Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 9:20:44 PM EDT
Hi all,

I just got off the phone with my son who is deployed to Afghanistan.  I asked him what he needs.  Gave me the following list.:

He needs a gangster grip for his M4.  What would be a good brand and where can I get one?

His goggles, shooting glasses, plus some clothing,  were "removed" from his duffle bag somewhere along the way.  What would be a good quality pair of goggles to get for him?  I am going to get him some Oakley tinted shooting glasses.

What model Eotech would be standard for use over there.  He had to give his original rifle to another company and the rifle he got issued only has a red dot on it.   If I can get one I may send that over too.  

I was also surprised to learn that they only had 15 bottles of CLP for the 80 men in his group so I am going to get a ton of that and send it over too.  

Thanks for any suggestions.  I am trying to pull this together in a couple of days so quick responses are really appreciated.  .  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"ganster grip"? never heard of that before. try getting him a "hogue grip" or "tango down battle grip"

as for the eotech............model #552 it is night vision ready.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
By gangsteer grip I think he means a vertical grip. Try Knights Armament Company, they are standard issue and they usually run about 25 bucks on the EE. Or go for the Tango Down vertical grip, supposed to be very solid.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If he already has a red dot (assuming M68 CCO/Aimpoint) then maybe a compact scope like a ACOG.  Find out what type of rifle so you can get the proper mount.  This way he'll have more options.

CD
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine who is a green beret showed me a vertical foregrip that he referred to as a "Gangster Grip". To me it looked just like the tango down VFG.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"ganster grip"? never heard of that before. try getting him a "hogue grip" or "tango down battle grip"

#552 EOTECH would work great.  and you are definitly on the right track for a LOT more bottles of CLP,  as for shooting glasses,  www.wileyx.com,   the xl-1s or the sg-1s are GREAT~   they are absolutley rugged and reliable,  they work as all around glasses also,  dont go with oakleys,  wileyx's are made for ppl in combat~

hope this helps!

EDIT-  

here is the link to the wiley x's www.wileyx.com/hvpSeries.php
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Alot of guys in my unit lovingly called them "gangster grips", we just used the Knights foregrip because it was issued. The more worldy guy's should be able to tell you whats the best brand, I would recommend getting one thats black (unless you know they are using tan or something).

Cant help with goggles, I wear glasses so I just used my issued ones. Guess it just depends on what his unit alows as part of the uniform. Some units like the oakleys, some the wileyx (mine liked the oakley stuff).

I liked Eotech's 512 rev. f or 552 rev. f  because it was easy to get AA batteries over there. I was also big fan of the issued ACOG for afghanistan, but its about budget and preference.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
as for shooting glasses,  www.wileyx.com,   the xl-1s or the sg-1s are GREAT~   they are absolutley rugged and reliable,  they work as all around glasses also,  dont go with oakleys,  wileyx's are made for ppl in combat~

hope this helps!

EDIT-  

Those are even cheaper than Oakleys.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Try e-mailing Militec from their web site and ask them to send him some Militec-1 lube.  I know they were sending it to the troops for free, just give them your/his address with  how much he needs and they'll ship it out.  Great people and a great product especially for the desert.  They sent a bunch to my crew in Iraq in '04.  Best wishes to your son.

Here is the link.  

'http://www.militec-1.com/
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get the SG-1 convertible goggles.  They fog up unless conditions are really windy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
cheaper in price possibly, but very rugged and durable goggles and glasses...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]
The locals may not be impressed, but you can bet his buddies would be.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

#552 EOTECH would work great.  and you are definitly on the right track for a LOT more bottles of CLP,  as for shooting glasses,  www.wileyx.com,   the xl-1s or the sg-1s are GREAT~   they are absolutley rugged and reliable,  they work as all around glasses also,  dont go with oakleys,  wileyx's are made for ppl in combat~

hope this helps!

EDIT-  

I have to disagree on the Oakley vs. Wiley X statement. Pat Rogers had an excellent post about eye protection on another forum (Tacticalforums.com I believe) and gave some pretty strong arguments in favor of Oakleys, and some negative comments in regards to the Wiley-X's... After reading the thread, I shoot in nothing but Oakleys. I only wish I could find the thread...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies.  When I finished my last service call of the day, I stopped at a Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain and was able to procure 18 bottles of Break-Free CLP (all they had) and I am going to my stash of EEZOX too.  

I ordered a set of Oakley goggles with an extra lens and sunglasses as that is what he mentioned and I found similar comments on them by checking out several forums.  The only thing I have left to get is the vertical "gangster" grip.  I was looking at Tango Down.  Can these take abuse?  I don't want something that may work loose and these seem to have a good mounting system.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't get the SG-1 convertible goggles.  They fog up unless conditions are really windy.

Do you own a pair?  Mine have never fogged up in the Az summer and me sweating my butt off while hiking.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you own a pair?  Mine have never fogged up in the Az summer and me sweating my butt off while hiking.

I own 2 pair, one is issued and the other was given to me.  

