Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:49:46 PM EDT
Are you supposed to keep the latch depressed when you let the handle come back or just let her fly home?

Just wondering if I need to be careful of the latch detent on the frame so that it doesn't get boogered up.

Thanks,

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Let her fly! It's not advised to "ride" the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Let her fly! It's not advised to "ride" the charging handle.

A big +1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There was some recent posting concerning the same topic (dupe!) and some were quite sensitive about the "damage" caused by the latch, especially those with the carbon bushys I bet.

I just pull the charge handle and depress the bottom of the bolt release, replace CH, and then hit the bolt release.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys (and sorry for the dupe thread - although I searched and found nothing).

I will just let her fly home like I do with any of my other autos.

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
That guy has a problem with his CH. The CH is meant to be let go and not rode home. There will be some wear but its no big deal. Do you ride the slides back on your handguns too?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just searching and I found this thread.  I have a Carbon-15, tonight was showing it to some friends.  One charged the handle which locked, then he depressed the button closing it and now it won't lock into place.  Sorry for being a newb, this is NIB Bushy C-15, unfired, why can't I lock it open now?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
you have to have a empty mag in it to lock, duh. if it doesnt lock into place with a empty mag in it, might have a bad spring in it. take the mag apart and stretch the spring out a little and assemble the mag back together. then charge it, it then should lock fine.

any questions IM me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Mag was in it, I'll try what you mentioned...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Just like when you rack the slide of an automatic pistol, you let the charging handle fly home! Some say the bullet does not seat "properly" if you "gently assist" the charging handle home.

With regard the issue of damaging your upper because of the notch on the CH, it is actually something that will not happen overnight (if it will ever happen at all). It would take several uses / abuses from you before the CH will ever ding your upper.

In some cases, damage was experienced on the uppers of some of the members who used the Badger tactical latches on their CH. The reason given was because these latches were made of steel as opposed to the uppers which are aluminum - and are therefore softer.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#11]
HIJACK!

Cyberseal, I would not worry too much about what happened to your rifle. My guess is that you may have a stiff (being new) buffer spring and you may not have pulled your CH with enough force to engage the bolt catch.

Try this, making sure the mag is empty, rest the butt of the rifle on the floor or a sturdy table then give the CH a good tug! If despite the fact that you did this still the bolt did not lock, then maybe it is indeed your mag spring that has a problem.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I know I'm pulling the charging handle back far enough.  Before this past weekend, it worked fine.  I didn't think I was hijacking this thread because the subject is so close to the topic, sorry if I did...

=(
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just pull the charge handle and depress the bottom of the bolt release, replace CH, and then hit the bolt release.  

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top