Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:49:20 AM EDT
I figured some place is the best and someone here knows where it is.  I need to have a chrome moly tube engraved with my name, and a serial number etc.  I did a search online, but didnt find anything promising.  Where does everyone send items to have them engraved?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely agree.  Steve at Tom Sawyer does great work at  reasonable price with an incredibly fast turn around.  He can engrave anything.  Check out his website.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
tried link above......

OK>.  I need a new place now.  I sent my tube to him, and he replied that it was received on the 1st of Spet.    I have yet to get a quote back, and only one email about getting back to me later on a quote.  

I dont think it would be that hard to get me an estimate on a few lines of engraving a tube, and it shouldnt have taken two weeks without getting any info back from this palce.....

Anyone else out there actually return emais or get a product out?  I have a tube that needs engraved before I make it into a suppressor, and then I will need a lower engraved for  SBR project..
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
He has a 24 hour turn around on SBR receivers, tubes and such.  He however was on vacation and is just getting caught up.  I just had him do $700 worth of receivers (all custom 1 off stuff with grafics etc) and guns for me, and that may have tied him up for a few days.  

He is the nicest guy I know in the business, and does the nicest work.  Laser engraving no longer meets the ATF specs so I would just give him a chance to get back to you as guys like steve and the quality and low price he charges for services don't grow on trees.  

He loves engraving peoples stuff and does not snub the guy who wants 1 receiver or tube done over a manufacturer who wants piles of stuff done.

I will email him with a link to this thread so he knows what is going on.

Here is an example of some remark work for some post dealer sample MG's we are doing:

Here is an SP1 transferrable Registered Reciever MG he did on a variance letter to remark to Commando.

BEFORE

AFTER

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
By the way.  None of that is laser engraving.  Good luck finding someone else.

You can try a trophy shop and they can scratch your info into the tube with their trophy engraver, but it wont meet the ATF marking specs either.

This is all done by hand one at a time on a machine that is normally used to engrave coin stamping dies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are all fine and dandy........
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
By the way.  None of that is laser engraving.  Good luck finding someone else.

You can try a trophy shop and they can scratch your info into the tube with their trophy engraver, but it wont meet the ATF marking specs either.

This is all done by hand one at a time on a machine that is normally used to engrave coin stamping dies.

What would meet the specs now?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I will drop a check in the mail for you today...

The last email I got said you would get back to me with a price when you go back to the shop....

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Man that is some clean engraving.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Steve does great work! He fixed a local engravers screw up on my SBR markings. Great guy! Fast turn around! No worries and he will get all my engraving work in the future.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Man that is some clean engraving.

+1

Wow

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate to do this..............but I told you so. Who else is there?  And the guy loves doing it to boot!

I should correct what I said earlier about laser engraving.  There is nothing specifically mentioned about laser engraving in the ATF specs for marking.  99% of laser engravers cannot meet the depth specs set out by ATF.  All they really do is burn through the anodizing.  The markings would vanish if coated, refinished or bead blasted.  Laser engraving is one of the reasons the ATF came out with the specs.

If you know someone who has a $2 million dollar YAG laser that can cut like steves high speed engraving tips, all the power to you, but I doubt he would charge $25 and ship overnight.

See the logo work Steve applied to my receiver?  $45 bucks depending on complexity.  A one time set up fee for a logo if you are only doing a one off, but if you are a PD or have several receivers to do, he usually doesn't charge for the set up.  I do not know his exact pricing structure, but with all the work I had done, that is what the logo cost.  I know it hinges on many factors.

Sorry Steve, I know you don't like to brag on yourself, so I will do it for you.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks great.  The check is in the mail.....

I will chalk my problems with this up to bad communication.   I look forward to getting hte tube, and then sending my lower receiver out for something special....

Thanks
Zach
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here is an SP1 transferrable Registered Reciever MG he did on a variance letter to remark to Commando.

BEFORE

AFTER

man, this is EXACTLY what i'm looking for!!!

do i need a variance letter if i want to add "u.s. propty"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have mine done by a Trophy shop (not laser).  It meets the depth and height requirements.

48thHighlander -  On what basis will the engraving by a trophy shop not meet ATF requirements?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Using a 60 Watt Nd-YAg laser is how I marked all my AR type receivers while I was a Type 07 FFL.

(Which I am not now...)

After laser they were bead blasted then anodized.

( the mag latch is removed because I was scribing the location on a few Uzi mags for my 9mm upper when I took this pic. )
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 for Steve, he did 2 SBR lowers for me and I'm gonna get two AR VA lowers from him.  The BEST IMHO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top