Both fog up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I do.  I even cut some of the foam out and they still fog up when I'm not moving.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to fog up in the dry air of Arizona.  Try it out in Houston or Dallas...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to fog up in the dry air of Arizona.  Try it out in Houston or Dallas...

They don't have good air flow.  If you work in the sun with them on, you're going to sweat, and when that happens, the SG-1s fog up.  It's not so bad if I wear the strap loose and I'm moving, but even then they sometimes fog on me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  When I finished my last service call of the day, I stopped at a Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain and was able to procure 18 bottles of Break-Free CLP (all they had) and I am going to my stash of EEZOX too.  

I ordered a set of Oakley goggles with an extra lens and sunglasses as that is what he mentioned and I found similar comments on them by checking out several forums.  The only thing I have left to get is the vertical "gangster" grip.  I was looking at Tango Down.  Can these take abuse?  I don't want something that may work loose and these seem to have a good mounting system.  

Tango Down is very rugged and sturdy.  It also can be used as storage.  God Bless Your Son.  I Thank Him for his service.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#21]
gaweidert,

I have a Tango Down front grip I just took off one of my rifles last night.  Send an email to [email protected] with your address and I will send it to you free of charge.

Jason
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardly anything fogs up in the desert heat.  Try them over here in Ohio, with 85%+ humidity, and see how they do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the info and a BIG THANK YOU to Jason for sending his own Tango Down grip.  It's on it's way along with several bottles of Break Free CLP.  Had to cancel on the Oakleys as everone I talked to is out of them. and quoting weeks to get them in.  R & S Tactical Gear is sending a set of Wiley X Tactical SG-1 Combat Goggles and extra lenses directly to my son.    Nnice people to deal with.

Thanks to all for the advice and opinoins.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope this helps!

EDIT-  

It helps except for the fact that wiley x isn't even in the same league as oakley.

Get him the Oakley XLJ half jackets, with a few different polarized lenses.  

Durable as shit, all lenses slaugther the ANSI standards, and they do not distort vision, unlike almost every other maker out there.

Go oakley.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I would not go Oakley..they DO NOT stand behind their product. I had a pair of the Zero sunglasses that started losing the mirrioring and was becoming discolored after only a year.

I never mistreated my sunglasses and only used Oakly approved cleaning products on them. When not in use, they were in the carrying bag. Never out of my truck and nver left to bake in the sun in my truck.

They were $100 and change and they told me that they would not replace them...

WileyX will at the very least, stand behind their sunglasses...

Oakley can frack off and die.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#26]
My son called today.  Very good to hear his voice.  I otld him what was coming his way and he was very appreciative.  He couldn't belive it that someone whould donate a Tango Down grip.  I told him that there are many people out there who appreciate what he is doing and are glad to help in any way.  A real morale booster.

He also told me a pretty funny story.  Some of the locals have taken to throwing rocks at the turret gunner on the HUMVEEs.  The gunner on his keeps an ammo box loaded with rocks to throw back.  He said throwing lead would look bad on CNN.  He is getting the kind of education you can only get through experience.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#27]
If your son needs anything else...let me know...I get a discount through Brownell's and I would be happy to let you buy through me at my discount anything he needs, if Brownell's has it.....

Just e-mail me if you need to..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My son called today.  Very good to hear his voice.  I otld him what was coming his way and he was very appreciative.  He couldn't belive it that someone whould donate a Tango Down grip.  I told him that there are many people out there who appreciate what he is doing and are glad to help in any way.  A real morale booster.

He also told me a pretty funny story.  Some of the locals have taken to throwing rocks at the turret gunner on the HUMVEEs.  The gunner on his keeps an ammo box loaded with rocks to throw back.  He said throwing lead would look bad on CNN.  He is getting the kind of education you can only get through experience.

Thanks

GIVE him a sling shot. Imagine there faces when you hit the shit out of them with one hehe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I just got off the phone with my son who is deployed to Afghanistan.  I asked him what he needs.  Gave me the following list.:

He needs a gangster grip for his M4.  What would be a good brand and where can I get one?

His goggles, shooting glasses, plus some clothing,  were "removed" from his duffle bag somewhere along the way.  What would be a good quality pair of goggles to get for him?  I am going to get him some Oakley tinted shooting glasses.

What model Eotech would be standard for use over there.  He had to give his original rifle to another company and the rifle he got issued only has a red dot on it.   If I can get one I may send that over too.  

I was also surprised to learn that they only had 15 bottles of CLP for the 80 men in his group so I am going to get a ton of that and send it over too.  

Thanks for any suggestions.  I am trying to pull this together in a couple of days so quick responses are really appreciated.  .  

