BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:01:47 AM EDT
Which would you say is better?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The finish is better on the new ones. I have had other problems with both old and new.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
All of the new ones are forged and some of the old ones are cast,also the finish is better on the new ones.The Maxhard finish is extremely tough,the only problem I've had with the new recievers is the lack of the front pushpin  spring oil hole and the mag well is a little tight with some USGI mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I found a preban Oly dirt cheap and it is out of spec in terrible ways.  Uppers wont even attach to it.  I'm going to mill out a few milimeters of the lower to get uppers on.  Function is still unknown.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I found a preban Oly dirt cheap and it is out of spec in terrible ways.  Uppers wont even attach to it.  I'm going to mill out a few milimeters of the lower to get uppers on.  Function is still unknown.

- BG

Or you could always use the life time warranty and have them correct it.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Which would you say is better?

New ones by far.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

I'm sure they will hit me up for the $150 remanufacturing charge.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an Oympic SGW lower from 91' which is forged. I also had to mil some out to get my upper on. Lower looks great and I have had no problems function wise, 500 rounds through it already.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm sure they will hit me up for the $150 remanufacturing charge.

- BG

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then you would not get hit with the charge as it is the receiver that is defective, and that is covered under a lifetime warranty.  

You've got to remember that this is one of the things that OA touts as being a strong benefit in their favor.  If another AWB goes into effect, OA receivers will be good forever, or at least that is the theory.  Go over to the OA2.org forums and post your problems and questions over there.  While it is not the official OA board, the employees are on there all the time and makes sure that people are taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an Oly that I have not had problems with, but it was my understanding that the warranty is only valid for the original owner.
I suppose it would not hurt to ask them to honor the warranty regardless.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#11]
No, they will fix it without any problem if they find it to be defective.  It isn't like the receiver is a wear and tear item, so if its that far out of spec, they will replace/ rebuild it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I had them remake a preban (back when it mattered.. in Nebraska anyway) They did charge me 150.00 simply because it was worn and tired.. I got it from a SWAT operator in Kansas.. They used it for qualifying etc.. A sheriffs dept. had it before that.. It was not shot out but Itd seen its fair share.. Anyways, came back damn near perfect.. It has been one of my best ARs..

Oly will treat you right.. They are good people..
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Did they rebuild the receiver, or just gut it and refinish it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Just bought a 1989 OA lower last week.  Put an upper on it, and it wouldn't close down.  Sent it over to a buddy of mine and he says not only is the front pin hole drilled too low, but the receiver is about 1/8" too long.

I'll be calling OA on Monday.  :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top