Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:29:53 AM EDT
I was just curious if there is any reason not to use the same lower receiver for several uppers.

That is assuming that I want the same stock and trigger for each one of course.

Also that I will only be shooting one of my rifles at a time......i.e. none of my friends will be using one at the same time as me.

It just seems more economical to use the same lower for several uppers. Do any of y'all do this?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, it'll start out that way.  Eventually you will want a lower for every upper.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Most guys start out just using one lower, then they realize that the lower is about half the cost of an upper......so they get another lower to complete gun #2.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I am definately a beginner as far as AR-15's are concerned. There are several different looks/designs that I want but they all seem to be a difference in the upper. So I was just thinking that it would save some bucks just to get a new upper and use my current lower.

I can definately see my self getting new lowers for each upper in the future. but for right now I think I'll stick with one upper. It sounds like there's no real problem with doing this.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I started out thinking that way but it won't be long before you will find a good reason to have more lowers.I have a couple different stocks , I have wound up with a couple different triggers (think I will end up with all RRNM - my jewell has shit the bed and I am sick of trying to get it to work right . ) I have another stripped lower I got cheep (stag-$75 ) I am thinking a semi dedicated lower only for use when I am useing the ceiner to keep all the blowback trask out of the rest of my triggers.
The whole thing of BRD is not just a joke-it's the way it is !
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
That's how I got by in the dark days of '94-'04.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The short answer is YES - there is no problem with using the same lower for several uppers. I was going to do that, but then I saw that I could get a price break by buying 2 stripped uppers, and my local FFL would charge me the same fee for either 1 or 2 lowers, so what the hell - I bought two. Then I found another good deal on a lower, and now I've got 2 more on order (with custom serial numbers, special engraving, you know - GOT TO HAVE stuff).

BRD!! Anybody know of a cure??
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The short answer is YES - there is no problem with using the same lower for several uppers. I was going to do that, but then I saw that I could get a price break by buying 2 stripped uppers, and my local FFL would charge me the same fee for either 1 or 2 lowers, so what the hell - I bought two. Then I found another good deal on a lower, and now I've got 2 more on order (with custom serial numbers, special engraving, you know - GOT TO HAVE stuff).

BRD!! Anybody know of a cure??

I hear getting married and having kids will put it into serious remission.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am definately a beginner as far as AR-15's are concerned. There are several different looks/designs that I want but they all seem to be a difference in the upper. So I was just thinking that it would save some bucks just to get a new upper and use my current lower.

I can definately see my self getting new lowers for each upper in the future. but for right now I think I'll stick with one upper. It sounds like there's no real problem with doing this.

Thanks.

No, there is no problem with doing this.   You will not be able to stand it however
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#9]

No, there is no problem with doing this.   You will not be able to stand it however

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
first you might want to start ordering different grips so you can see what they feel like. also ones you dont like can always go in the parts bin or have different grips on all your rifles like me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#11]
As someone already said, short answer is yes... but there is no "do all" buttstock for your needs so soon you realize you need another lower and/ or buttstock to fill your needs.

MN
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, it'll start out that way.  Eventually you will want a lower for every upper.  MJD

Oh yes.  That's the way mine started.  "Well, I can just switch out these uppers on this lower."  This progresses to "That upper looks odd in  the safe by itself with all these other complete rifles.  I'll just buy another lower."  Then you start adding things on, leaving you with some leftover parts.  "Well, I've just about got enough parts to build another rifle.  Guess I'll get another lower."
Once you have stared into the abyss that is BRD, it's over.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hear getting married and having kids will put it into serious remission.

Nope,  you just learn to hide it.  Having alot of rifles that are black and look similar with a wife who knows next to nothing about firearms helps.  Keeping lunch under $3 a day helps, along with not worrying about trendy clothes or whatever.  Let the kids and wife have the good stuff, but shave in your areas to cover the addiction.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Problem is that a rifle sits better in a safe as a complete rifle.
I was going to have several uppers for one lower but didn't have the space for the uppers. Took up too
much room (I have other things on the shelves).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most guys start out just using one lower, then they realize that the lower is about half the cost of an upper......so they get another lower to complete gun #2.

and #3, #4, #5.....................................
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I buy lowers just in case of another ban.  You don't have to use them.  They'll just increase in value.  I, personnally, think everyone here should have more lowers than uppers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and #3, #4, #5.....................................

And #6 and #7 just build up after my recent visit to a gun show.  Will this madness ever end

PS  That's my wife with the chair
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I buy lowers just in case of another ban.  You don't have to use them.  They'll just increase in value.  I, personnally, think everyone here should have more lowers than uppers.

+1.  Of course, a complete, built-up lower without an upper just isn't right for me.  Eventually, I'll have to get it a mate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think that guy with one lower and a ton of uppers is like bigfoot. He might be out there but I ain't seen him yet.

(there is no reason you cannot get by with one lower and multiple uppers)

I agree.  I thought I could get by having 1 lower and 2 uppers.  I was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#21]
They should sell lowers in 6 packs, 12 packs and by the case. Because we always want more later.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#22]
how it always starts
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top