I am not able to advise you on the technical help your son needs
But there is one thing you can give to him from My family and ME in the UK

Our thanks for his service

I have a few UK friends out there and moral support from home goes a very very long way

Thank you
Taffy

ETA I can send some Welsh stones for him to throw on my behalf
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Ergo grip would work well too,

goggles: wiley X , or Bolle tactical t-800's

Eotech,  can't help you there, don't know the difference between the models but overall rating of them is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
All I can say is my Wiley-X Romer II's fog up when I put them on, and I'm just standing still. THICK lenses though, very well made.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#32]
On the glasses, I would skip both the Wileys and Oakleys and go with Venture IIs.  The Venture IIs are great, and provide a wrap around lens that goes well back of the eyesockets for greater protection.  The stems are adjustable for length as well.
I was introduced to the V-IIs through an e-mail request from my cousin in Iraq (S-3, TF Baghdad, FOB Falcon).  The V-IIs have a reputation for working well.  They are inexpensive and therefore you can send him multiple pairs of both clear and shaded so he has both day and night options that can be disposed of or lost.  Moreover, these are designed as safety glasses first,  

I would suggest the SB1820st Gray/Smoke anti-fog, Silver mirror 1870s, Blue mirror 1875s or Gold mirror 1890s for day use, and the clear indoor/outdoor 1880st or 1885s for night use.  While the mirror qualities of the 1880st are superior to the 1885s, I would recommend the 1885 clear blue coat for night use as there is more double imaging from the mirror coat on the non-blue 1880st, which could be problematic in viewing anything from instrument lights to the reticle on a TA31 ACOG.  They also offer goggles which are in either gray/smoke or clear indoor/outdoor, which are a bit more expensive, the GB1820s and GB1880st, these offer the most protection from dust and debris, but I cannot attest to their anti-fog qualities.  The glasses work well, as I have run miles in them and they do not fog as much as my Wiley-Xs.  (if you are going to spring for the SG-1s, make sure you get the V-cut, for better ventilation)

The word is that its alot easier to grab a separate set of glasses than switch out  your lenses on the Wiley-Xs, therefore, alot of guys are prefering to keep their Wileys in either the day or night lens configuration and use other glasses (such as Venture IIs) for the other application.  
I bought one of each of the lenses they offer and sent them over to the sand in addition to the ones requested.  They all came with good lens coatings and are strong as hell.  Plus, when they get scratched, they're economical to replace.
At $5.00 to $8.00 each, you cannot lose.  
I'm working on getting a group buy from the manufacturer for sets of day and nights for my cousin's battalion.  But I wouldn't wait before you send some to your son.  I would argue that even if you are going to get your son more expensive Wileys or Oakley, you should send him a couple of pairs of Venture IIs as backups.

I have made my purchases from this distributor and they are quick, honest and responsive to orders.  
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Pyramex.htm
Here is another distributor with less selection of Venture IIs but with Wileys and other glasses if you choose to go that route in the alternative or as well.

Here is some more info from the manufacturer:
http://www.pyramexsafety.com/html/modules.php?name=Product&sel=model&product=Spectacles&type=Venture%20II&model=SB1885S
http://www.pyramexsafety.com/html/modules.php?name=Product&sel=model&product=Spectacles&type=V2G&model=GB1880ST

-Marko

edit to add: the army is apparently ordering Venture IIs en masse for the sandboxes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Props to R&S Tactical.  The Wiley SG Goggles are great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Get the Wiley X CQC.  IMHO, they are the best out there.  Also, go for the Militec.  CLP sucks, especially over there.  And like the guy mentioned earlier, Militec will more than likely send your son and his unit all they need, free of charge.  The people at Militec are a great bunch.  I emailed then before my last deployment, and they sent enough for all my Marines.

As far as the rocks...I prefered a nice collapsable baton.  A lot of times you get put in a situation where you can't shoot them, but when you whip out the baton, the rules change.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#35]
My friend, an engineer, is working for ESS Goggles.
He sent me a pair of their CDI sunglasses.

http://www.essgoggles.com/uploads/CDI_LensExchange.jpg

The lenses are the clearest I've encountered in sunglasses, so clear that I've been forgetting to take them off indoors.
As a function of their eye protection  they ride quite close to the face and as a result, I've found that they are prone to fogging in the high heat and humidity we've had this summer.
Though I doubt that humidity will be an issue for your son.
My friend also commented on how tough the lenses are.
He's shot the lenses numerous times with a 25 caliber BB at 960fps and the lenses have not been compromised.
From my brief experience with them and my friends comments on their strength and durability, I'd take a look at the ESS line for your son, their site also has some convincing testimonials.
My best wishes your son and his comrades.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

hope this helps!

EDIT-  

I'm not fighting, but, I have a pair of the SG-1 and they are kick ass. Comes with a set of dark and the clear lenses. A strap to keep the secured to your helmet and another to wear around your neck. Also, if he wears regular glasses you can get prescription lenses made to fit the frams.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#37]
As far as the shooting glasses go, I saw on shooting times (on OLN) that the company that makes the smith and wesson shooting glasses has been send glasses over to troops free of charge.  If you are looking to buy a set it wouldn't hurt to support the company that is supporting us troops.

Just a thought.

Good luck to your son and I hope he has a safe and uneventful tour.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top