Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT
I recently acquired a LEO M15A4, but I am having reliability issues with it.  This forum has been a huge help with diagnostic information, so I won't get into the issues.  However, I received some interesting information on this rifle- Armalite's records show it to be a stripped receiver, which leads me to believe its been built up with questionable parts.  It has an aluminum telescopic stock and no M4 ramps (the Armalite rep told me that the lack of M4 ramps were a possible cause of the malfunctions).  Additionally, the front sight (a Picatinny gas block/ removable front sight) had to be raised unusually high.  I'm using a GG&G BUIS rear sight and it is moved to the right an awful lot.  This rear sight is the only thing I've added to the rifle.

So, I'm wondering if any of you know if:  Armalite uses aluminum stocks, is the upper supposed to come with M4 ramps (LEO or not) and is it normal for my sights to be that far off from mechanical zero.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Rusty,

There are no "Eagle Arms" markings on the lower.  There is, however, a fuzzy mark (looks like a white paint stamp) at the front of the magazine well that looks like a square with the upper right corner missing and some type of mark inside the square.

If by "extended ramps" you mean M4 ramps, this upper does not have them.  Other than the extended handguards and the gas block, how do I know if this is an Armalite upper?  Any markings you know of?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
A flattop armalite upper has a circle with crosshairs and "AR" on the right side above the forward assist.

My carbine upper has forged (not dremmeled or machined) M4-type ramps to mate up with the M4-type ramps in the barrel extension.  Don't worry if you don't have these.  Not a big deal.  Reliability could come from the type of ammo.  Soft points or open lead tips have been known to hang up while feeding.  

I have the pic gas block, also.  The front sight post base is flush with the removeable FSB.  It's not sitting high.  The height of the BUIS could be the source of your height problems. You can buy extra high front sight posts.

You can adjust the "adjustable gas block" by loosening the set screws and twisting one way or the other.  Read the directions on the Armalite website first.  You can square up the rear sight so it isn't cranked to one side.  If you like tedious projects, this one is for you.  

The white fuzzy marking on the front of the mag well is some sort of inspection proof stamp (read manufacturing tradition) only done to Armalites, not to Eagle Arms stuff.  Eagle Arms is good stuff.  It's not Vulcan or Hesse or some shit like that.

The collapsable stock does have an aluminum tube with a plastic stock.  I'm not sure if other mfrs. use steel or something else.  My guess is that aluminum is pretty common.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A side note to this:

I contacted Armalite and they stated that ALL of their rifles come with extended ramps A2, A4, AR-10, etc.  They didn't give me an effective date but I got the feeling that there was a drop dead date for the start of this, so weapon age may come into play here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replys.  It looks like I have an Armalite upper and I got onto their website and found the sight alignment info.  I'm not sure if the extended ramps are going to solve the problems- I'm having trouble pulling the trigger for a new upper.  I'll keep plugging along until the issues are solved, but what a finicky rifle.  Again, thanks for the replys.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I've tried various mags, but primarily 20rd Colt LEO and 20 rd Armalite LEO (the curved ones).  The malfunctions have occurred in all the mags I've tried.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top