Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
hard to tell but its similar to the ameetec one minus the holes

first item on this page
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously dude, what are you trying to do?  Get everyone's help in I.D.'ing this latch so you can go to Lumpy's thread regarding the same picture and break the news to everyone?

It's not the ameetec latch...

This one's welded onto and in front of where a tac latch normally is...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Seriously dude, what are you trying to do?  Get everyone's help in I.D.'ing this latch so you can go to Lumpy's thread regarding the same picture and break the news to everyone?

Actually, what I'm trying to do is find out who makes this particular latch. No secret agenda.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Check this one out Princeton-------------->It sure looks like it!

But again, I found literally dozens of potential tactical latches by searching

Google: "Tactical latches AR15"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Check this one out Princeton-------------->It sure looks like it!

But again, I found literally dozens of potential tactical latches by searching

Google: "Tactical latches AR15"

It could be, but I don't see the ambi part of that one in the pic, but the pic does get pretty dark in that area.  Now that I have looked at it in high res, there is no ambi part to that latch.  And the shape of the latch is very different.

If properly skilled, equipped and motivated, it's a no brainer to weld an aluminum tab onto a standard latch and call it "tactical".  That's my guess, unless there is a new product out there that hasn't hit the civvy market yet.  Looking closely, I'm almost positive I see a weld bead around the area where the standard latch would be.

OMG, I just noticed that the serial number of that rifle is perfectly clear.  I need to report it stolen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks grossly big, perhaps Power Custom?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hard to tell but its similar to the ameetec one minus the holes

first item on this page

The Ameetec tab is not centered on the latch, like the one on the corpsman's latch.  His tab is welded on, centered to the latch.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Why be a dick? He probably just wants to ID it so he can get one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno how our troops can go with their rifles looking like that...I know they're in combat and I know looks don't matter but why would you let a rifle get that dirty when it'd take maybe five mins with a tootbrush to get the dirt outta the bolt catch, mag catch, etc etc. Meh...I'm one of those people who like to have a nice looking rifle.

Yes, I also know that the AR is a tool and it's not one of those pristine rifles like a collector's grade M1 Garand or K98 but still...it's nice to have a prettyful rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dunno how our troops can go with their rifles looking like that...I know they're in combat and I know looks don't matter but why would you let a rifle get that dirty when it'd take maybe five mins with a tootbrush to get the dirt outta the bolt catch, mag catch, etc etc. Meh...I'm one of those people who like to have a nice looking rifle.

Yes, I also know that the AR is a tool and it's not one of those pristine rifles like a collector's grade M1 Garand or K98 but still...it's nice to have a prettyful rifle.

As in the last thread, this pic is a speck in time.  You have no idea what the last few hours or few days were like for this guy.  I'm sure this guy cares for his weapon, but there's a time for that and a time to be vigalently watching for the next fight.  Get over the shitty looking weapon.  This guy's at war.

I mean damn, he needs a shave and his nose is sunburnt.  Gonna bust him on that, too????
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
new product, or home-made, it seems clear that it is to serve as a quick access to the charging handle while wearing heavier gloves

And I could sell a hundred of them if I had them about now
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally, Lumpy believes its armorer-made and a modified PRI latch judging from the look of the base portion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Heck if I know.

But the magazine looks like an HK.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Badger.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't believe that he would be willing to risk his life by allowing his M4 to be a little dirty. Sheesh, everyone knows that the M16/AR15 family weapons are so fragile and finicky that they will not function unless you keep them absloutely spotless.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Badger.

Nope.  Not even Gen II, which is pictured below.

Gen I:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As in the last thread, this pic is a speck in time.  You have no idea what the last few hours or few days were like for this guy.  I'm sure this guy cares for his weapon, but there's a time for that and a time to be vigalently watching for the next fight.  Get over the shitty looking weapon.  This guy's at war.

I mean damn, he needs a shave and his nose is sunburnt.  Gonna bust him on that, too????

Sorry...................I know there is a time for that. Wasn't exactly thinking right (as usual ). I'm not trying to say anything bad about this guy or other Marines or any other types of soldiers.

Sorry mongo
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry...................I know there is a time for that. Wasn't exactly thinking right (as usual ). I'm not trying to say anything bad about this guy or other Marines or any other types of soldiers.

