Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:01:49 PM EDT
What are those rectangle shaped boxes on top of the handguard rails of the M16 on the show Over There? Some sort of laser?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
AN-PEQ2 or 3 (something like that).  Its an IR laser /illuminator used to paint targets while using night vision or not.  Not too familiar with the details, but it's probably the device you're refering to.  I'm pretty sure real ones are not available to civilians or are hard to get and cost more than the rifle itself.  Again, I'm not TOO sure on all this.....but hope it helps.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
AN-PEQ2 or 3 (something like that).  Its an IR laser /illuminator used to paint targets while using night vision or not.  Not too familiar with the details, but it's probably the device you're refering to.  I'm pretty sure real ones are not available to civilians or are hard to get and cost more than the rifle itself.  Again, I'm not TOO sure on all this.....but hope it helps.  

Correct. You are probably seeing a PEQ2 or PEQ4's. Actually there are a few people running around with PEQ-2s. They can be had if you do enough searching and have the cash. It's not really worth the money seeing as how they emit an IR laser (can only be seen using NVGs or NVD). Most people who own them do so to "have the look".
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh god its the new Heat
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
hey that colonel guy off of band of brothers had a nice rifle. aimpoint, silencer, peq4 or wtf ever and a nice paintjob. granted he didnt touch off a round.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
he did not want to ruin the paint job
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#6]
So I take it the IR Lasers are illegal for civilian use.  What does the FDA have to do with this, isn't this the BATF's area?

Laser Devices inc FAQ
Q: Can I purchase an Infrared (835nm) aiming laser for my personal use?

A: NO! The sale of infrared aiming lasers is strictly regulated in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, Center for Devices and Radiological Health. Pursuant to FDA requirements, infrared aiming lasers are only available for export and for direct sale to law enforcement and military agencies under special exemptions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I take it the IR Lasers are illegal for civilian use.  What does the FDA have to do with this, isn't this the BATF's area?

Laser Devices inc FAQ

A: NO! The sale of infrared aiming lasers is strictly regulated in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, Center for Devices and Radiological Health. Pursuant to FDA requirements, infrared aiming lasers are only available for export and for direct sale to law enforcement and military agencies under special exemptions.

Are they eye-safe?
That may be where the FDA comes in.

It isn't visible light, and it may be powerful enough to cause eye damage.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
They can be found if you look hard enough. You will find more info in the lights and lasers section.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Laser Devices inc FAQ

Are they eye-safe?
That may be where the FDA comes in.

It isn't visible light, and it may be powerful enough to cause eye damage.

IR lasers are not sold to civilians because its an invisible beam that can blind people.

However you can get them used.  The companies are just not allowed to sell them directly to the public.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah you can get them used but BOCHIC when you get the price tag.   I've seen some go for $2500-3000.  I don't know about the restrictions on them with the FDA as far as eye-safe because any Class I-V laser is considered eye harming to some degree.  Just my 2 bits
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
does someone have good high-res pics of the PEQ-4?

I don't see how it would be hard to fabricate something that looks like the PEQ-4 using a CNC, billet steel/alum, or sheet metal. You could probably install a visible laser and have it actually functioning in that respect.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't see how it would be hard to fabricate something that looks like the PEQ-4 using a CNC, billet steel/alum, or sheet metal. You could probably install a visible laser and have it actually functioning in that respect.

I think some of the Airsoft companies have done this already.  A better option would be a visible laser from Laser Devices.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think some of the Airsoft companies have done this already.  A better option would be a visible laser from Laser Devices.

It would be alot easier to get an Airsoft clone and cobble in your own IR laser diode than building something from scratch.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top