Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
I'm new to AR's, so I hope this doesn’t sound like a stupid question.  It seems like most tactical carbine AR's have a combination of a red dot type scope, with front & rear "open" sights.  Here is my question…..how can you use a red dot with the steel sights in place?  Doesn't the front sight get in the way??  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]

You learn to ignore or look past the front site.  Yes, you have a much "cleaner" site picture if you don't have an A2 FSB sticking up.  If that is an issue you can always get a flip-up front.

Once you get use to using the red dot and focus on the target like you are suppose to, you probably won't notice the FSB very much.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
my primary carbine had a fixed FSB for years. You get used to it....it never bothered me or slowed me down.

I recently got an upper with a PRI flip-front on it. You do get a much nicer view through the optic but the tradeoff is the time it takes to deploy the front sight if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I've also seen some rifles that have a red dot in front....and then a regular scope right behind it.    Why would you do that?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You shoot red dots with both eyes open.  THis allows the front sight and red dot sight housing to ghost out and become see through.  You could weld a steel plate on your FSB to block all your view and you still would not have a problem using the red dot.  The red dot infront is to give BAC capability to a non BAC capable magnafied optic.  Its a gheto rigged solution.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top