Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:10:12 PM EDT
Simple question.....just wondered on an AR-15 where they measure from for legality.  

If the FH isn't attached "permanently" to the bbl, it isn't counted in the 16" minimum length, right?

I'm basically asking to find out if I could possibly shorten my bbl with an A2 FH and then "permanently" attach it by pinning and welding.....it would probably only shorten the barrel by an inch at most  (i'd guess) but might be worth it for what I've got in mind.

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If the FH isn't attached "permanently" to the bbl, it isn't counted in the 16" minimum length, right?

Right.

Quoted:
I'm basically asking to find out if I could possibly shorten my bbl with an A2 FH and then "permanently" attach it by pinning and welding.....

Yes, you could do that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel length is measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. A dowel is placed down the barrel until it contacts the bolt's face and is marked right where it clears the barrel's muzzle.

Yes, a permanently-attached flash suppressor counts as barrel length. Minimum barrel length is 16". You should allow just a hair more length than that just to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Barrel length is measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. A dowel is placed down the barrel until it contacts the bolt's face and is marked right where it clears the barrel's muzzle.

Yes, a permanently-attached flash suppressor counts as barrel length. Minimum barrel length is 16". You should allow just a hair more length than that just to be safe.

Thanks guys....exactly what I needed to know.

'appreciate it.

Sean
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top