Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2005 5:38:46 AM EDT
has colt ever produced a barrel that wasnt stamped with anything? i have a 16 inch hbar that has no stampings and i want to know who made it has a forged fsb.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
has colt ever produced a barrel that wasnt stamped with anything? i have a 16 inch hbar that has no stampings and i want to know who made it has a forged fsb.

Model1sales or other. Unlikely it's a Colt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
i got ripped off then
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
time to go out and buy a new barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i got ripped off then

If someone told you that was a Colt, you need to hunt them down and get your money back.
You were taken.

Here are some typical Colt markings:

Colt C MP 5.56mm NATO 1/7 HBAR
Colt C MP 5.56mm NATO 1/9 HBAR
Colt C MP 5.56mm NATO 1/12 "Chrome Bore" M16A1
Colt C MP 5.56mm NATO 1/7 M4

Colt F Marked FSB

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
are these good barrels?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
are these good barrels?

The unmarked barrel? No way to know.
The Colt Barrels? Among the best. Gov't proof load tested and magnetic particle inspected for flaws.
Nobody else except FN (Barrel stamped FNMI) has this type of quality control.

Douglas, Krieger (expensive match barrels), Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, Armalite all good too, but Colt/FN are the only guaranteed 100% Proofed/MPI barrels. Bushmaster stamps their Barrels MP but only spot checks so they are not 100%, still good though.

Your barrel might work fine, but if you paid for Colt, you should get your money back.
Model1 barrels are fair, but usually not chrome lined and of a lesser grade of steel (4140 vs 4150).
Also you probably have no idea what twist ratio or chamber (probably 5.56mm but could be .223 chamber)with no markings.

If you can't get your money back, and it's not for professional or LE use, you should just install the barrel, shoot it and evaluate it. If it is accurate, no worries, just shoot it until worn out (15,000 rounds or so for a decent barrel depending on use). It might be just fine for your use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top