Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:31:42 PM EDT
I guess I should have asked first, however I just ordered my RRA w/ a stainless barrel.
Any advice on the stainless bbl?
This is the model.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/Stinke/AR_Tac_UTE2_SS.gif
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can always replace the barrel if you really dont like it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
notice the 1/8 twist?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It's shiny.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
But is shiny going to be a good thing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Stainless Steel is a good thing...not sure about the 1/8 twist.

If you don't like the raw ss, you can always MolyCoat or DuraCoat it...I think that stuff sticks to stainless.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

There was a thread a few weeks ago but I can't find it.  Someone suggested the above blackener for stainless.  I ordered some a few days ago but it hasn't come in yet.  The thread had some pictues of stainless being turned black and the results looked good.  I wouldn't swap the barrel out, it's supposed to be a nice barrel.  Here's another thread on the barrel:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=240498
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats up with the rear sight and rail????

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That weapon is going to shoot great, and the 1/8 twist will let you shoot just about anything through it.  

Though I'm not a fan of that style upper, I think you did real well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Stick your opinion means alot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
My SS barrels have all done VERY well for me, regardless of what some of the people around here will tell you.  

I've worked on weapons that have SS barrels where the steel barrel extension was worn, but the barrel itself was still shooting fine.

Slowly the SS misconceptions are being overturned around here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Great shooter.

Many precision shooters opt for the 1/8 stainless

I think it adds a nice touch for a carbine.

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the upper,saves the trouble of cutting down a carry handle and is way stronger than a flip up.Still plenty of room for an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's not a duty rifle the shiney SS bbl is great. 1/8" IMO is the best AR twist rate. You can shoot any load made from that bbl. from the lightest to the heaviest and it will be accurate as a mofo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#15]
RRA can't spell "Universal"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I hadn't noticed lol
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like the upper,saves the trouble of cutting down a carry handle and is way stronger than a flip up.Still plenty of room for an aimpoint.

That is supposed to be what is for. That is why I chose it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive got an Oly with a stainless bbl.. Its an 11.5"x5.5"  shoots the best out all of them.. I had it moly resined a couple years ago... Love that gun!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
You did good, it should be a nice rifle.  If you dont like the steel just paint it with some High temp paint and cure it.  You can get Duplicolor at any Auto parts store or walmart and it's only $5, just red the directions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Damnit Eagle just e-mailed and said my dealers FFL was unlegible via fax so they are snail-mailing it!!
Another few days of anxiety
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
For the sake of long term durability I like that the backup irons are attached and unable to loosen up and fall off.

Those stainless 1/8 air-gauged Wilson barrels kick ass and are durable as hell. They'd be well worth the money even at a higher price

Nicely configured rifle. It will probably outlast you and your children
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There was a thread a few weeks ago but I can't find it.  Someone suggested the above blackener for stainless.  I ordered some a few days ago but it hasn't come in yet.  The thread had some pictues of stainless being turned black and the results looked good.  I wouldn't swap the barrel out, it's supposed to be a nice barrel.  Here's another thread on the barrel:

Frome your above website:

"Black Oxide works on steel or iron parts only and will not blacken Stainless Steel."  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't worry you picked a great rifle.  I have several Rock River AR's and they all look and function great.  One has a stainless steel 1:8 twist and it loves black hills 77gr ammo.  You did good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks for the ammo adviceh.gif
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For the sake of long term durability I like that the backup irons are attached and unable to loosen up and fall off.

Those stainless 1/8 air-gauged Wilson barrels kick ass and are durable as hell. They'd be well worth the money even at a higher price

The leader of the colt cult just commented about how great RRA is. Satan better have a winter coat...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those stainless 1/8 air-gauged Wilson barrels kick ass and are durable as hell. They'd be well worth the money even at a higher price hildren

The leader of the colt cult just commented about how great RRA is.hock.gif Satan better have a winter coat... hr

LOL
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Black Oxide works on steel or iron parts only and will not blacken Stainless Steel."  

If you would of continued to the next paragraph, you would of seen:
"For Stainless Steel: Stainless Steel Blackener 370"
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
All I know is I have a SS RRA Varminter, and it pops those little doggies at 300 yards without a problem.  Not sure if I like the upper, but it is a fine AR.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The leader of the colt cult just commented about how great RRA is. Satan better have a winter coat...

For the record I happen to love RRA. They are an excellent value for the money-and the people who put them together actually give a shit about what they're doing-which is far more than I can say for some other companies

There are actually more Rock River ARs in my collection than Colt's
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my Stainless Steel Blackener 370 in the other day and I tried it out when I was home for the weekend.  I am happy with the results on my SS barrel and will post some pictures in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I actually like the design of the upper, would be great for co-witness. As for the barrel........ it is shiny so it might give you away in low/no light conditions, wrap some black para-cord around it...............that would actually be really sweet and the 1-8 twist................. shoot the frickin' piss outta it Maynard!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

D'oh!!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I actually like the design of the upper, would be great for co-witness. As for the barrel........ it is shiny so it might give you away in low/no light conditions, wrap some black para-cord around it...............that would actually be really sweet he

para cord? that'd kinda change the harmonics wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know about the accuracy for this model?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Bump to see if we can get a couple of answers
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My results with my SS barrel and the blackener.  It's looks slightly grey, but it looks nice and dark with some CLP on it.  I'm happy with the results.

Before

After

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#38]
dumb ass people trippin off the 1/8 barrel, so the fuck what??  "ohhhh look at the 1/8 barrel!!!"  jesus you people get on my nerves.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
dumb ass people trippin off the 1/8 barrel, so the fuck what??  "ohhhh look at the 1/8 barrel!!!"  jesus you people get on my nerves.

Somebody have a bad day?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My results with my SS barrel and the blackener.  It's looks slightly grey, but it looks nice and dark with some CLP on it.  I'm happy with the results.

Before
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/Tomtx/SS_barrel.jpg

After
img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/Tomtx/SS_blackener.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/Tomtx/SS_blackener2.jpg

That turned out nice man... Good job!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hmm! did anyone say "ohhhh look at the 1/8 barrel!!!" ?
Stupid people entertain me!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Noon today It should be here!!!
I have no mose finger nails!!!
Very, Very Excited!!!!
Can't wait to sight 'er in
Then I'm going home to
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top