Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:58:51 AM EDT
I own a Colt LE6920 that I've been very happy with until yesterday when I traded some other guns for a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine.  I took it out and shot 200 rounds through it yesterday and my impression is that it is, at the very least, equal to the Colt if not better.  Handling and accuracy were outstanding with zero malfunctions.  The trigger on this rifle made the Colt trigger seem like it had gravel in it he
And please, only adults respond to this.  I'm not wanting to have a 3rd grade squabble over this.  Just giving credit where it is due.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought the 6920 had a 6 position stock. Colt does have better QC than anyother company out their. Bushmaster has a few problems here and their but their quality is right up their next to colt
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes the Colt has less positions than the Bushmaster, but they're QC is fricken awesome.  Also, the M16 carrier is a plus.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes the Colt has less positions than the Bushmaster, but they're QC is fricken awesome.  Also, the M16 carrier is a plus.

My friend just bought a 6920 a month ago and didn't get the M16 carrier.  Must be hit or miss.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own a Colt LE6920 that I've been very happy with until yesterday when I traded some other guns for a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine.  I took it out and shot 200 rounds through it yesterday and my impression is that it is, at the very least, equal to the Colt if not better.  Handling and accuracy were outstanding with zero malfunctions.  The trigger on this rifle made the Colt trigger seem like it had gravel in it .  I also like the 6-position stock better than the 4-position on the 6920.  Don't get me wrong, the Colt is still a great rifle, but after all the things I've read here about Bushmaster I nearly expected the damn thing to fall apart after the first mag.  It may have just been the ammo (XM193 through both) and differing twists, but I just wanted to give kudos to Bushy for the fine weapon!

And please, only adults respond to this.  I'm not wanting to have a 3rd grade squabble over this.  Just giving credit where it is due.

Nobody has said that the Bushmaster would fall apart.   Bushmaster still makes a great gun.  [putting words in people's mouths]  Pat Rogers' claim, as I understand it, is that Colts are made to exacting specifications that Bushmasters just aren't and so he sees a fair number of Bushmasters fail in his classes, and that, all things being equal, Colts perform better IN AGGREGATE than Bushmasters (which he apparently considers the best of the "clone" guns).  [/putting words in other people's mouths].  That claim is MUCH different than "Bushmasters are junk and they will fall apart".  

All that said, it all depends on the individual piece.  Some Colts are good, some Bushmasters are good.  

I for one like my 6920 much better than my buddy's bushmaster patrol carbine.  I also think the trigger is FAR better than any other issue trigger I've felt.  The moral is guess is that each gun is to a degree different.  If you have the choice, go to the gunshop and try several of them.  In fact, I know one local IDPA instructor who does precisely that with Glocks before he buys one.    
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My friend just bought a 6920 a month ago and didn't get the M16 carrier.  Must be hit or miss.  

Your friend's 6920 was undoubtedly built before Feb 2005. On Feb 14 (letter dated Feb 10) Colt received word from the BATFe that M16 carriers are perfectly legal in AR type rifles, just as long as they don't make the rifle fire fullauto.

Here's a copy of the letter. The relevant portion to us is on page two:

BATFe letter page 1
BATFe letter page 2
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the Colt trigger seem like it had gravel in it hr

I love the trigger on my 6721!  I also have a kac 2stage trigger-excellent trigger(the best in my limited oppinion) and in comparison the 6721 definitely does not feel like its got gravel in it, its a very crisp release, completley predictable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster has better support.  May be just my experience.  Just got done talking to them about some problem with the foreend fixture by making a direct call.  I was taken care of instantly by a very knowledgeable rep without waiting for someone else to call us back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I own a Colt LE6920 that I've been very happy with until yesterday when I traded some other guns for a Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine.  I took it out and shot 200 rounds through it yesterday and my impression is that it is, at the very least, equal to the Colt if not better.  Handling and accuracy were outstanding with zero malfunctions.  The trigger on this rifle made the Colt trigger seem like it had gravel in it he

Nobody has said that the Bushmaster would fall apart.   Bushmaster still makes a great gun.  [putting words in people's mouths]  Pat Rogers' claim, as I understand it, is that Colts are made to exacting specifications that Bushmasters just aren't and so he sees a fair number of Bushmasters fail in his classes, and that, all things being equal, Colts perform better IN AGGREGATE than Bushmasters (which he apparently considers the best of the "clone" guns).  [/putting words in other people's mouths].  That claim is MUCH different than "Bushmasters are junk and they will fall apart".  

All that said, it all depends on the individual piece.  Some Colts are good, some Bushmasters are good.  

I for one like my 6920 much better than my buddy's bushmaster patrol carbine.  I also think the trigger is FAR better than any other issue trigger I've felt.  The moral is guess is that each gun is to a degree different.  If you have the choice, go to the gunshop and try several of them.  In fact, I know one local IDPA instructor who does precisely that with Glocks before he buys one.    

I wasn't trying to imply that someone actually said they would fall apart, just that sometimes that's the general tone of some people's comments.  If I had actually believed that it would fall apart I wouldn't have traded for one and I sure as hell wouldn't have fired it.  I also know that there are going to be good and bad rifles from everyone, but I guess I had almost bought into some of the "Bushmasters are crap" type thinking.  I've always believed that both companies make good rifles or they wouldn't be in business, but now I've confirmed it for myself.  FWIW
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your friend's 6920 was undoubtedly built before Feb 2005. On Feb 14 (letter dated Feb 10) Colt received word from the BATFe that M16 carriers are perfectly legal in AR type rifles, just as long as they don't make the rifle fire fullauto.

Here's a copy of the letter. The relevant portion to us is on page two:

BATFe letter page 1
BATFe letter page 2

thanks for the linky
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I LOVE my Patrolman. It has been flawless through a couple thousand rounds so far.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I also like the 6-position stock better than the 4-position on the 6920.  Don't get me wrong, the Colt is still a great rifle,

The stock on your Colt is far better than the Bushy.  Just put the two side by side.  The Colt molding is much more well done than the Bushy.

The Colt buffer tube is also superior being a forging rather than an extrusion.

Bushmaster makes a fine rifle but their stock is not close to what Colt makes.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, and don't forget their QC . . .
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]

The Colt buffer tube is also superior being a forging rather than an extrusion.
Is Colt still using forged tubes? Specialized Armament lists both forged and extruded Colt buffer tubes, with the forged ones going for big bucks, which led me to believe they were no longer in production.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top