Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:27:45 PM EDT
Hi all,
im a complete noob to the AR world and to the AR15board. Been wanting an AR for months now, and i finally got the $$ to do it.
I stumbled here from the Glocktalk boards.

Im looking at getting either a RRA  "entry tactical" or the "car a4" with the tactical mount, OR the "tactical car a4" with tactical mount. BUT I'LL BE DAMN IF I CAN FIND A DIFFERENCE IN EITHER OF THE THREE RIFLES!? minus the fact that the entry tactical has the R4 barrel notch (i assume for a grenade launcher?) ALSO, about the tactical mount : are they popular for mounting an EOtech on? Or should i get the dominator mount instead? Is the height difference a problem for the eotech?

Can anyone guide me in the right direction here? whats the difference in the 3? I've been cruising
www.eaglefirearms.net looking to buy. I've never bought a gun over the net and am new to the "ship to your FFL" thing. How long does that process take?

thanks in advance,
jerry
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#1]
?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't help with the different RRAs you mentioned, but I'll try to clear up the FFL deal.  Federal law requires that firearms sold across state lines must go through a Federal Firearms License holder.  You do this when you buy a shotgun at wallyworld and don't know it because they have the gun in stock.  To buy across statelines you will be getting a FFL dealer to take delivery of the RRA then transfer it to you.

Why don't you look around and read some of the FAQ threads.  You may learn that you want to assemble your own rifle with just what you want on it.  Many members here are verry well informed and willing to help.

Welcome
PA
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, the only difference I can see between the "Entry Tactical" and the Tactical CAR A4 is the barrel profile ahead of the FSB (both are probably HBAR under the hand-guards). The "Entry" has what they call the "R4" profile which is legalese for M4 profile. The Tactical CAR does not have notch cut.

The "CAR A4" has a lot of differences to the other two. This one comes standard with (or without depending on your point of view? )  - No Front Side sling swivel, No Detachable "Tactical" carry handle, No "Star" Safety selector, CAR (instead of M4 type) hand-guards. A2 stock instead of a 6-position collapsible. A2 pistol grip instead of a Hogue. The CAR A4 is also available with a mid-length gas system barrel.

Personally I would go with the CAR A4 with a mid-length barrel (free option) and get the chrome lined barrel option $40 and then change anything else you wanted on your own as money and necessity dictates.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
welcome Mr Smith!

The RRA products are very good and many here rave about their quality and durability

as far as which one, I believe cvg covered that well, but with regard to the on-line buying/FFL thing...........

Piece of cake.

you go to your local FFL (after selecting a dependable and economical one. Some charge as little as $10 to handle a transfer, and others as much as $50 or 10% of the firearm value, whichever is greater. So their is a difference.)

He will give you a copy of his license and you can either mail it or fax a legible copy of it to your firearm dealer.

Pay for the rifle.

and when it arrives at your FFL location, you do your forms and blast away. (notwithstanding your state's laws regarding wait times, etc.)

Unless the seller is within your home state, you do not pay sales tax, which often is a substantial savings.

on a side note, have you looked at Bushmaster or Colt? Both have great AR products and are in the same general price range as RRA.

just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The "Entry Tactical" has the following differences from the "Tactical CAR A4":
R-4 bbl

The "Entry Tactical" has the following differences from the "CAR A4":
R-4 bbl
Detachable Side Mount Sling Swivel
Star Safety Selector (CAR A4 has Standard Safety Selector)
R-4 Handguards (CAR A4 has Carbine Length Handguards)
Hogue Grip (CAR A4 has Standard Grip)
Detachable Tactical Carry Handle (CAR A4 has none)
6 Pos. Tactical CAR Stock (CAR A4 has A2 Buttstock)

That is pretty much it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top