Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:44:58 AM EDT
I was at the range yesterday and met someone using a AR15, I looked at his rifle noticing that it had something on its FH. I told him he had some kind of gunk on his FH and he said it was JB WELD. I asked him why, and he said he uses it to permanently installs his FH that way. Upon further investagation he said he put its on the bbl threading and threads on the FH, since it would be extremely permanent enough even if you had to do some work on the rifle you couldnt even get it off. I would like to think of it as being extremely permanent but would like to hear from you guys if this is considered legal ways to attach a flash hider. and also would like to know if using JB WELD for blind pins is legal also?

(example).......drilling the FH, drilling the bbl, placing pin inside, covering it with JB WELD, and then touching it up with paint................. it does say "hard as steel"  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope - chemical bonds dont comply.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
silver solder is my way of installation, since I work with electronics it is easy to do. I dont know about any regulations per the BATF
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Silver solder must be over 1100 degrees or something like this per BATF specs.  I'm sure someone here will know the exact numbers.  I had a FH permenently attached and my smithy schooled me on the process.

Now I'm trying to find a paint or whatever to cover up the silver soldering as it is lighter than the parkarizing of the rest of the barrel and FH.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out this link for an approved method of DIY attachment.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtoattachamuzzlebrake.msnw
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Your info line says "Texas", and I assume you were at home during this encounter. So why was this guy trying to permanently attach a flash suppressor?

Was he using a shorter than 16 inch barrel, and trying to make it legal length?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Answered - and take it to legal for more...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top