Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 4:22:10 AM EDT
I picked up a LE6920 a few weeks ago.  Picked this gun out of two that the shop had in stock.  Both of the guns had slight imperfections in the finish, two or three each.  Just wondering how common this is straight from the factory.  Is this just colt or what?  I would not purchased a pistol with the same imperfections.  I did buy the 6920 to shoot, not for speculation.  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have one LE6920, and mine was perfect right out of the box.  Furthermore, it wasn't handled by 50 people at a gun store, it came directly from SAW to my FFL.  I just got a LE Commando (still at dealer) and from my inspections at the shop it looks great too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I got 2, one is absolutely perfect.  

The other one had two blemishes:

1) some excess plastic on the upper handguard from the molding process, just shaved it off with a razor blade
2) boogered up carry handle bolt holes

I've since put a scratch on the serial number area with my metal watch band  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I only have one LE6920, and mine was perfect right out of the box.  Furthermore, it wasn't handled by 50 people at a gun store, it came directly from SAW to my FFL.  I just got a LE Commando (still at dealer) and from my inspections at the shop it looks great too.

Le Commando

Is that a french variant?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt................................imperfection?!?!?!?!

Even the "best" can't get it perfect.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
the one I got was just fine no marks,,,,
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the one I got was just fine no marks,,,,

Same w/ the few Colts that I own. -Justin
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Of the two I've owned, one looked like it had been put together by a trained monkey, the other one was fine.

I only have the second one now.

FWIW I've seen brand new Colt M4's in a USMC armory, they don't look any better than my LE6920's. It's a rack grade service rifle, not a piece of art.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Repeat after me:

IT'S A FIGHTING GUN. IT'S GOING TO GET BLEMISHED THE FIRST TIME YOU USE IT. IF IT DOESN'T AFFECT FUNCTION IT ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I put a little gun oil on it and you can't see the two marks.  
It does shoot straight.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep +1 that everyone has said.  Use your gear.  You can only improve as you use it.  Kinda like a brand new car.  As soon as you park in Walmart, viola a dent!  Thats just me.

Max
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
For what it's worth both of my 6400Cs looked like dogshit out of the box, but they cleaned up pretty well.

Five minutes after getting the 1st one home:

Cleaned up:

As mentioned above they aren't intended to be artwork, though I can certainly relate with someone who just dropped a grand plus on a rifle and wanting it to look like it wasn't assembled in a garage.

No worries though Spacelife-shoot it hard and treat it like a bastard stepchild
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
This ain't yer grand-daddys weatherby....so...I wouldn't let it bother me in the least...as long as it has a nice crisp trigger and goes bang everytime ya pull it?...you're good to go...and typically?...it's the rifle that's all scratched up with most of the finish missing around the shiney aluminum lips of the magwell that's..."Everybodys Favorite".

btw...the prettiest girl at the dance is rarely...if ever...the best lay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Of the two I've owned, one looked like it had been put together by a trained Union monkey, ...

Fixed if for ya! and as such they prefer the term Cercopithecus Doctus
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot it a thousand times. Does it go "bang!" a thousand times? If so you're good to go. By the way, my  Colts all have some kind of "imperfection" on it. But they all go bang when I want them to. I'm happy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine had several imperfections.  Not a real good anodizing job.  Barrel had worn out pakerizing probably due to assembly.  Oh well it's a shooter.

Max
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never seen any AR15s that did not have some sort of "imperfection" straight from the factory, be it Colt, or any other make.

The anodized finish is very sensitive to surface scratches, most can be removed by wiping down with CLP.

The only exception that I have seen would be DPMSs, but that's because they use a teflon coating which is just simply more scratch resistant.

Just go out, shoot the darn thing and have fun!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
When I bought my Colt LE6450 9mm, I looked at three NIB (never been touched by human hands - outside of the factory).  I picked the nicest of the three.  

They all had some type of imperfections.  I didn't really care but still looked at all of them.  Well, maybe I cared a little.    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top