Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 10:49:33 AM EDT
I'm looking for an M4 type upper and need to have rails on it for all the toys of course!

Are getting the aftermarket/snap on type handguards a mistake? Are they less secure than getting some gunsmithed on? Like every one else, i'm trying to cut some costs, so would getting the snap on type be a bad move?

Thanks in advance for any replies fellas!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Most of the two-piece replacement type railed HG are solid and easily installed without the need for a gunsmith...that is unless you want to FF...then the services of a gunsmith might be needed.

Look around.  You'll find plenty of threads about the different handguards available.  Surefire seems to be the hot ones right now.  You might want to check YHM out as well.  You don't hear much about them here but I have some from Armalite and they are very well made.  

Good LUck
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have KAC "snap on" rails and have no complaints, they are very secure.  They can be a pain in the ass to get on/off, I suspect that it has something to do with the fact the barrel is an HBAR instead an M4 profile, but I'm not sure.  I'd say that you could probably safely skip out on a FF unless it's something you have your heart set on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the "free floating handguards" makes them "free floating".  Also, what about that might require the services of a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about the "free floating handguards" makes them "free floating".  Also, what about that might require the services of a gunsmith?

Free floating means that they do not touch the barrel. The barrel floats from the receiver out. (more accurate)

Your barrel needs to be removed to install most free float rail systems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Snap on type handguards are fine as long as it's tight and not loose. They're great for mounting vertical grips and tactical lights.

There are two piece free floating type handguards that could be installed by the user, check out Troy and Samson brands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
on the c-more I have I replaced the barrel nut with one that came with the rail and screwed the rail onto it.20 minute job
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
i would go with either

troy/samson
knights rasII
arms sir
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
YHM are decent and stable  handguard with rails,but your carbine will become heavy with all those toys.
I went that direction after joining ar15.com,but have got rid of all that crap and went for KISS.

Got pixs and a t-shirt,been there and done  that,now I have  fighting rifles.

Currently using Colt M4 dual  heatsheild handguard.

TG
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
YHM are decent and stable  handguard with rails,but your carbine will become heavy with all those toys.
I went that direction after joining ar15.com,but have got rid of all that crap and went for KISS.

Got pixs and a t-shirt,been there and done  that,now I have  fighting rifles.

Currently using Colt M4 dual  heatsheild handguard.

TG

I'm looking to just mount a vert grip and tac light. no lasers or optics.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the YHMs.  I have a set and they fit snugly.  Install was a breeze.  Lots of other good recommendations here too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my MI handguards.  Snap-on, very tight.

Unless you want forward mounted optics, I think two-piece snap-ons are a no-brainer.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i'll go with the snap-ons.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top