Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any items out there short of a silencer/can that you don't need any special permits for that being the sound level down a little , it would be fore a Bushmaster 20" HBAR.  I don't mind the gun's sound, but my friends are complaining, their used to 22's for plinking i guess...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any items out there short of a silencer/can that you don't need any special permits for that being the sound level down a little , it would be fore a Bushmaster 20" HBAR.  I don't mind the gun's sound, but my friends are complaining, their used to 22's for plinking i guess...

Screw 'em - tell them to grow a pair and get a real rifle while they are at it...  Or buy them a set of plugs to put in their ears under their muffs...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them to wear hearing protection. I bet they don't because "its only a .22". But it is still causing them hearing damage.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a  Bushmaster muzzle brake installed you might think about having it removed and replaced by a standard A2 type flash suppressor. Or go with no muzzle device at all. Short of that, no, there is nothing you can do.

I correct my self. Install a .22 conversion kit and shoot .22 like your wussy friends do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I always heard if you put a potato on the end of the barrel it was much like a silencer when fired. Never tried it, sounds kind of silly. I spose if you stuck the tater on yer barrel and rammed a cleaning rod through it before firing you would prevent rifle blow up, but wouldn't you basically just be adding length to the barrel? Would the added tater length also increase accuracy? Perhaps there is a certain property to spud material that makes it sound absorbing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if this works, but there is a discussion about a Krink style muzzle brake that supposedly directs the sound and concussion away from the shooter so there is less felt noise and concussion.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=240358
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always heard if you put a potato on the end of the barrel it was much like a silencer when fired. Never tried it, sounds kind of silly. I spose if you stuck the tater on yer barrel and rammed a cleaning rod through it before firing you would prevent rifle blow up, but wouldn't you basically just be adding length to the barrel? Would the added tater length also increase accuracy? Perhaps there is a certain property to spud material that makes it sound absorbing.

i don't think that would work unless you're trying to make mashed potatoes... but i'd like a video of you trying.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you guys are plinking somewhere other than a shooting range.
Get 6-12 hay bales.
Stack them so that there is an aperture going through the center of the stack that is large enough for you to clearly see you targets through.
I'd make the stack at least two bales deep.
Keep your muzzle in the aperture when firing.
Your friends will hear a greatly reduced report unless they are down range or directly behind you.
You can do the same thing with a 55 gallon drum and some insulation.
I plan on setting up a 1-200 yard range on my farm with the drum type baffle.
I just have a lot of sumac, multiflora rose, autumn olive and walnuts to clear first
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
The Levang and Krink style brakes vent the gas forward instead of to the side.  The result is that the noise is directed forward.  Most people perceive this as being much quieter.  There is no attenuation of the sound, it is simply directed forward, where no one should be anyways.

If you have a side venting brake, simply taking it off will probably achieve comporable results.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If it works its a suppressor and requires a form 1 to be placed on the end of your barrel and you must also engrave the potato.  You must also pay the $200 tax stamp for the potato No I am not kidding.  Someone has registered a shoelace for making an AK fire full auto.  It has a metal tag hanging off it for engraving.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
OK,
I don't have a muzzle break, so would the krink style break still help?
As far as the potato goes, i have heard the same thing from people i know, people i know well i should say. They haven't done it in a while tho. I was told that you need to clean the gun real well after use because theres acid in the potato that will eat finishes...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was wondering if there are any items out there short of a silencer/can that you don't need any special permits for that being the sound level down a little.

Nope. If it reduces the dB level even slightly, the BATF considers it a sound suppressor and it is subject to NFA. The XM177 moderator is a good example--it's far from quiet, but regulated just the same.

And as for the potato "thing", the BATF will bust your balls if they catch you doing this, as it is an unregistered silencer. The same goes for plastic soda bottles, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#14]
so by buying the Krink break you would need special licenses for it, or does it not reduce the sound at all, just redirect it? And would it work with 20" rifle as opposed to a shorty?
Thanks for the legal info, good things to know...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
so by buying the Krink break you would need special licenses for it, or does it not reduce the sound at all, just redirect it? And would it work with 20" rifle as opposed to a shorty?
Thanks for the legal info, good things to know...

No.  You don't need to need a "special license".  It is not an NFA regulated item because it does not lower the decibel levels, just redirects the sound away from the shooter.  

I don't know whether it will work on a 20" rifle, but try emailing the manufacturer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top