Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 12:06:38 PM EDT
Anyway to loosen (ream out) a .223 Chrome Lined Chamber??

I have an older Model1 Sales barrel (14.5") that I have been using in full-auto but the chamber is .223 and not 5.56 ( Not sure how I screwed that one up). Most, if not all, of the ammo I fire is 5.56. So far it has been 100% reliable but I have not really shot more than 2-300 rounds at a time. I know the looser chambers are better for full-auto and can be a benefit for when a chamber gets dirty. I also noticed the casings do not seem to eject as far as my uppers in 5.56. Thats what got me thinking that maybe the chamber tightness could be an issue if it got too dirty.

Any solutions or should I leave it as is?

ASO544
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I think once it's chrome-lined, it's pretty much set in stone.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome can be stripped. Then you could ream the chamber. Then have it chromed again.

It would probably be easier and maybe cheaper to just buy a new barrel if you can't use this one as is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If it was me, I would buy a new barrel.  Find a used one from the EE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
A carbide reamer will cut through the chrome.  It may affect the reamer life somewhat, but it will cut it.  You'd have a distinct cutoff leading to the chrome lined bore and I understand that the extreme conditions in the throat area will start stripping the chrome in the bore as well.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top