Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:46:33 PM EDT
What the general opinion on this? Is it okay to swap a bolt/carrier from one upper to another- say if I had a flat-top upper and bought an A2 upper with no bolt/carrier then sold the flat-top. Would it be okay to put the old B/BC in the new upper?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a set of headspace gauges and check the headspacing.

I have 4 AR15's and one spare bolt/carrier assembly and they all interchange and headspace out correctly with each other.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Although some folks will say it's a definite no/no, I've never had any problems interchanging any bolts and uppers.  It would however be very prudent to do as gunner said and get a set of headspace gauges to make sure the upper/bolt combination that your are swapping to is still in spec.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Although some folks will say it's a definite no/no, I've never had any problems interchanging any bolts and uppers.  It would however be very prudent to do as gunner said and get a set of headspace gauges to make sure the upper/bolt combination that your are swapping to is still in spec.

+1

In theory, swaping the bolts should be OK, and the odds are that you will be all right.  However, there's this thing called Murphy's Law.  Check the headspace anyway.

If you only have to do it once you might as well take to a gunsmith or try to borrow a set from someone.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
No gun is going to explode, and nobody's going to get killed swapping bolts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
What you will get is unevevn wear swapping bolts from upper to upper.I would keep bolts with their respective uppers unless its an I need a bolt to get the rifle back in service.I dont like messing with bolts especially after you ve logged a few thousand rounds on one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top