Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:00:11 AM EDT
What barrel manufacturer should I use for my Middy project?

Douglas
Lilja
Hart
Kreiger
Obermeyer
Schneider

ETA: Pac Nor and Wilson

I'm leaning toward either the douglas or the Lilja. Which one would you pick? What profile would you suggest for my mid-length???

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
What role will this rifle fill?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What role will this rifle fill?

defensive rifle... possibly some three gun matches as well
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

hmmmm.....you probably couldn't go wrong with any of 'em.  Lilja would be nice, but I've been itchin' to try one of Noveske's 18" SPR or 16" Recon Pac Nors......

I'm not sure why you'd want a match barrel for a defensive rifle though.  I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but with the amount of practice I imagine you'd want to do with this gun you're kinda defeating the purpose of spending top dollar for a match barrel.  If you can afford it, go for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmm.....you probably couldn't go wrong with any of 'em.  Lilja would be nice, but I've been itchin' to try one of Noveske's 18" SPR or 16" Recon Pac Nors......

I'm not sure why you'd want a match barrel for a defensive rifle though.  I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but with the amount of practice I imagine you'd want to do with this gun you're kinda defeating the purpose of spending top dollar for a match barrel.  If you can afford it, go for it.

You're right that it's probably not the best choice for a defensive rifle... I have my M4gery for that. It has more to do with seeing all these cool midlengths on ARFCOM and black rifle disease has compelled me to get one ASAP.

I guess 3 gun and plinking would be its main purpose... but I said defensive thinking it would make a good alternative to lugging around a heavy bolt gun for engagements out to 300 to 400 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're right that it's probably not the best choice for a defensive rifle... I have my M4gery for that. It has more to do with seeing all these cool midlengths on ARFCOM and black rifle disease has compelled me to get one ASAP.

I guess 3 gun and plinking would be its main purpose... but I said defense thinking it would make a good alternative to lugging around a heavy bolt gun for engagements out to 300 to 400 yards.

In that case......get the Noveske 16" Recon SS Pac Nor w/ polygonal rifling.
Be sure to report back with range reports, round counts, and 10 round groups........
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked at Denny's new 16" mid-length barrel?  The Operator.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]
A vote for the PacNor 16 inch with polygonal rifling. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I guessing by the options you gave you are looking for a fairly accurate barrel probably in SS?

That being the case I would get either...

PacNor Carbine Barrel 1:7.5 16" MID gas system barrel from ADCO (half way down the page)

or

DENNYS GUNS 16 INCH MID LENGTH RECON BARREL
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Glockguy40 - I have been thinking of the same thing however I wanted a base line on what  kind of accurracy I had already...

69 SMK
Once fired surp brass - cleaned, deprimed, swaged, FL resized, primed (Fed Match), and 23.5 grn H335

CMMG non ramped upper with a standard (cheap assed) DPMS barrel with standard M4gy HGs. The upper had approx 200 rounds through it.

ACOG with a doh_nut

Not exactly a group shooting combo to say the least.....

5 round groups were 1/2 MOA at 100 and 200

I would like to shoot this out to 600 but to be fair I think I should swap out the scope in order to get a better idea of what the accuracy is as the ACOG is not exactly the best for group shooting.

In the end, I like the idea of a trick barrel - but I am concentrating on loads at this point. I can only imagine what kind of 100 yrd groups I could get with a 3-9 and proper case prep on new brass.

Good luck

ps - I like the Pac Nor
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
have you considered the ABS bbl?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Another option is Giffman at 2nd Amendment Arms.  His are chrome-lined, 1/7 barrels.  Mine shoots better than I can and has a 5.56 chamber.

G
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I guessing by the options you gave you are looking for a fairly accurate barrel probably in SS?

That being the case I would get either...

PacNor Carbine Barrel 1:7.5 16" MID gas system barrel from ADCO (half way down the page)

or

DENNYS GUNS 16 INCH MID LENGTH RECON BARREL

+1 on these two.

i have the recon from denny's and when funds permit i will have one of the pacnor's from adco
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I was VERY happy with the 16" stainless mid-length barrel I got from Denny as well as his service. Also VERY happy w/ the stainless 20" WOA barrel I got from White Oak for my Service Rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Also VERY happy w/ the stainless 20" WOA barrel I got from White Oak for my Service Rifle.

Oh man, you shouldn't have said that.

I had one put on my rifle this past Friday and couldn't get out to the range on the weekend.  I cannot wait for Saturday to come.  First do a basic sight zero at 100 and a mild break in at the same time, them take it to the KD range for solid zeroes at 200, 300, and 600 with match reloads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea WhiteOak barrell amazed me....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
poll added
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 to that.  It's a good recommendation.  Nice fit.

Quoted:
Another option is Giffman at 2nd Amendment Arms.  His are chrome-lined, 1/7 barrels.  Mine shoots better than I can and has a 5.56 chamber.

G

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#19]
bump
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
have you considered the ABS bbl?

+1

You can get a middy ABS that will weigh less than the others and have the new electroless nickle silicon carbide linging for $332 delivered but to day is the last day of the group buy in the EE.  In contrast I am doing a Pac-Nor polygonal custom carbon fiber wrapped barrel that will run over $600 from them so the group buy is a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top