Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:12:43 PM EDT
Went to the range today and had some mysterious problems. I loaded my 30 round clip with 20 rounds, as I inserted the clip the receiver failed to take it, when I finely played with it for a wile I got the clip to lock into place, but soon after rounds refused to chamber, what’s going wrong? This gun has less then 100 rounds through her
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't blame your weapon for a bad magazine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
its a brand new Bushmaster mag, from the fac shipped with the gun
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:.......... clip,............clip,........... clip..............

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
ok then if its the clip then whats up with the rounds not chambering?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
clip................

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry, it’s a bad habit, I’ve called magazines clips for ever.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sorry, it’s a bad habit, I’ve called magazines clips for ever.

Ohhhh........your having magazine feeding problems!

Next time you load the magazine try slapping it in the palm of your hand to seat all the rounds against the rear of the magazine.  I’ve had new mags that when loaded with 30 rounds were tight to seat and lock into the mag well, they needed an extra slap to seat into place.

Just razzin' ya about the "clip" thing!!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I hit the bottom real hard and it still did not lock into place, and when it did most of the time rounds did not chamber, I pulled back the action and it failed to grab and load a round? why is this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Either you have done nothing to clean and lube the weapon, or you have a bad magazine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Mag could be wonky? Try downloading to 29/28rds and see if you can still lock it in place or strip a round off.

Check your follower, spring, mag catch, all the usual places.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
the mag and gun is brand new 60 rounds total through gun, Break Free CLP used after every use, could something simple be causing this? When I went to the range I loaded a 30 round mag with 20 rounds, is it possible the bullet was on the wrong side of the mag, and the bolt wasn’t catching it? And if so why wasn’t the mag locking into place? a simple error? I'm a rookie when it comes to the AR so I need lots of help
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I had two mags I order from Bushmaster that were out of spec (Blued).  These were crap. Some BM mags are ok, some are not. Sent them back for a refund and bought 2 new USGI mags which worked fine.

Stick with USGI mags and you will be fine.

tips

1. When you load the mag, look for the cartridge shape molded into the follower - this tells you which way the cartridges need to be inserted into the mag.

2. Load your cartridges, then rap the back and top end of the mag sharply against the bench or your boot heel, this seats the cartridges to the back of the mag where they need to be to feed smoothly.

3. lock the bolt to rear, insert the magazine until you hear and feel the mag catch lock into place, you can give it a light slap on the base of the mag if you want. the cartridges should be pointed towards the front of the rifle.

4. Hit the bolt release, let the bolt slam forward, this will strip a cartridge from the mag, and chamber it, locking the bolt into battery. DO NOT ride the bolt forward with the charging handle.

5. Give your forward assist 2 firm taps with the heel of your right hand.

6. Ensure the weapon is on "fire", and engage your targets.

7. Savor the light recoil, the heady aroma of XM193 going off (you did buy XM193, didn't you ), the delightful "sproing" noise of your buffer at work, and the sublime joy of sending copper and lead downrange at several thousand feet per second.

IF you follow this procedure every time, you will be good. If it still doesn't work, there is something wrong with either the magazine or the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the mag and gun is brand new 60 rounds total through gun, Break Free CLP used after every use, could something simple be causing this? When I went to the range I loaded a 30 round mag with 20 rounds, is it possible the bullet was on the wrong side of the mag, and the bolt wasn’t catching it? And if so why wasn’t the mag locking into place? a simple error? I'm a rookie when it comes to the AR so I need lots of help

Stickman has given you the answer-the chances are very good that your Bushmaster mag is junk. Bushy mags either work great or they completely suck-there isn't much of a gray area.

You should either borrow (or better yet buy) a USGI mag and see if the problem vanishes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll try one last time, then I'm done.

Go buy a few new magazines that are USGI, or borrow some from someone in your area.  The magazine is the usual problem, and failing to lock into place doesn't inspire any confidence in the mag.  I understand that the magazine is new, do it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
New items (mags included) have been known to malfunction also. Not trying to bust your ball bag but these guys have a lot of knowledge here. Take their advice and buy a couple of USGI mags from someone on this board. You need more than one mag anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
. When you load the mag, look for the cartridge shape molded into the follower - this tells you which way the cartridges need to be inserted into the mag.

2. Load your cartridges, then rap the back and top end of the mag sharply against the bench or your boot heel, this seats the cartridges to the back of the mag where they need to be to feed smoothly.

3. lock the bolt to rear, insert the magazine until you hear and feel the mag catch lock into place, you can give it a light slap on the base of the mag if you want. the cartridges should be pointed towards the front of the rifle.

4. Hit the bolt release, let the bolt slam forward, thsi will strip a round off the mag, and chamber the cartridge, locking the bolt into battery. DO NOT ride the bolt forward with the charging handle.

6. Ensure the wepon is on "fire", and engage your targets.

I’ve violated at least three things on this list, should go better at the range next time if I follow these rules, thanks, about them USGI mags, got a link?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
. When you load the mag, look for the cartridge shape molded into the follower - this tells you which way the cartridges need to be inserted into the mag.

4. Hit the bolt release, let the bolt slam forward, thsi will strip a round off the mag, and chamber the cartridge, locking the bolt into battery. DO NOT ride the bolt forward with the charging handle.

6. Ensure the wepon is on "fire", and engage your targets.

I’ve violated at least three things on this list, should go better at the range next time if I follow these rules, thanks, about them USGI mags, got a link?

This guy is gold and will sell you brand new USGI mags for about $15 (NHMTG)

www.eaglefirearms.net/ar15_magazines.htm

He will sell you the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The second item down on THIS PAGE "Teflon Finish AR Magazines".

They are considered by many to be some of the best mags available

BravoCompany is an excellent dealer with kickass service, competitive prices, and very fast shipping.

ETA: Ha! DR beat me
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BravoCompany is an excellent dealer with kickass service, competitive prices, and very fast shipping.

Paul at www.Bravocompanyusa.com is gold too!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#20]
All new Bushies come with D&H teflons however a bad mag turns up every now and then from every manufacturer. Buy a new mag or even better a few and try them. If your problem goes away which it probably will it was the mag. If that is the case Bushy will replace it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul at www.Bravocompanyusa.com is gold too!

Indeed he is And although I've only made a couple of purchases form Eagle (so far), their service was impeccable as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Could your problem be that you are using Airsoft mags???
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Could your problem be that you are using Airsoft mags???

Couldn't be........he's using clips, not mags.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Tweak,

While sitting here with a cup of coffee, I begin to suspect that in a quest to keep his weapon clean, unbeaten, and leading a sheltered life, that our friend is riding the charging handle.

Sounds to me like another case of a faulty trigger actuating nut.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top