Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:42:29 PM EDT
How good is the National Match A2 rifle put out by Rock River Arms?  Does anything else need to be done to it to compete and potentially win?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Just put a sling on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ready to win matches right out of the box. +1 on a quality sling and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto on the above comments. The most important thing you need to do is practice.  The shooter is the weakest link 99.999% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree with above posts. Got mine a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You need some weight in the stock to balance the rifle. Better yet is weight in the handguards and stock to bring the rifle up to 12 lbs. minimum. If you want a light rifle, you will find that as many pennies as you can cram in the stock will balance the rifle if no additional weight is used in the handguards.

Also put a bead of ATV silicone (black) on the charging handle where it meets the receiver and it will keep gas out of your eyes or on your shooting glasses. Now you are ready to compete.

Excellent choice on the Rock River. Here is something you may not know about your rifle, if you reverse the elevation wheel, that is turn it upside down, you will have the choice of 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch elevation adjustment clicks. Good luck competing!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I ordered mine and am told they're in stock.  What is the best sling to use?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I ordered mine and am told they're in stock.  What is the best sling to use?

The USGI M1 sling is the cheapest and as good as the $60 leather M1907s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with SWO_daddy on the sling.  Make sure you get the cotton one and NOT the nylon one.  I never liked the leather ones, used the cotton jobs for well over 49 years now and see no need to change.

I have a RRA NM and it will shoot .5 moa all day long off the bench, if I do my part it will shoot .3moa, and it has gone .2moa on the odd occasion.  I shoot the Hornady 75 grain bullet and RL15 or  N135, either one works fine.

I'd shoot the gun some before you weight it.  It will weigh about ten pounds as it comes, without sling or magazine.  I weighted mine in the butt to 12 pounds.  Hangs really well offhand.  Some like them heavier, some lighter.

I found the rear aperture too small, reamed it to .046" and bought another one which I reamed to .052".  Just something else you have to try for yourself.

Good luck and good shooting!

Phil

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ditto the RRA NM Upper with a RRA NM trigger.  I put a Turner Biothane sling on mine.  The keepers are more secure than the leather ones.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Never get a cotton sling if you're at all serious about competing.

Get a Turner Biothane sling or the leather equivalent.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How good is the National Match A2 rifle put out by Rock River Arms?  Does anything else need to be done to it to compete and potentially win?

GYSG Julia Watson shot a 792 with hers right out of the box

What? I thought she still used an M-14...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The biothane slings are the best, there harder to get in and out of but once your in, they stay put. They will also greatly outlast the leather slings. With the leather slings you will be replacing the keepers and not to long after the sling. I get about 3 years sometimes a bit longer with the leather but then again this is with daily practice. The leather will stretch in the holes, the biothane takes a slight set, the holes will develope two slits but they stop there and will not go any farther. The keepers are stapled and hold up well.

If you get a biothane, hang it up in a room, they are real tacky at first and will stink up the room, in a week or two, they air out and will be easier to use (not as tacky)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here is something you may not know about your rifle, if you reverse the elevation wheel, that is turn it upside down, you will have the choice of 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch elevation adjustment clicks. Good luck competing!

That is interesting

IIRC, I read the ad for the DCM Bushmaster and it offers 1/4 or 1/2 adjustment as different options

RRA must use different set-up or parts

I also read an article about the founder of RRA who commented that the Match A2 was their best seller

also announced a "new" trigger was on the way for them

can't date the article, but found it noteworthy

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Well Talyn hows this for serious for competing? I competed for 31 years with cotton slings, shot Master across the course, High Master at long range before there was a High Master classification, won more State Championships and stuff than I can remember.  I NEVER had a problem with those slings.  You might want to get a bit more experience before you make idiotic comments like that.

Phil
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You might want to get a bit more experience before you make idiotic comments like that.

Good for you.  I've got 20+ years of DCM/CMP experience and have placed first or second the last two years at my new local club. So I have some experience.  In all my experience I've never seen anyone do as well with cotton slings as leather, but I guess you're a rare exception.  The newer biothane slings are the best.  So congrats on your success but before you start calling people idiots you should ask them what they're experiences are.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm just getting started, but the cotton web slings don't work well for me either. I find them prone to loosening right in the middle of a rapid fire string. The leather stays put. Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is something you may not know about your rifle, if you reverse the elevation wheel, that is turn it upside down, you will have the choice of 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch elevation adjustment clicks. Good luck competing!

