Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:12 AM EDT
I was wondering how hot you can let the barrel get on an AR-15 type rifle/carbine before serious damage takes place.  I know with hunting rifles, you should be able to put your hand on the barrel for 10sec.  But with an AR type I would expect they go through a lot more abuse, and should be able to handle it.  I am just curious.  I guess another question would be, how many rounds would a typical barrel last?

I know some people hunt with ARs (I plan on hunting with my first one when I get it) so I apologize for any generalities I might have made.  I tried to do a search, but it kept getting zero results then I had to wait a minute before searching again, so I thought I would just post this question.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Red hot. Try bump firing 4~5 mags.
The gas tube will fail before you get close to any barrel damage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
how long will the barrel last though  surely it would start to deteriorate, wouldn't it??
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If you take good care of it, the barrel will last past your grandchildren's life-time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The more you bumpfire and heat up your barrel, the quicker you will burn it out.  It isn't a concern for most people, but there are plenty of us here who have gone through several barrels.  There is no way in the world that my children or grandchildren will be using my primary AR15 barrels.  They might be using the 2nd, 3rd or 4th barrel on them....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top