Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT
I just received this upper in about two weeks ago from one of the onsite vendors and just got to shoot it today.200-250 rounds only. It functions flawlessly but the finish that was on there has gone and this is what it looks like now. It has rust spots and some type of rust buildup around the front sight. Plus the whole barrel is milky now. The rest of the upper is fine.
I have contacted the vendor to see what they can do. It is a good company and I dont doubt that they will fix the issue ,but the wait ,then the set up and now it has all been a waste of time. Do I ask for a new one or this one to get refininshed?
How the hell does this happen?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn....that's one gnarly looking barrel there....and looks like the acid build up on the post of an automotive battery...especially in the "wick 'n seep" arears like around the FSB/GB where it mounts to the barrel...I'm guessing the finish was insiffciently nuetralized...and what you're seeing here is the residual ash of un-neutralized phospates/acids that were used in the finish.

I bet a good wipe down with rig/clp or any gun oil would clean it right up excpet for the splotching wher it appears it ate through the finish.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Not good, Tesnevo

I'm going to stay tuned for this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
 Have you maintained it well since you bought it?  Not that it should ever look that bad in a couple weeks, but any CLP at all?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
tag.

I've used Gun Kote from Brownells, put more rounds through the gun, and took it to a carbine course and my gun didn't look that bad.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Have you maintained it well since you bought it? Not that it should ever look that bad in a couple weeks, but any CLP at all?

It just came in two weeks ago and has been on the lower in my safe untill today. It didnt look this bad untill after the 200-250 rounds went through it. The finish wasnt that great when I got it but nowhere near what it is now.
And yes, When I received it I stripped it down and lubed it and wiped it all down with CLP.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow.

Get ahold of whoever you bought it off of, and send it back, IMO.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.......I stripped it down and lubed it and wiped it all down with CLP.

That looks like it was wiped down with battery acid! huntingHopefully they will make it right for you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
With out giving away the name of the vendor can you  say who made and finished the barrel ?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a Wilson chromed lined barrel but it says DTI. I dont know who the hell DTI IS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the exact same thing happen to me on a RRA preban barrel that i got from a vendor here also. I was able to clean most of the crap off with clp and hoppes. I was kind of pissed. I fired maybe 3 mags through it and then set it down to fire my FAL. I burned through a few mags with the fal and decide to shoot the ar15 and there was white streaks and marks all over the barrel and FSB.

I ended up keeping the upper because i was doing alot of shooting at the time and didnt want to wait for another to arrive. I did manage to get about 90-95% of the stuff off with repeated wipings of clp and hoppes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
For what it cost, it is going to be their problem. I guess I will just have to wait.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I guesss I'm the only one who is unimpressed with the way it looks.  I pay for barrel to be reliable and accurate, not pretty.  However, I do acknowledge that I would have cleaned this one myself, and if needed, I would have refinished it myself.

You have posted a picture of it without any CLP or oil on the barrel.  Spray it down, let it sit in the sun, and wipe it down 15 minutes later.  Post a picture then.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
it looks like you burned off all the oil/grease that the barrel was packed in.
the A1 barrel I got was a NOS surplus barrel that looked like that after a good day at the range.

Before you start screaming, give it a good solid clean. get that toothbrush out and some of your favorite cleaner and brush it really good. Then give it a good light coat of CLP (or your favorite oil) and you should not see that again.

give it a try, if that fails, let the screaming begin!

ETA - looking at those pics again, I am sure that is what it is. you just burned off all the oil/grease.
clean that puppy up! shoot it up!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Get a "hard" toothbrush, some CLP or MPro-7, and spend half an hour scrubbing it off.

It's fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the A1 barrel I got was a NOS surplus barrel that looked like that after a good day at the range.

Before you start screaming, give it a good solid clean. get that toothbrush out and some of your favorite cleaner and brush it really good. Then give it a good light coat of CLP (or your favorite oil) and you should not see that again.

ETA - looking at those pics again, I am sure that is what it is. you just burned off all the oil/grease.

+1

imo it looks like either packing grease that was not completely cleaned off or too much oil applied when cleaning.

i would just hit with the brake cleaner and clp it, then wipe it dry with a black rag.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for the grease/ heat = needs a cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
It looks normal to me, that's the way my barrel on my main carbine looks all the time. You simply burned off the oil that was on the barrel. If it bothers you wipe it down with CLP. If it doesn't impair the function, and there is no rust don't sweat it man.

-sc
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yah, that'll buff right out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Both my rifles when new did the exact same thing.  Looks normal to me.  I was like WTF at first.  I cleaned it and it looked brand new again.  Took them out to shoot, and they didnt turn that color anymore.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My Colt barrels never did that!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a brush and clean it.  Spray it down with some CLP and then go shoot it some more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Scrub it. I agree it looks like burnt up grease. Where it's seeping out from under the front sight base should be a clear indicator that it isn't the finish. Now that it's all burned on, it may take a little more cleaning to get it off though.

If that fails to work, contact the vendor and let him know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#24]
BEFORE you start griping at the manufacturer...

Parkerizing is just that, a phosphoric acid finish.  It makes the surface porous so that it will hold oil.  That is one of the ways parkerizing provides rust protection.

And that milky white, you just cooked off the oil.  It would look the same way if you degreased it with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.  

Clean the barrel, reoil it.

An anodized upper or lower will look similarly bad if truly degreased, whitish deposits, etc.  

Try this, wipe just one area with an oily rag, let it soak in a day, then wipe it as dry as you can.  It will stay dark as compared to the unoiled area.    
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
My barrel still gets that way after I heat it up good and then let it sit.A wipe down with CLP takes care of it.Some times if its still warm and you wrap it up or put it in a padded case the heat will make it sweat and it will look like that as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
BEFORE you start griping at the manufacturer...

Parkerizing is just that, a phosphoric acid finish.  It makes the surface porous so that it will hold oil.  That is one of the ways parkerizing provides rust protection.

And that milky white, you just cooked off the oil.  It would look the same way if you degreased it with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner.  

Clean the barrel, reoil it.

An anodized upper or lower will look similarly bad if truly degreased, whitish deposits, etc.  

Try this, wipe just one area with an oily rag, let it soak in a day, then wipe it as dry as you can.  It will stay dark as compared to the unoiled area.    

What he said. If anyone actually shot their gun they would know that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Well after the vendor called me yesterday they said to send it back. She said even after burning the oil that was there off it should have never turned out that way.
I soaked a rag with CLP and wiped it down well. I am going to let it sit for a few days then fire it some more.
The vendor said if I wasnt happy at all to send it back. She said that as long as I own the upper I will never have to worry about anything going wrong with it. You have got to love a warranty like that.
Thanks to the replies here. I thought I had wiped it down well before. I will see how it turns out after the next shoot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I will.
BTW: The vendor is Del-Ton. They have to be the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.
I will be buying from them again real soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
If you get it hot enough so that it is smoking (and I do often), the oil is burning off.  It will get that way again.

Some of the deposits will scrub off with time.

Do NOT expect a parkerized finish to be pretty... it isn't.  It is not fine, highly polished rust blue and is not intended to look like that.  Be aware that a parkerized finish will outlast (as far as rusting) a blued finish, which is why it is used on military firearms.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My Colt barrels never did that!!!

mine did, both of them.
buy a A1 barrel that has been packed in grease for 20+ years and it will happen to you also.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top