That is interesting

IIRC, I read the ad for the DCM Bushmaster and it offers 1/4 or 1/2 adjustment as different options

I also read an article about the founder of RRA who commented that the Match A2 was their best seller

Please explain the yellow part.  Turning it upside down doesn't change the detent positions, nor does it change the thread pitch.  HTF does this happen????
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is interesting

Please explain the yellow part.  Turning it upside down doesn't change the detent positions, nor does it change the thread pitch.  HTF does this happen????

It does change the detent positions, twice as many detents spaced closer together, look at the elevation wheel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Not trying to flame anyone however I also currently hold high master classification, and as an NRA certified coach and captain of two teams I can tell you almost no one uses the web sling who is serious. Stretch is only one of the problems with them.

I also would encourage anyone to use what is working for them. It is indeed possible to shoot impresive scores with the web sling as Mitchel Maxberry is living testament to this. But most do best with the leather or biothane and this is what dominates the firing lines.

The web sling is cheap enough so anyone can give it a try and be there own judge. One plus for the web is it is much more user friendly for a beginner.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is interesting

It does change the detent positions, twice as many detents spaced closer together, look at the elevation wheel.

Who's NM sight are you running?  I'm not sure I've ever seen this before.  I may have to go home and check my NM sights out.  If true, thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Never get a cotton sling if you're at all serious about competing.

You must tell John Holliger that.  If you've won more national level awards than him.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm just getting started, but the cotton web slings don't work well for me either. I find them prone to loosening right in the middle of a rapid fire string. The leather stays put. Just my $0.02.

You might want to review my sling link a few posts above yours and make sure you are using it right.  When properly rigged, the M1 sling gets tighter around your arm the more you pull on it, just like Bigbore said.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Mongo,

Right now, I am running Rock Rivers NM sights on my personal rifle. The first thing I do to a rifle out of the box is to pull the sights, clean them and check the windage screw/aperture for back lash (play). If it checks out, I lube them and reassemble and put the dial indicator on them, if they are repeatable  I run them.

Some don't like the R.R. hood as it as well as most hoods sticks out to far and they have issues depending on there position with the hood touching their glasses. For me its not an issue. My other choice would be the Bob Jones sight. I have found the B.J. sight to be well thought out, he attaches the interchangable apertures to the front of the sight and there is lots of room in the back so it does not touch your glasses, plus you can install his lense corrections if needed. This is an individual preference some may or may not need.

Rock River uses a solid elevation wheel with no number markings and drills one side, for 1/4 and the other side for 1/2 detents. I took some pics and will post as soon as I find a server and figure out how.

Heres the link    http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/229/18/RockRiverNMSights73178.jpg
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mongo,

Right now, I am running Rock Rivers NM sights on my personal rifle. The first thing I do to a rifle out of the box is to pull the sights, clean them and check the windage screw/aperture for back lash (play). If it checks out, I lube them and reassemble and put the dial indicator on them, if they are repeatable  I run them.

Some don't like the R.R. hood as it as well as most hoods sticks out to far and they have issues depending on there position with the hood touching their glasses. For me its not an issue. My other choice would be the Bob Jones sight. I have found the B.J. sight to be well thought out, he attaches the interchangable apertures to the front of the sight and there is lots of room in the back so it does not touch your glasses, plus you can install his lense corrections if needed. This is an individual preference some may or may not need.

Rock River uses a solid elevation wheel with no number markings and drills one side, for 1/4 and the other side for 1/2 detents. I took some pics and will post as soon as I find a server and figure out how.

I also noticed my RRA NM elevation wheel has twice as many detents on one side.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Rock River uses a solid elevation wheel with no number markings and drills one side, for 1/4 and the other side for 1/2 detents.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll confirm this. Learned it at Perry when a shooter on the team had a slight run-in with a coach, and he sight got disassembled on the line as a result. Her father went to the RRA sales rep, and it turns out the guy who he talked to was the machinist who made it.

Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#29]
You must tell John Holliger that. If you've won more national level awards than him.

You're a real comedian.  Feel better now?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You must tell John Holliger that. If you've won more national level awards than him.

You're a real comedian.  Feel better now?

Hits too close to home?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Na.  Your comment is just so stupid.

Mr. Holliger & Mr. Maxberry are legends & I won't disparage their accomplishments because they used a web.  However, I can name alot more top shooters over the last 20 years that don't use a web.  Plus why don't you poll the current USMC and USAMU Teams and give us a report.  

Nobody at Perry has won with web sling in a loooong time.  Maybe someone will again, but the vast majority of serious shooters don't use a web sling for the reasons already known. But if one works for you good luck.

I hope you don't make a living being a comedian.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top