Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:54:21 AM EDT
Hello one and all,

Well . . . yesterday was the final night for our local High Power League.  My 15 year old son shot the league with me for the first time, and needless to say we had a GREAT time ! !

Son was using my fixed stock 16 inch carbine and he did very well.  Now he needs his very own AR ! !

He's not ready for a full "Match Rifle" so been looking at the A2 models by Rock River and Bushmaster.  New rifle will be used for next years' High-Power League, plinking, and the local steel plate shoots.

They all seem to have one draw-back -- trigger pull  ! !   Some are better than others, but most appear to be just "rack grade".

So . . . . is there any way to improve the trigger pull on a "standard" A2, short of installing a new trigger group ? ?   Like I said before, a "Match Rifle' is not needed at this time, as it will also be used also for "just shooting fun".

So . . . any ideas / opinions ? ?

Thanks  ! !
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
For your trigger needs, I keep hearing good things about the Chip McCormick brand "drop in trigger" assembly.  I have no experience with the product but have heard great things about it.

Are you sure you son is not ready for a good "match ready" rifle??  I would think that buying once and then getting as much trigger time with the same weapon would be a great benefit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Bow . .

I understand your view on the Match Grade, but would not want to use a Match Grade rifle for the steel plate shoots and such.

Will check-out the Chip trigger group . . .

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
15 min trigger job.  If ya need the link Ill find it for you but do the 15 min trigger job first.  The most it'll cost you is a hammer spring and some time.  If it works for you and it should then you can worry about match grade triggers at a later time.  Also you might wanna get a dremel and POLISH the fire control group.  If you're not comfortable doing the trigger job then I suggest the cheaper RRA 2 stage trigger.  75 bucks and ten mins of your time and you're good to go.  I put one in my stock class Bushmaster.  Best 75 bucks Ive spent.  Good Luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top