Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:32 PM EDT
How do I know my upper is a BM,It dosent say BM anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It won't say Bushmaster any where on the upper.  However, there may be some sort of forging mark on the right hand side.  See anything?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't say Bushmaster any where on the upper.  However, there may be some sort of forging mark on the right hand side.  See anything?

Looks like the letter A
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like the letter A

I believe that stands for Alcoa: meaning Aloca forged that upper.  Keep in mind that most manufactures get their forgings from the same place or various places depending on demand and various other factors.  One Bushmaster upper might have and FK stamped on it while another one sitting next to it might have an A.  Don't worry about it, you're good to go!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
TY
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster receivers come with the "A", the keyhole mark and sometimes no mark at all.  I've had factory uppers with all three.  There is no guarantee that you have a Bushmaster upper by simply looking at the forging mark.

The barrel should be marked, though.  Something like "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR" or something close.  If it's not, it's not Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Straight from the horse's (Bushmaster's) mouth:

We have seen this happen many times here. We get rifles all the time for warranty service that have our lower receiver, but every other part is a gun show special. Before purchasing, look things over carefully. You are about to lay down a sizeable chunk of money, so take a minute to be sure of what you are buying.
Bushmaster's identifying marks are:

1. On the barrel, in front of the front sight, it will be stamped:
"B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR" (exactly that way). On some barrels, it may be under the handguard, but it will still say that exact thing. The only difference might be a 1/7 instead of a 1/9 . This denotes the rifling twist.
2. Our front sights are held on by two taper pins, one through each of the bands of the front sight. We do not use hollow roll pins, never have - never will.
3. Our upper receiver has raised letters "FK" on the right side by the rear sight base.
4. Our handguards have aluminum heat shields in them.
5. Our barrels have the correct gray/green manganese phosphate finish, not black.
6. Our tele-stocks have a small roll pin holding the nut on under the sliding latch. If it's not pinned, it's not ours.
7. Our hammers and triggers have polished contact surfaces, and the hammer has the letter "P" on the left side, while the trigger has it on the right side.
8. Our bolt cariers have the gas key staked on by 4 V-shaped stamps.
9. We always use aluminum delta rings to retain the handguards.
10. Our buffers have a gold-colored finish on them, which is easy to see inside the stock.
11. Our aluminum parts all have the mil. spec hard anodized flat or matte finish to them, not shiny. This includes the receivers, the charging handle, and the delta ring. However, oil on the surface might make the normally flat or matte finish appear shiny.
The best insurance is to always buy from a local dealer, someone you can go back to if you have any problems. Most of them are reputable, and will at least help you contact the factory for service problems.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an FK,BK,DK and key hole all from Bushmaster.The one thing I notice with mil-spec uppers is they have a grey dry lube baked on the interior of the upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We have seen this happen many times here. We get rifles all the time for warranty service that have our lower receiver, but every other part is a gun show special. Before purchasing, look things over carefully. You are about to lay down a sizeable chunk of money, so take a minute to be sure of what you are buying.

"B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR" (exactly that way). On some barrels, it may be under the handguard, but it will still say that exact thing. The only difference might be a 1/7 instead of a 1/9 . This denotes the rifling twist.
2. Our front sights are held on by two taper pins, one through each of the bands of the front sight. We do not use hollow roll pins, never have - never will.
3. Our upper receiver has raised letters "FK" on the right side by the rear sight base.
5. Our barrels have the correct gray/green manganese phosphate finish, not black.
6. Our tele-stocks have a small roll pin holding the nut on under the sliding latch. If it's not pinned, it's not ours.
7. Our hammers and triggers have polished contact surfaces, and the hammer has the letter "P" on the left side, while the trigger has it on the right side.
10. Our buffers have a gold-colored finish on them, which is easy to see inside the stock.
11. Our aluminum parts all have the mil. spec hard anodized flat or matte finish to them, not shiny. This includes the receivers, the charging handle, and the delta ring. However, oil on the surface might make the normally flat or matte finish appear shiny.
The best insurance is to always buy from a local dealer, someone you can go back to if you have any problems. Most of them are reputable, and will at least help you contact the factory for service problems.[/quote

Thanks for the info,might be a good idea to tack this one,mods?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#9]
MY Bushy has no markings at all on the upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
MY Bushy has no markings at all on the upper.

If this includes the barrel, it's not a Bushy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The best insurance is to always buy from a local dealer, someone you can go back to if you have any problems. Most of them are reputable, and will at least help you contact the factory for service problems.

This describes only a part of what Bushmaster puts out, as far as parts markings.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
YELLOV is the inside of the upper a baked on gray finish..like the early colt gray color if it is then yes it could be Bushmaster if not its definately mil-spec.Some uppers inside are anodized black or teflon coated I beleive the gray color is the spec right now.And yes look at the barrel markings past the FSB.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top