Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:21:27 AM EDT
I just bought a chrome-lined carrier and bolt and noticed it's kinda noisy/rough sounding when it's moved back and forth through the receiver.  I also noticed the entire carrier seems to be finely serrated, or notched, and that's what seems to be making the rough noise.  It ran fine my SP1 upper, but just wanted to know if it's normal to sound like that.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
just put some CLP on it and fire it.................. it will mate to the reciever after a few rounds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
also, dont masterbate your carrier too much, it might misfire
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The only part that rides on the upper is the the two small rails along the bottom the three areas on the top. That is the areas I check when I get a new one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the world of DPMS bolts/carriers. Don't mean to be snooty, but if you replaced a Colt bolt/carrier assy in that SP1 w/a DPMS piece, you've moved downhill from the top.

It'll work, and may well last as long as any other brand; but it will not ever be as smooth as what you had in it to begin.

I picked up a DPMS chrome carrier once in a trade, and it left my house as soon as I could make a deal to dump it. Too many tool marks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Welcome to the world of DPMS bolts/carriers. Don't mean to be snooty, but if you replaced a Colt bolt/carrier assy in that SP1 w/a DPMS piece, you've moved downhill from the top.

It'll work, and may well last as long as any other brand; but it will not ever be as smooth as what you had in it to begin.

I picked up a DPMS chrome carrier once in a trade, and it left my house as soon as I could make a deal to dump it. Too many tool marks.

it never had an original colt carrier/bolt.  So there was no move down.  I don't think I'd ever spend the large amount of money required to get an original colt carrier/bolt anyway.  Just wanted something durable that would last as long as I shot it.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
also, dont masterbate your carrier too much, it might misfire

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i would have went anything other than dpms

have a dpms bolt that is a spare and i hope i never have to use it.

but yeah either they will wear together or the chrome will wear off
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

thanks for telling me after I told you was gonna order one!

just kidding.

It worked fine for the few hundred I put through it.  I have kept my bushmaster bolt/carrier as a backup, so I'm not real worried.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just kidding.

It worked fine for the few hundred I put through it.  I have kept my bushmaster bolt/carrier as a backup, so I'm not real worried.

-mark

actually i think you told me after you ordered it.

it will work fine and for the price you couldnt have gotten any better.
there are guys here that have never had any problems with them and swear by it.

im just not one of them
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

im just not one of them

one day you'll be as cool as us, one day...............

also, after having one (chromed carrier/bolt) I realized how dirty these things get in one shooting.  The inside was completely black!  and carbon was all over the 2 holes in the side of the carrier (vent holes?).  Anyway, I realized where the term, "self-soiling" system comes from.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

im just not one of them

one day you'll be as cool as us, one day...............

also, after having one (chromed carrier/bolt) I realized how dirty these things get in one shooting.  The inside was completely black!  and carbon was all over the 2 holes in the side of the carrier (vent holes?).  Anyway, I realized where the term, "self-soiling" system comes from.

i refuse to be a follower

i'm  a castout

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just kidding.

-mark

actually i think you told me after you ordered it.

it will work fine and for the price you couldnt have gotten any better.
there are guys here that have never had any problems with them and swear by it.

im just not one of them

swear by it......at it.....same difference.

Mine is awfully rough on the outside. I wish I would have just waited and gotten a RRA carrier from RB Precision (they were out at the time and all they had was DPMS)

I won't buy another one, but I'm not going to be selling this one for $20 just for the sake of getting rid of it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I run a chromed DPMS bolt carrier in my High Power Service rifle....  most comments so far are correct...
They run on the "rails" inside the upper"
They will smooth out with use
Mine didn't have excessive tool marks....

One last thing.. when mixing and matching bolts and carriers or new bolts to current weapons, you should double check head space.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I run a chromed DPMS bolt carrier in my High Power Service rifle....  most comments so far are correct...

One last thing.. when mixing and matching bolts and carriers or new bolts to current weapons, you should double check head space.

which means you need a headspace gauge?

only seen them for C&R's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

which means you need a headspace gauge?

only seen them for C&R's.

yeah you need some gauges. there are usually some in the ee.

something i need to invest in
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top