Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:46:27 PM EDT
Is there anybody who sells demilled M-16 lower recievers specificly the rear portion, prefferably with the markings on it?....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that you need a purpose or reason for such an item, but merely out of curiosity, why would you want such a thing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
SARCO??
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is there anybody who sells demilled M-16 lower recievers specificly the rear portion, prefferably with the markings on it?....

Thats where the sear hole is...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually I would want it to construct a correct A1 clone, since no one makes the A1 reciever, the front pivot pin would be easy to trim to A1 specifications but the back reciever ring would be tricky, so the idea would be to buy a standard A2 lower mill down the front take down pin cut off the rear half, then weld on the M-16A1 rear half, with the sear hole welded shut ofcourse, the markings would be a plus to how many AR-15's have you seen that have the correct Safe, Semi, Full markings, I think I saw someone selling these before, but I don't recall who, a complete A1 saw cut lower would also be nice, just weld up the sear hole, and weld it back togethor into a semi....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this falls into the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" per BATFE.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe "once a machine gun always a machine gun" would refer to the serial number portion, but, to be safe I think you would want to reweld rear of the sear hole

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not that you need a purpose or reason for such an item, but merely out of curiosity, why would you want such a thing?

Damn good paperweights, great conversation starters too, I've met some good gun people who otherwise would have never had the opportunity to start such a conversation
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think this falls into the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" per BATFE.

Roger on that.  It's the reason that, when the Director of Civelian Marksmanship was selling M1 Carbines during the 1960s thru the NRA, none of the shipped pieces were marked "M2", even though all they would have had to do would have been to remove 4 parts, and replace them w/ two (hammer and trigger housing pin).  One of the pieces I bought at the time had, on fact, been converted to M2 config at some point. Hammer looked brand new, they hadn't even put in the housing pin , and you could see rub marks aon the side of the operating slide from the arm.

But the receiver was marked M1, so it was legal.

Seems like an awful lot of work, though, to build up a cut in half M16 lower, just to have different receiver markings on it.  BTW, you CAN reshape a current type lower to A1 configuration. I know, 'cause I just did one.  Yes, it's a PITA; but it can be done---and you don't need anything more than a good set of files, and some abrasive paper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you find thoughs, and how much?....

I don't think the once a machinegun, always a machinegun would apply here, once it's been demilled the BATF considers it to be scrap metal not subject to any regulation, it's perfectly legal to take that scrap metal and turn it into a gun provided that when you finnish it's a BATF aproved semi-auto, meaning that before you weld it togethor you have to weld up the sear pin hole so that legaly speaking at no time was that scrap metal considered a machine gun, people have been assembling semi-auto BRENS from parts kits for some time now they just weld a "semi-auto rail" into the reciever first that would prevent the automatic parts from fitting, and THEN weld the origional reciever segments back togethor, and it's BATF aproved....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You could build your own "M-16"

All you need to do is go through the PITA process (including red tape) of building an 80% receiver into a semi-automatic rifle. If you want to engave "Colt M16A1, US Government Property, the horsey, SAFE/SEMI/ROCK N ROLL, etc." you can. AFAIK, It doesn't infringe upon colt's trademark in that you are not selling the weapon so there should be no problems.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That applies to machine guns cannot be made into semis, not that they cannot be demilled into non-guns per ATF specs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top