Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:35:07 AM EDT
need help guys went to camp perry a couple weeks ago to watch and now i'd like to shoot service rifle . what's the best ar-15 configuration and where can i go to shoot i live in north central indiana.
thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the Compass Lake Engineering service rifle with the Krieger barrel and for me it's the cat's meow.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Peruse this thread:

What Kind of Build for CMP Matches?

I don't think I need to retype all of what I typed there, but please read it, as there is plenty of good advice from me and others.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]
a moderate amount
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a RRA CMP and it will win any tournament you are capable of winning.  If you live anywhere close to Wabash, Indiana they have NMC tournaments during the summer months.  I can send you a link to their web site if you like.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
a moderate amount

Moderate is a pretty subjective term. Moderate $1000? Moderate $2000? The RRA is the best value in the CMP rifle market. It runs about $950 and is awesome. Bushy makes a good DCM rifle but it is about $1100, has a crappy trigger and isn't as good as the RRA. Compass Lake rifles are awesome but will run you near $2000. Also White Oak Armament makes a nice CMP rifle. Personally my money would probably go with RRA. I used to have the Bushy and it was VERY accurate but it's not worth $200 more than the RRA. Actually I will most likely build a CMP rifle for my next AR. Most likely will end up being a Mega lower with RRA NM LPK and an A2 upper using a 1/8" kreiger bbl.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#7]
i guess modrate would be around a grand .
props i live in warsaw so wabash is a stones throw if you could send that link i'd appericiate it.

for the most part i'm not really looking for a manufactures gun, i love to build ar's so i'd like to build the rifle. i'have been looking at the rra stuff

thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
RRA will probably be cheaper than building a CMP rifle yourself actually. You can easily dump $700-800 building a CMP upper alone. By the time you buy the bbl, proper sights, free float tube, weights, etc. you can dump a pretty good chunk of change. Then figure at least $300-400 for a lower with a good trigger setup and you have exceeded the price of the very capable RRA and you don't even have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
probably i'll buy the complete upper if go the built route
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I paid about $1K for the Compass Lake upper http://www.compasslake.com/ with the Krieger barrel. I bought a Bushy lower for about $300 and paid about $160 for the Jewell Trigger. So adding all of that up I have about $1460 in a really nice rifle. BTW, I went to a local gun show at the time and nobody would deal on an Armalite CMP/DCM rifle, they wanted list. The CLE I have was only about $100 or so more than Armalite's list, that was an easy decision.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
RRA will probably be cheaper than building a CMP rifle yourself actually. You can easily dump $700-800 building a CMP upper alone. By the time you buy the bbl, proper sights, free float tube, weights, etc. you can dump a pretty good chunk of change. Then figure at least $300-400 for a lower with a good trigger setup and you have exceeded the price of the very capable RRA and you don't even have a lifetime warranty.

+1  Get a Rock River NM rifle to begin with.  Remove trigger and send to White Oak Precision for their tune up.  Reinstall trigger and shoot until barrel is toast (probably 4000 t0 4500 rounds).  Then rebuild upper with the best components money can buy by sending it to First Strike Products, White Oak Precision, or Compass Lake Engineering.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Here ya go shermy!  http://www.geocities.com/wabashwildlife/  
I just looked and don't see any NM events listed but you might e-mail them and see whats going on.  Weekdays, some evenings, and most Saturdays nothing is scheduled so you can just go over and practice running the course.  Some of the Wabash guys shoot Cowboy at the Warsaw range so you might see if you can get some info from the.  I'd be glad to meet you there some Saturday and we can do some shooting.  When you join you get a key so you can go anytime.  You are more than welcome to shoot my RRA CMP, I have two lowers, one with a Jewell trigger and one with a two stage RRA, you can see which you like best.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Peruse this thread:

What Kind of Build for CMP Matches?

I don't think I need to retype all of what I typed there, but please read it, as there is plenty of good advice from me and others.

That's my thread, and I ended up getting a RRA NM upper and lower from ADCO. Buying it in halves saved me a hundred bucks. Costed me $904 shipped. Buying a a RRA NM upper is A LOT cheaper than piecing one together. I plan on sending my lower to White Oak Precision for a trigger job when the highpower season is over.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
WOA Service rifle Upper plus one of their tuned RRA triggers in any lower of your choice.  

Thats what I would recommend, and it will run with the best of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#15]
well you guy convinced me i think i'm going to go with the rra
props thanks for the website i'll be down next year
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there an affiliated club in your area you can join?  If so, often they have deals with the mfg's and you can buy whatever brand the the club is setup with (BM, RRA) and save a bundle.  Like  hundreds of dollars bundle.  More than enough to offset your cost for joining the club, plus you get to use their facilities, get instruction from seasoned shooters, etc.

If that's not an option, if you have a spare lower sitting around, I'd go with a WOA upper and get yourself a Holliger-tuned RRA trigger and slap that in there.  Some guys like to get the pinned rear sight mod as well, it may not be a necessity but it would offer some peace of mind while you're learning.  You can get all this for around $800-900 or so and you'll be set.  

I wouldn't spring for a high end barrel just yet.  Get into the sport, learn to shoot, and then when your original barrel craps out, spring for a Krieger or whatever, or get a 2nd upper with a Krieger and use the original upper for practice, reduced course evnts, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I ordered the RRA NMA2 from Eaglefirearms.net.  It should be here Monday.  Can't wait to get it and try it out.  From everything I've read, its the best value for the money so I had to give it a chance.  Call eagle and talk with Chris or email them.  He was very good about explaining and was a pleasure to do business with.  I ended up ordering two extra lowers while on the phone.  Price of my RRA was $959 and then paid $85 and $105 for a stag and RRA lower.  Good luck on the search.  GS
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's my thread, and I ended up getting a RRA NM upper and lower from ADCO. Buying it in halves saved me a hundred bucks. Costed me $904 shipped. Buying a a RRA NM upper is A LOT cheaper than piecing one together. I plan on sending my lower to White Oak Precision for a trigger job when the highpower season is over.

Congratulations, topgunpilot20!!!

Of course, you still need a sling, a glove, and a jacket!

Good luck with Highpower!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congratulations, topgunpilot20!!!

Of course, you still need a sling, a glove, and a jacket!

Good luck with Highpower!

Thanks. I've shot two matches, the first with only a GI sling and the second i used a repelling glove I had. For my next match, I'm going to try my thick, leather bomber jacket that I wear during the winter. Maybe I'll be able to afford some real gear for the next season.

Shermy, I think you'll be very happy with your decision. Mine is a very sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
sherm....
I was just at Jim Owen's HP School a month or so ago... there were a couple of guys there from your area.... you should go to a match or two and meet "real live" people to get some opinions as well.

You can take your time with this, as HP "season" is winding down.

Go to http://www.isrpa.org/ to get match schedules and range locations

Good luck.... now you're HOOKED, lol

p.s. - the guys that shoot locally can often be a good source for used versions of all the other "stuff" you'll want (need???) to get.  ie - glove, coat, spotting scope, stool, etc. etc.   They end up wanting to "upgrade" as they get better, and many of those things would serve you just as well "used"....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#21]
200-10x
thanks for that web site
i've been eating any and all inforamtion i can find. next week i'm planning on going out to the gun club and practice with my regular ar.

couple more questions 1 how do score the shoot and can anyone suggest an inexspensive spotting scope?

also are there any good schools ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top