Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:42:29 AM EDT
Greetings,

My first post here.

I've been considering the purchase of a carbine for a long time. I've been shooting pistols for years now, but I think I will finally take the plunge and pick up an AR-15 of some sort. The question is...which kind :-D

I live in NJ, where the assault weapon ban was never rescinded so I cannot get a collapsing stock, a threaded barrel, etc. etc. I may apply for a permit to get one these eventually but for now I'm just looking for something to learn to shoot with.

I have read a lot of reviews, looked all over, and heard all manner of opinions...

At the moment I'm looking at the Rock River Arms Government Model with the NJ Illegal stuff stripped off and replaced with fixed stock and generic barrel.

Is this thing all hype or ??? Is there a better first carbine? I was also looking at some Bushmasters this weekend (don't know the models) at a local gun shop. I hear they are quite good as well.

Thanks in advance.

j
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Steer clear of OLYMPIC ARMS!  No one here ever complained about ponying up for a good AR out of the gate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased my first AR as well. Personally I wouldn't jump to the RRA Government Model right away. Start with something a little more simple.

But I have an RRA and I love it. It's a good rifle for less than a Bushmaster.

Just my opinions.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA is a good choice.  Personally, I wouldn’t pay more for a rifle just because it has “DEA” or “Government Model” stamped on the side.  The CAR A4 has a much better price tag.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#4]

j
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Rock River has a lifetime warranty which is always good (a safe generality in my opinion).  The upper to lower fit is tight which some ppl don't care for, but i haven't read any consistently troublesome problems with Rock River.  I think they're a good company.  Stay simple, at least to start with, add on later as you see fit.
Do some research ( use the search function on this site) and head to the EE.  You'll save some time and money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top