Sorry mongo

No biggy.  Just don't take one moment in time out of context.  I was in the military and people did that to me all the time.  I'd bust my ass through the night to tear some broken down piece of equipment apart so that I could get the critical pieces to the repair facility by morning and some weenie NCO or officer at the repair facitity busts my chops for having a dirty uniform.  Well....................................................NO SHIT!!!!  I just spent twelve hours tearing something apart so you'd have something to do today!!!!

Anyway, here's a blow up of the area in question, so that we can filter out the noise in the pic:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This post has convince me that the internet and 90% of the people on it are terminally retarded and will run their fucking mouth about anything.

CLUE1:  HE'S IN AN OPEN VEHICLE
CLUE2:  HE'S IN IRAQ - THATS A DESERT IF YOU DONT FUCKING KNOW THAT
CLUE3:  MOVING VEHICLES CREATE DUST, JUST IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW THAT TOO

HE PROBABLY DOESNT GIVE A FUCK ONE IF YOU LIKE YOUR GOD DAMN RIFLE "PRETTYFUL".

Fuck me, I quit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to second the idea it's a armorer special.

Looks like a simple beveled paddle welded to the latch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This post has convince me that the internet and 90% of the people on it are terminally retarded and will run their fucking mouth about anything.

Fuck me, I quit.

Don't bust a blood vessel, dang. Read my last post.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck me, I quit.

Don't quit now. Some of us really enjoy seeing pictures of real men with real weapons in real situations. Your pics are a great contribution to this community.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are no words that can describe my astonishment at this comment.

I'm now curious, however, who makes that Tac Latch as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
That is strange.

What would be the reasons for doing this?

First I thought maybe it was a modification for a left friendly charging handle, evidence in the pic seems to support that since the shooter appears to be left handed.

Then I thought, maybe it's some kind of mod to the upper receiver to prevent hitting the charging handle latch accidently, why a person would do this I have absolutely no idea.    Part of it does look like it's attached to the receiver and meant to shroud the latch for the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#26]

That is strange.

What would be the reasons for doing this?

First I thought maybe it was a modification for a left friendly charging handle, evidence in the pic seems to support that since the shooter appears to be left handed.

Then I thought, maybe it's some kind of mod to the upper receiver to prevent hitting the charging handle latch accidently, why a person would do this I have absolutely no idea. Part of it does look like it's attached to the receiver and meant to shroud the latch for the charging handle.

It's usually installed to make sure you can hit the latch in different scenarios (when you have cold-weather mitts on or your fine-motor skills take leave during an adrenaline charged firefight or if you have a obtrusive device mounted on the upper rail etc.)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I can understand the reasons why if it was attached to the latch itself, I've got one of the Badger jobbers on my accurized rifle so that it's easy to manipulate with one hand due to the placement of the optic.

I just can't quite make out whether the thing is attached to the latch or attached to the receiver.   Latch makes more sense but the over built nature of it, doesn't seem quite right.    Plus, why not build off of the latch where it would give you mechanical leverage further out on the end of the latch?    Why attach it to a point close to the "claw" that engages the notch in the receiver where the forces placed on it would be more likely to bend that thin area of metal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]

It looks to me like a zipper tab attached (welded) to a latch. You could see that it isn't a solid piece.

just my $0.02

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/got_guns/LatchCloseup.jpg

It looks to me like a zipper tab attached (welded) to a latch. You could see that it isn't a solid piece.

just my $0.02

That sounds reasonable.  As long as it was aluminum.  Welding aluminum to steel is frustrating.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry mongo

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are no words that can describe my astonishment at this comment.

I'm now curious, however, who makes that Tac Latch as well.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess it does look like an armory special. I know wearing gloves would make it difficult to use the standard latch in a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#32]
so, what is this thread up to, 2 pages or 5, technically speaking?

Can anyone think of small anodized scraps of metal that would by lying around an armorer's bench that could be welded to latches like this?  It looks anodized and then re-worn.  I doubt that it was scrap bare aluminum, then anodized after it was welded.  

My point being- it doesn't look like it's cut from a larger piece, fitted and rounded over and then welded and anodized.  It is either some obscure brand (H&K MAYBE???) or it was made out of something common and easy to turn into a tac latch.  

It almost looks like it's attached with a hinge to the receiver and is just a long lever that will disengage the standard latch on the charging handle because it looks open in the center.  But, that would be ridiculously ridiculous...

Blanco-  sheeeeesh...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#33]
is that an hk mag?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Now, I may post some stupid shit from time to time (hey, we all have our moments), but Holy fucking shit...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if that is a trigger guard that was cut, ground and welded on??
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#36]
JESUS CRUST
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, I may post some stupid shit from time to time (hey, we all have our moments), but Holy fucking shit...

