Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:03:08 PM EDT

it's a lmt upper. I heaven't fired it yet, just a lot of dry firing.
Today I compared mine to a 3-Jears old DPMS, wich showed less wear.
how does this spot look on you rifles?
Do manufacturers use different types of aluminium (like 4150 or 4040 stell for the barrel)?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
what type of latch are you using?

mine are almost like that but after thousands upon thousands of rounds through them and plenty of cycling

i run only the pri big latch on mine though, when i tried the badger latch it would eat into the upper
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what type of latch are you using?

mine are almost like that but after thousands upon thousands of rounds through them and plenty of cycling

i run only the pri big latch on mine though, when i tried the badger latch it would eat into the upper

+1, you can fine sand down the latch if you want so that it doesn't "cut" as much.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I use PRI and the standard latch, normal wear,mostly the finish on the receiver.

TG
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Steel v. aluminum.  Steel is going to win every time.

Its normal, especially if you're not babying your CH, which you shouldnt be.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
mine is like that also.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If all you are doing is dry firing there's no need to let the charging handle  slam foward under its own power , pull it back far enough to set the trigger than let the recoil spring do it's work under your control. Think about it how many times do you use the charging handle while shooting ?       you could fire a 1000 rounds and only use it once. Dry firing 500 times is alot if you are letting it fly foward under its own power. I fired a lot of 22 l.r. through a conversion kit and noticed accelerated ware on the latch area of the upper. Only had 10 shot mags and the bolt doesn't lock back, alot of charging handle work in 500 rds. of .22.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I fired a lot of 22 l.r. through a conversion kit and noticed accelerated ware on the latch area of the upper. Only had 10 shot mags and the bolt doesn't lock back, alot of charging handle work in 500 rds. of .22.

Ah yes. Yet another good reason to try to find one of the Air force surp conversion kits.  They DO lock the bolt back at the end of the mag load.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Same problem on mine using a Badger Tac latch. Mine isn't quite that bad...yet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Same problem on mine using a Badger Tac latch. Mine isn't quite that bad...yet.

If mine had gotten any worse I would have had to scrap the upper. Fortunately I caught it just in time.

The damage was done with a 1st gen Badger latch. Consequently I run nothing but PRIs now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Bushy upper receiver showing LOTS of wear, but the culprit was a deformed CH.  It was "supposedly" mil-spec, but it was NOT.  

Charging Handles are made of aluminum, not steel, right?  Is the Badger Tac Latch made of steel?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
interesting topic... i have a badger latch that doesent show wear on the reciever i think it's steel...

DID have a friend who had his stock CHARGING LATCH wear out on his AR....

THAT WAS THE WEIRDEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN.... SO SOME OF THEM MUST BE ALLUMINUM ..
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got a Bushy upper receiver showing LOTS of wear, but the culprit was a deformed CH.  It was "supposedly" mil-spec, but it was NOT.  

Charging Handles are made of aluminum, not steel, right?  Is the Badger Tac Latch made of steel?  

The charging handle isnt causing the wear, the latch itself is.

And yes, both PRI and Badger latches are steel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
When I'm doing a lot of dry firing (to work in a new trigger for example) I use a nylon zip tie on the latch to keep it open and keep it from scraping the notch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I'm doing a lot of dry firing (to work in a new trigger for example) I use a nylon zip tie on the latch to keep it open and keep it from scraping the notch.

Rubber band works too.

Eggsellent idea Sir!

I'll keep that in mind the next time I lose my damned peanut butter jar full of zip ties. Between my wife and daughter using them for arts and crafts God only knows where they can end up sometimes
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top