Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:28:02 AM EDT
I just got my first AR-15 in a trade. Got a sweet 1981 Colt SP1. I wasnt expecting something like this. Originally I was just looking for something to start with, so I can build something I really want. I'd like to put a .50 cal upper on it, or maybe a 308. Change out the handguards, the stock, and the trigger. But I just cant bring myself to do this to such a original gun. I know I can just keep the stuff that i take off, just to make it original again one day if I want to, but I think I'll feel horrible about it if I do. What would you do in this situation? Should I just try again and get a different gun to do this with, or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks!!!

RC
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Get rid of it and you will kick yourself later.  If you can't keep it due to finiancial situations and really want another AR15, just remember that you have been warned.

A .308 won't work on that weapon, but most other calibers will, so my advice would be stop and figure out EXACTLY what you want before you do anything else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
i would just build up another one
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I hate SP1ns but that's just me.  

Carbines, rifles, or both?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Leave the SP1 alone. Just buy a new lower for $100 stripped then buy parts as you go in no time you will have a complete new gun built. I would love to have a original Colt SP1.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
too have a 1981 Colt SP1 I bought new in that year.  It remains the way I bought it and will always stay that way.  Since then I have bought several other AR-15.  I have modified a couple and left a couple stock, at least for now.  I enjoy them all but will always have a soft spot for my completely stock SP1.  

My opinion for what it's worth......keep it and leave it alone!  Buy another AR-15 and modify it to your hearts desire.  As stated above, you will regret it if you get rid of it or mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an A2 lower and I need an SP1 lower...I'd trade!!

Then you could put any upper you want on it, sell the SP1 upper, and then not feel guilty.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would defineatly leave it as is.  Just spend a couple bucks on a Stag lower and a parts kit for your build.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't listen to these people...IM me and trade the lower for mine...you know you want to...*Jedi mind trick*
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I do believe that I'll just leave it alone, and keep it as is. It really shoots great, I couldnt believe how great it was shooting at 200 the other day. I have wanted one since i got out of the Army 7 years ago. The only thng that really bugs me are the handguards. I cant stand those triangular handguards. Would I be stupid for changing those out for some round ones?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Leave the SP1 alone dickhead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What an asshole.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
You want a .308 or .50 cal?  Get an AR10.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an asshole.

Richard- Dick  Cranium - Head
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an asshole.

Seriously...I need an SP1 lower...*hint hint*
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an asshole.

Maybe it doesn't translate in spanish?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What an asshole.

Hey sport, you notice his user name?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Alrighty then!!! LOL!!!...so...the question of this thread is to answer what "I" would do with your vintage SP1 eh?...okay...here goes....

First?...I'd make certain the SP1 was clean and unloaded and lay it on my coffee table in front of my TV...then I'd break out my frisbee and do a couple bong hits as I sucked down a nice cold tall beer and stick a frozen pizza in the oven just before pressing the "play movie" button on my dvd player to watch "Hamburger Hill"...or?..."Platoon".....or?...."Apocolypse Now"....hell...maybe a triple header provided of course I didn't run out of beer, pizza or frisbee.
ps...jus jok'in 'bout the frisbee thing...L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alrighty then!!! LOL!!!...so...the question of this thread is to answer what "I" would do with your vintage SP1 eh?...okay...here goes....

First?...I'd make certain the SP1 was clean and unloaded and lay it on my coffee table in front of my TV...then I'd break out my frisbee and do a couple bong hits as I sucked down a nice cold tall beer and stick a frozen pizza in the oven just before pressing the "play movie" button on my dvd player to watch "Hamburger Hill"...or?..."Platoon".....or?...."Apocolypse Now"....hell...maybe a triple header provided of course I didn't run out of beer, pizza or frisbee.hats
RC
ps...jus jok'in 'bout the frisbee thing...L8R, Bill.hr
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hate SP1ns but that's just me.  

I am glad there are Colt-Lovers out there and I was able to unload both of mine for silly prices.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
If funds allow, I would keep the SP1 original as is, and buy/build another AR15. That is ONLY if you are sure that it IS all original. If it has already been bastardized, mod away.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If funds allow, I would keep the SP1 original as is, and buy/build another AR15. That is ONLY if you are sure that it IS all original. If it has already been bastardized, mod away.

The only thing that isnt original is the birdcage. Other than that, its all original.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing that isnt original is the birdcage. Other than that, its all original.

Aww that messed it all up...you're gonna have to send it to me to be properly disposed of.  

But why no pics?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aww that messed it all up...you're gonna have to send it to me to be properly disposed of.  hy

I'll try to post some pics tonight. Will I have to get them hosted somewhere to post them?

RC
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aww that messed it all up...you're gonna have to send it to me to be properly disposed of.  

But why no pics?

RC

Yes, Photobucket is one of the best picture hosting sites IMO. If your pic is big, it automatically resizes it.
I'll try to post some pics tonight. Will I have to get them hosted somewhere to post them?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, here is a pic of my new toy - HERE

RC
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
OK, here is a pic of my new toy - HERE

RC

Looks like a fine weapon.  The mag sure could use some refinishing. I think it's called Permasilk?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a near-stock SP1 in my safe. You might be thinking the same thing.

You can always build up another one. Just save up the money and have another in the AR collection.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice...if you ever plan on getting rid of that lower or want to trade for a newer lower, contact me. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone other than changing the FH to a 3 prong.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Mr Cranium, if you sell that rifle God will kill a puppy

Even a halfwit like me can build a nice AR, so why not buy yourself a quality stripped lower receiver and then build a dream rifle to your exact specifications? Waste not, want not-by building your own you can make sure every single component is exactly what you want it to be
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#33]
In ten years you will be so frigin mad if you sell that rifle or screw with it.

i am now 10 years later and so frigging mad at me it isn't even funny.....

resisit the urge and never sell a gun you buy. Save up and buy another one.  You dont need it tomorrow - be patient and KEEP THEM ALL.  listen to somebody who screwed "pre ban" and waited 10 long years like a lost little doggy to get back in the game.........

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Sell it to me, I'll save God the trouble and kill a puppy myself. Don't worry- it'll be an ugly one..
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#35]
SP1s are getting very collectable,  and costly.  Leave it in origional condition.  An origional conditoin SP1 is a collectable.  An SP1 that's been modified is an old rifle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Mr Cranium, if you sell that rifle God will kill a puppy

Even a halfwit like me can build a nice AR, so why not buy yourself a quality stripped lower receiver and then build a dream rifle to your exact specifications? Waste not, want not-by building your own you can make sure every single component is exactly what you want it to be

And where did you work for a couple years inspecting parts?

dickhead (not an insult, of course), keep this one stock. Save up for another. You will feel better with yourself years down the road, and, if you build one, you'll learn more about the AR in general.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't want to call you names but I will second the notion:

If I came across a nice (mostly) original SP-1 I would clean her, shoot her and leave her in one piece.  There will be other rifles in the future and you can have an A2, A4 or whatever you want.  But that old girl is not nearly as common as all the A2 HBARs sitting in every gunshop.

Think about it.

Good shooting.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top