Maybe, but the difference between You and Blanco_Diablo, is that he posts stupid/annoying shit all the time @ a cyclic rate of 25 PPM(posts per minute). Blanco are You like 12? There are alot of seasoned pros on this board to learn from. Lurk abit more and STFU instead of making a spectacle of yourself and maybe you'll learn something.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
is that an hk mag?

As Minuteman419 pointed out, yes.

Safe queens can get you killed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Something about this picture makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that i have [at least a copy of] a rifle that is out there kicking ass and chewing bubble gum.

Dont get me wrong, im totally not the type who'd want to go to war or anything, but seeing proof that AR[type rifles] dont suck always makes me happy.

And i noticed the dirt too, but the first thing that came to mind was "i wonder what his day's been like"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but the difference between You and Blanco_Diablo, is that he posts stupid/annoying shit all the time @ a cyclic rate of 25 PPM(posts per minute). Blanco are You like 12? There are alot of seasoned pros on this board to learn from. Lurk abit more and STFU instead of making a spectacle of yourself and maybe you'll learn something.

Are you one of these perfect seasoned pros? No one is perfect, Iron. Yes I make stupid posts but so does everyone. Sorry I can't meet your standards.

Last time before this that I posted something actually stupid and wasn't joking was, what, that vote thread? That was like posted in, what, last month?  Just leave it alone...God. Find something other than my mistakes to talk about.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey- please be nice to the White Devil- he's a good kid.  As long as you explain things in a decent way, you'll come away with a warm and fuzzy feeling.  He's like a little sponge.  He's happy to learn and more than gracious when you teach him.  He only says what he says to help feel to fit in because of the last time he stuck a hoof in his mouth.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey- please be nice to the White Devil- he's a good kid.  As long as you explain things in a decent way, you'll come away with a warm and fuzzy feeling.  He's like a little sponge.  He's happy to learn and more than gracious when you teach him.  He only says what he says to help feel to fit in because of the last time he stuck a hoof in his mouth.  

I don't know whether to take this as a compliment or an insult.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I just can't quite make out whether the thing is attached to the latch or attached to the receiver.   Latch makes more sense but the over built nature of it, doesn't seem quite right.    Plus, why not build off of the latch where it would give you mechanical leverage further out on the end of the latch?    Why attach it to a point close to the "claw" that engages the notch in the receiver where the forces placed on it would be more likely to bend that thin area of metal?

It's attached (welded) to the latch.  For the exact reason that you said, to make it easier to manipulate.  The knobs on his CCH stick out a bit (I know, I use one) and that latch can be hard to hit sometimes.  If it was on the reciever, it would obstruct the rapid manipulation of the latch, which I doubt very seriously is something that would be desired.  I don't know that I've ever heard of a negligent charge.  The CCH knobs would do that by themsleves.  As for being over built, I would imagine that not only would you not want something fragile, small, and hard to locate on the latch, but I also suspect that being an improvised item, it might have been difficult to make it much smaller.  Personally, I don't see it as being overbuilt.  This actually the first tac latch that I actually like the looks of in terms of stability and strength.  As for why it was placed on the front of the latch as opposed to the side, that's easy:  leverage.  Not leverage in making it easier to operate, but resisting the leverage placed on it.  If it's a field mod, you might not be able to get enough metal on it when it's welded. so that if it was placed farther out it would get ripped off if it were agressively operated (which I would imagine just might happen a lot).  There's more surface area on the front of the latch to put metal on as opposed to side.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the tac latches like Badger's first iteration was, gee, that hollow design looks like it would break after a while.  Another consideration on having it inboard of the outside edge is snagging that thing on gear, door frames, or whatever.
FWIW, I'm sure that the doc would probably laugh his ass off seeing how much discussion his rifle has generated, even without the discussion on whether the 1SG would be happy with it's appearance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd take it as pity if I were you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...thanks for that...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn... You guys are going to have him standing on the edge of a bridge
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually, I'm one of those people that really can't be offended online. I'll defend myself, of course, but I'm really not offended.

I'm not really mad at anyone and I hope no one's actually mad at me. Hopefully we'll come away from this thread as buds and not as "internet enemies".  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Blanco-

you aren't a paying member yet?

I might have to *sponsor* you...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Blanco-

you aren't a paying member yet?

I might have to *sponsor* you...

Not yet...I think I'm going to be sometime soon.

Or you could just  "*sponsor*" me now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top