Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:02:45 PM EDT
So I am at local gunshop/po-po supply here in Austin picking out a new Bushy M4geryA3 and the first rifle they bring out has some nasty crap on the finish.  It is "streaked" with lighter and darker colors, mostly on the upper.  They go back and grab another as that box had gotten wet and the second one looked exactly the same.  It almost looked like someone had splashed acid on it in the process somewhere and it had discolored the upper.  I wish I could have gotten some pictures.  The guy was telling me that Bushy isn't making the uppers but they (Bushmaster) get them in from another source and finish them before sticking them on a Bushy lower.  So they went to get a third one (which I ended up buying) and it really doesn't have too much of that same problem but there is a nasty spot on the bbl that you can't really see anymore after I scrubbed it with a brush for about 20 min.  Like the parkerized finish on the bbl had caked on to thick in that one spot.   What gives?  I thought these were supposed to be top o' the line.  The guy at the shop scrubbed the first two rifles with CLP and a rag and the color started looking better but you could still see streaks in the finish.  After CLPing my whole rifle (as it was pretty dry when I got it) it started looking better but as you can see from the picture there is a big difference in the color of the upper and lower.  This doesn't bother me much as just about all of my firearms are "utility" oriented and after a few thousand rounds at the range or banging around in the truck they look rough anyway.  But I would just like to understand it.  Is there a different finish on the upper and lower?  Is there some other good reason?  Are they all this way and I just was too dense to notice until I bought one?    Anyway, I love my new rifle and can't wait to put it throught its paces on Monday.  I got about 900 rounds waiting to make its aquaintance.  

Debo

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the finish is nothing compared to the problem of your light mount.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I kinda like the blue color of the upper.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Stickman I would love to hear your input on the light mount-  try  here.  I have decided against it because I can't fit my BUIS behind the Eotech but interested anyway in your input.

Debo
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Lighter and darker streaks in the lower are caused by not having the part hot enough for forging.

The streaks then appear after anodizing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stickman I would love to hear your input on the light mount-  try  here.  I have decided against it because I can't fit my BUIS behind the Eotech but interested anyway in your input.

Debo

I'll PM you, give me a few minutes.

Update-  Info sent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a first for me, a blue upper??????    

Purple, blue, Bushy puts out some wild stuff...

Flame suit on.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
To be fair- to the naked eye it doesn't look that blue.  I think the flash brings it out quite a bit.  But you can tell a difference when looking at it.  Is there some different process for the upper than there is for the lower?  Telfon super duper something or other?  Thirsting for knowledge here.  I will try to get some more pics.

Lighter and darker streaks in the lower are caused by not having the part hot enough for forging

Does that go for the upper as well?  All of the lowers seemed fine as well as a stipped lower I bought awhile back.

Debo
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a picture of it with just natural light. I am sure the upper doesn't really look that blue.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
To be fair- to the naked eye it doesn't look that blue.  I think the flash brings it out quite a bit.  But you can tell a difference when looking at it.  Is there some different process for the upper than there is for the lower?  Telfon super duper something or other?  Thirsting for knowledge here.  I will try to get some more pics.

Lighter and darker streaks in the lower are caused by not having the part hot enough for forging

Does that go for the upper as well?  All of the lowers seemed fine as well as a stipped lower I bought awhile back.

Debo

It applies to anything forged from aluminum and anodized.  I am not saying that is what is wrong with this receiver.  It is just a likely explanation.  

There is not teflon anywhere on Bushmasters.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Just keep soaking in CLP or some other type of oil. The streaks will go away. The finish is extremely dry from the finishing process.  I have seen this on practically a brands.  The white stuff is something (can't remember what) left over from the finishing process that rises to the top as the oil soaks in.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could find a purple upper to go with my purple lower .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top