly difficult, I don't know to what degree it would help your accuracy.

+1

I rather have a little play and be able to take down the weapon without tools than to hassle with those silly accu-wedges or pressure pins that really serves no practical purpose other than to make your gun "feel" tighter.  

I especially don't like accu-wedges, it eliminates play by pushing the upper AWAY from the lower, which further increases AND maintains the gap between the upper and lower.  Not only is that unsightly but there's just more chance of dirt getting in there.  not cool in my opinion.

If it ain't broke no reason to screw with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone personally used the "PIN" made by JP Enterprises (www.jprifles.com)?  I'm sure the play I have in my AR is no big deal, but if this "PIN" would tighten it up I would spend the $35.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
here is a $2.00 item that will fix the rattling noise/play, it is called a accu-wedge.

www.jsesurplus.com/shoppingcart/html/images/AccuWedge.jpg

But.. but.. play in the upper & lower has no value to accuracy, oh well, more money for the AccuWedge people
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
$2.00 a pop...those guys gotta be rolling in it!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this the Wilson you just bought?  And you have play between the receivers?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah...it's almost non-existant but it's there...maybe i'm just being picky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Has anyone personally used the "PIN" made by JP Enterprises (www.jprifles.com)?  I'm sure the play I have in my AR is no big deal, but if this "PIN" would tighten it up I would spend the $35.  Thanks guys!

Just poking fun, dude.

As far as the JP pin goes, it will lock up your upper and lower tight.  Zero play.  Some shooters like that.  Others don't care.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to hear...i'll give it a whirl.  I just like for there to be no play...just personal preference like you stated.  Thanks for letting me know about the pin.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I put one on my SPR clone just because of the "feel better factor" since it's my tack-shooter.  That said, my other 7 ARs don't have them and they shoot just fine.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually it's not normal on a wilson .

I have 2 and they both have ZERO play between
the upper and lower . Unlike my Colts

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Good to hear...i'll give it a whirl.  I just like for there to be no play...just personal preference like you stated.  Thanks for letting me know about the pin.

With that pin you lose the quick break down feature of the AR, you'll need to use a tool everytime.

I even get tired from having to push the pin out sometimes, imagine if I had to use a tool...

I'm willing to bet you'll find yourself going back to the standard pin after screwing around with a JP pin...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#24]
JP "pin" works perfect but you will not be able to disassemble your rifle without tools! (“race-gun”: yes, “combat-gun”: no)

Walli
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah...it's almost non-existant but it's there...maybe i'm just being picky.

you should have spent the extra money and bought something like a Wilson
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
They always forget the pics
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
THAT IS NOT NORMAL!!! It is actually a sign that your AR has grown artificial intelligence and will soon complete it's plans to kill you and everyone you know! Fortunately, I have experience in these matters. If you send your AR to me right now, there might still be time left for me to "dispose" of it....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes Pics
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Pictures are on the first page under YellowV.  He was nice enough to post it for me.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Pictures are on the first page under YellowV.  He was nice enough to post it for me.

went back to the first page to see how i missed a pic YellowV does not have a post in this thread.

the only pic on the first page is of the accu-wedge
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

went back to the first page to see how i missed a pic YellowV does not have a post in this thread.

the only pic on the first page is of the accu-wedge

I believe he meant it was posted by YELLOWV in ANOTHER thread which was on the first page at the time.

Here's the picture:
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Believe it or not, there is a gun shop in my area selling these for $10.00 each !
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
slop is normal. I worry about receivers that are too tight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah i'm sorry about the picture information.  I was mistaken on the thread.  Thanks for posting the picture.  Sorry for mis-leading you.  Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Believe it or not, there is a gun shop in my area selling these for $10.00 each !

$10.00!!!!  Crock of **** I hate when stores try to take advantage of people.  We should stop shopping there all together.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top