Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 11:45:53 AM EDT
If someone wants a short barreled rifle, why not register it as a pistol rather than filling out the paperwork and paying your $200 tax stamp?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If someone wants a short barreled rifle, why not register it as a pistol rather than filling out the paperwork and paying your $200 tax stamp?

Well for starters, they probably want it to be shoulder fired.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Because an AR pistol is a novelty and an SBR is a useful tool.  Okay, not many here own their rifles as tools, but truly I feel the SBR is much more versatile than an AR pistol.  You can also add a vertical grip to an SBR, but putting one on a pistol makes it an AOW.

It is a viable option for states that don't allow SBR or other civilian NFA stuff.

I'd rather have an SBR and once you get one, you'll quickly see that it is worth every penny of the $200 tax stamp.

Josh
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Pistols can not have "stocks".  STOCK (Shoulder fire)= Rifle, barrels must be at least 16" unless SBR.

If you put a stock on a PISTOL, the barrel must be 16", the Thompson Center Contender and Encore are examples.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
this is exactly what i did.
i got a stripped AR lower and had my FFL note on the yellow form and my receipt that it was a pistol lower.
i got my 11.5" upper and build my pistol using a carbine buffer.  i took the butt stock part to my folks house to prevent a constrictive possession charge.
i got a single point sling and used that as a tension device while i sent in my SBR paperwork on another lower.   when the paperwork came back i got the lower engraved and swapped the parts over.  (then the most important part)  i went to my folks house and got a butt stock to complete the SBR.    
the single point sling was little more than a toy and the SBR is worth $200.00

would i buy another pistol upper to rebuild my pistol?  
i don't think so.

do i need or want another SBR?  nope.  one will do.
i like my shorties.  (16" w/ collapsing stock)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top