Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 12:31:09 PM EDT
Hello all. From day one, my 16" barreled AR could never shoot more than 60-80 rounds of Wolf ammo without jamming. As soon as this AR gets a little dirty, it has a real hard time digesting 62 grain  Wolf ammo. ( But will continue to shoot just fine with just about anything else.) So I decided to cut 3 coils from my buffer spring, in order to reduce some of the tension for the under powered Wolf .223 ammo.  So what do you think? Was this a smart thing to do, or am I a complete dumb ass?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Trying to be nice, I would say you killed a spring without solving the problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Problem one .. WOLF SUCKS!

use different Ammo dude...  --> Range ammo should be the sae as duty ammo. 69 Boat Tail hollow point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, lets just say it wasn't a smart thing to do.

What exactly was wrong with it?

Was it short-stroking and not coming back far enough to load the next round?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The *smart* thing to do would be to ask here *before* doing anything...........

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Think/measure twice; cut once.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried any other ammo. Why did you married a brand of ammunition instead of your rifle. I have heard some bad stuff about WOLF ammo. I shoot that stuff through my AK's and it works flawless but I am not ready to try it on any of my AR's.

Just mu $.02!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
From the tone of your post it sounds like you already know that you fucked up
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

use different Ammo dude...  --> Range ammo should be the sae as duty ammo. 69 Boat Tail hollow point.

You must get ammo from .gov or you're rich.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
From the tone of your post it sounds like you already know that you fucked up

+1

what would suck is if you start having problems with "other" loads
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I use wolf  55gr for my primary plinking ammo and so far my only problems has come from crappy mags.

About the spring I would have checked here before I did it, but i don't think a new spring will cost you to much
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dont forget hand to hand should also be done with competition pads and no headgear for hand to hand.  

This has to be one of the dumbest mantras around.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I run Wolf ammo all the time as well as NATO spec Brass ammo. Only had 1 problem with the Malaysian grain FMJ out of the last 1200 rounds I recently went through and 2 problems with the wolf 55 grain ammo out of the last 1000 round case I bought. Both wolf problems were bad primers.

Most if not all ARs should eat up Wolf fine. Yes Wolf is a little on the dirty side.

I found Wolf to be loaded a little hotter than other rounds?? Never Underpowered. That stuff is meant mostly for AKs in 5.56 I believe, but shoots just fine in my AR too.

Sounds like you need a new buffer spring my friend!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I run Wolf ammo all the time as well as NATO spec Brass ammo. Only had 1 problem with the Malaysian grain FMJ out of the last 1200 rounds I recently went through and 2 problems with the wolf 55 grain ammo out of the last 1000 round case I bought. Both wolf problems were bad primers.

Most if not all ARs should eat up Wolf fine. Yes Wolf is a little on the dirty side.

I found Wolf to be loaded a little hotter than other rounds?? Never Underpowered. That stuff is meant mostly for AKs in 5.56 I believe, but shoots just fine in my AR too.

Sounds like you need a new buffer spring my friend!

Check that post count!

Cool!

LOL
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
if Wolf chokes your rifle...then theres a problem with your rifle. if you have a chrome lined 5.56mm chamber, and a good bolt (i use colt bolts but BM and RRA are good too) then wolf will cause you no problems.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Some AR's are picky about what they digest. When in doubt, always change the ammo before you change the gun
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't make it a habit to shoot Wolf regularly, because I opt instead to use M193/M855/Fed FMJBT for target shooting and training.

That being said if I owned a rifle that choked on Wolf or some other bargain ammo I'd ditch that rifle if I couldn't fix the problem. Even though some people treat their ARs with kid gloves they are supposed to be battle weapons, capable of handling whatever we throw at them-assuming reasonable care and PM of course.

Every rifle I own that could theoretically be tasked for defensive use gets a mixed bag of bargain ammo thrown through it during it's initial function and reliability test. My new LE6920 was recently subjected to a "ghetto cocktail" of several different types of ammo mixed together in the same mags. I put 500rds worth of PMP, Wolf, reloads, Fed, UMC etc through it with only two malfunctions (setback rounds on improperly crimped reloads-my fault).

If your rifle can't handle that, then keep it for range use or sell it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So what do you think? Was this a smart thing to do, or am I a complete dumb ass?

Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but a complete dumb ass would drilled out the gas port on the barrel and cut coils off his spring.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think/measure twice; cut once DON'T CUT ANYTHING.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

*shakes head and sighs*

Once again, I've never had a problem with 1000 rounds of 62 gr. Wolf FMJ and 40 rounds of 55 gr. Wolf HP in my rifle...Only jams I've had have been magazine problems.  Your rifle is different though. I've heard some people that like Wolf and use it alot as plinking ammo and I've heard others say it's not good. I go by my own experience. I don't really think cutting your buffer spring was the smartest thing in the world to do....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
First of all, I stated that the rifle will eat just about anything, without any problems. ( So I have, and do use, other types of brass cased ammo. The rifle that I'm talking about is a 16" J&T upper, with a Bushmaster lower. This rifle is one of my range rifles. In other words, It's one of my beaters. The only reason I buy,and use Wolf ammo, is for the money that I save when blasting. I might as well inform you all right now, that  each and every one of my firearms, gets a complete breakdown after each range session, and is carefully inspected for broken or worn parts, followed by a somewhat anal CLP wipe down.  As for that damn spring, they are rather inexpensive, and I do have a spare. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
you could always try drillin' out the gas port to .250
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
First of all, I stated that the rifle will eat just about anything, without any problems. ( So I have, and do use, other types of brass cased ammo. The rifle that I'm talking about is a 16" J&T upper, with a Bushmaster lower. This rifle is one of my range rifles. In other words, It's one of my beaters. The only reason I buy,and use Wolf ammo, is for the money that I save when blasting. I might as well inform you all right now, that  each and every one of my firearms, gets a complete breakdown after each range session, and is carefully inspected for broken or worn parts, followed by a somewhat anal CLP wipe down.  As for that damn spring, they are rather inexpensive, and I do have a spare. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Hey, this ain't nothin'. Post about using a dremel and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
you could always try drillin' out the gas port to .250

This just shows   "we have an asshole in every group"
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Range ammo should be the sae as duty ammo. 69 Boat Tail hollow point.

Duty ammo is 69 grain BTHP? What country issues that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Truer words have never been spoken
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you shot it since you made the cut? I would say you messed up though. Wolf is the only thing I shoot through my Bushy and it's never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
am I a complete dumb ass?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Well once again, (SOME OF) AR 15 's keyboard commandos, have done there best to make a fellow member look and feel like a complete moron. It's good to know that alot of us newer members are in good hands, with all of the obnoxious walking books of knowledge we have here on AR15.com
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Check the troubleshooting forum to read about my problems with a 24" Bushmaster barreled mutt gun cycling wolf.

After some fixes, it cycles Wolf properly. Use stock springs and make sure your gas key is on TIGHT (lapping the gas key helps, as is using threadlocker on the gas key bolts and torquing to 45 in-lb). Also make sure your gas tube mushroom isn't worn out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#31]
 This seems so simple.  No other ammo manufacturer (well, maybe American and Olyimpic) has so much controversy attached to them as does Wolf.  Just look at this post.  There are proportionately way too many unhappy wolf customers to simply blame the gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
check your gas key on the bolt carrier.  Is it loose?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well once again, (SOME OF) AR 15 's keyboard commandos, have done there best to make a fellow member look and feel like a complete moron. It's good to know that alot of us newer members are in good hands, with all of the obnoxious walking books of knowledge we have here on AR15.com

Keyboard commando my ass.  Anybody who is cutting links off their buffer spring just because they think it will allow them to shoot Wolf ammo, when the weapon works fine with other ammo obviously has a few things to learn. And you will. We have all been dumbasses at once time or another, this was your time. Stop being so sensitive. Take your licks and drive on. But that is pretty dumb.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]
axe the wolf ammo, brass will always work better then aluminum with whatever coating on it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
axe the wolf ammo, brass will always work better then aluminum with whatever coating on it?

Wolf is steel, with polymer coating - not aluminum.

I have shot well over 3,000 rounds of it through 3 different uppers with not one single failure or problem.

Amazing, huh?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
First is your AR fairly new? if so then you need to run a few thousand rounds of good ammo so the rifle breaks in and the spring is not as tight.Could just be a fairly new spring and that with under powered wolf can cause those malfunctions.Do you use an H buffer?That with a stiff spring will do it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Look this is pretty simple.  Some people have wonderful results with Wolf others like my self cant get it to work in their ARs.  Wolf has changed their coating from lacquer to polymer.  Some people get great groups some people dont.   I know for a fact that the old WOLF was grossly underpowered and inconsistant.  I wont modify my $850.00 Bushmaster so that I can shoot what is cheap ammo.  If you want to do that to your rifle then go for it. But dont post on here this is what ya did and was it a smart idea and be shocked and hurt by the comments that are posted in reply.  I will put ANY and ALL WOLF thru my AKs as they arent as inherently as accurate as an AR and will in fact shoot anything. Just my thoughts.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
First is your AR fairly new? if so then you need to run a few thousand rounds of good ammo so the rifle breaks in and the spring is not as tight.Could just be a fairly new spring and that with under powered wolf can cause those malfunctions.Do you use an H buffer?That with a stiff spring will do it.

Model927, My range AR is about 4 years old, and has around 2,500 - 3,000 rds through it, and most of these rds. were my reloads. My upper is a 16" J&T, and I purchased it new. When you said (H buffer) what did you meen? The buffer that's in it now, is the one that came with my J&T upper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Go on and order your new spring now.

When you go to the range with your clipped spring you will notice vastly increased recoil, more likely than not, some stovepiping (empty case stuck in ejection port with fresh round shoved halfway up into the chamber).

A replacement spring will fix this.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top