Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:32:40 PM EDT
I was at Camp Perry recently and had to take SAFS ( rifle ). I noticed that the old, rattletrap FNMI M-16A2 I was using had NO buffer spring rattle when I released the bolt. The carrier slid forward and clicked/clacked/locked right into place.

Now with an Eagle Arms M15A2 I saw over there in the hands of a High Master, I heard none, just a solid action....

But with my Colt 20" 6601-type, I have an insane amount of it when I close the bolt...

Is it because one has an M-16 carrier and the other doesn't? Maybe the buffer springs in the FNMI and Eagle Arms rifle are longer/stronger?

How can this be? What causes it to rattle so much/little?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Spring noise...hmm.  I noticed several of my guns have it more severely than others.  Last weekend I was shooting my 16" HB and noticed the spring was real loud.  If I lifted my head off the stock, I couldn't hear it at all....go figure.  Use the search feature and you will see lots of info about this.  I like the sound, and it let's you know everything is working ok.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm... did a search, ended up with results for the Wolff extra power buffer sping ( more thrust per squeeze? ).

BTT.

Do we have any more users of this buffer spring? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be more worried about a weapon that DIDN'T make a sproing, fr00t l00ps!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't say the same applies to me, it only bothers me when I'm single loading cartridges for slow-fire stages. When I fire in the rapids, I find too much of the noise annoying, and kind of distracting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was at Camp Perry recently and had to take SAFS ( rifle ). I noticed that the old, rattletrap FNMI M-16A2 I was using had NO buffer spring rattle when I released the bolt. The carrier slid forward and clicked/clacked/locked right into place.

Now with an Eagle Arms M15A2 I saw over there in the hands of a High Master, I heard none, just a solid action....

But with my Colt 20" 6601-type, I have an insane amount of it when I close the bolt...

Is it because one has an M-16 carrier and the other doesn't? Maybe the buffer springs in the FNMI and Eagle Arms rifle are longer/stronger?

I saw a gunsmith put moly grease on the spring , poof no more noise
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Gray, and Obi-Wan.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a gunsmith put moly grease on the spring , poof no more noise

Yessir. I just dab a little wheel bearing grease on the buffer & spring and like you said, POOF! No noise. I do that with all my AR15's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My buffer doesn't "sproing" as much as my buddy's SP1, but it does occassionaly have a
delayed resonance...more of a quick "hum" for about 1 sec.  But this is more pronounced
when the earmuffs are contacting the stock/tube.

my .02
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top