User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:26:24 PM EDT
buy the upper or lower first?

or parts and such?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
buy parts and let it slowly evolve into an AR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The way I am doing it now. I have so many parts laying around, that all I need is a stripped lower, LPK, and a B/BC/CH to make a complete carbine. Im going KISS this time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
buy parts and let it slowly evolve into an AR.

I tried that once. When the ban sunset, I was going to slowly build my first AR over about a year. A month later I was popping steal with my new M4gery build. Only reason it took that long was because Bushy was so backlogged with orders. I usually buy the lower first--it's the biggest hassle and nice to get out of the way, and it's the one item you would need to possess (and would become the most scarce) if another ban was introduced.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had to choose I'd concentrate on building the upper first. You can install the newly completed upper on your existing lower and begin using it right away-it's almost like having two rifles. Having two completed lowers for a single upper isn't nearly as useful
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
For my next build, I would buy the stripped lower first.

Then buy the parts one at a time or all the parts at the same time in an emergency.

On my current middy build I'm only short of the barrel assy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
For my next one, I'm gonna buy some parts here and there.

I did something similar with my new build, but I have inadvertently built 2 AR's so far this year (actually 2 in 2.5 months) so I'm done for awhile.

I was planning on getting a part here and there with my new one, but Talon Arms had Sabre Defence barrels and were running low on supply, so I bought one. When I did that, I'm like "Well, I need an upper, bolt/carrier, charging handle, vice block, BUIS, etc., etc." So my mid-length rifle project that I had planned for late this fall, early this winter, ended up being 100% completed by Monday this week

If you have the willpower, buy a part or 2 at a time. If not, you'll have a rifle in no time at all.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Empty all your piggy banks, check under the couch cushions for loose change, turn in all those damn aluminum cans your wife has been making you save along with 1/2 of your stash money, (I say 1/2 because you'll need money for bullets, burgers, booze and ....Gas.) Get all that money and throw caution to the wind! Go and get all the parts you need! It will make you happy, and don't you deserve to be happy??? You bought that stupid excercise machine for the wife...and your kids are bound to get into dope if you give them any more allowence than they are getting now. (Those little pirates...)  What happened to that spontanious kid you used to be? The one that didn't have a care in the world??? Fight back! Fight the forces that have twisted and crushed you into the penny pincher that you have become. You deserve the best!! Why wait? Why settle for meager bits when you can take CHUNKS!?!?! Stand up man, make us proud!!!!!

Ah I'm just kidding. I'd go with a lower first. It needs to be registered. In the meanwhile the parts for completting a lower don't cost much and you can get pretty much everything you need in one buy. I'd start with the lower and see from there. If things look good, I'd them get a complete upper to save time, but if it ain't in the budget yet, I'd go ahead and get a good barrel next.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If your like must people you will aquire your first AR, then accessorize it.   During this course you get new stocks, rails, bbls and uppers.  Then you notice all you need is another lower for a complete gun!  Then you start accessorizing for the new gun with addition parts then the cycle repeats itself.

CD
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
true that but i dont have that many spare parts on hand.. i want to build a 20incher.. might buy the stripped lower today
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]
all suggestions to this point are good

For me, I decide first what I want to end up with.

From there, I will do a general budget for the parts, and prioritize them based on their cost, time to acquire (availability, etc) and get started

It is not the best idea to simply start buying parts randomly and hope your goal takes shape along the way.

I like Tweak's idea of the lower first since that is the legal firearm part, and "could" represent a "pre-ban" part if future legislation "gets" us.

Plus it is the foundation and is universal to all configurations.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I would buy the lower first because you will have to go through the 2 day waiting period.  Depending on if you have all the money, order the upper on the same day.  This way, the upper will be processed (if not, shipped) while you are waiting for the lower.  Depending on who you order from, you might even get the upper on the same day you go to pick up the lower.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#13]
i can get the lower today no problems xring is near by and pdhsc sells rr stripped lowers
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top