Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:56:53 AM EDT
Looking to buy several Items from Yankee hill, would like opinions on user experience with quality, durability and adherence to standard specifications. Please speak candidly.

specifically the A1 flip up sight, and two picatinny rail systems at the moment.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Rail systems can come loose if you don't take care (and Loctite) in assembling them - this is greatly dependent on use.  They probably won't come loose if your shooting follows a pattern like this - safe, gun case, truck, bench, gun case, truck, safe.  I broke one loose using a FVG one day.  YMMV, flame away.

I'd list all of their products as "adequate".  Some are better and they do have some unique products if you have the need for them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Good products for the price.  It should go without saying that a $100 rail system by YHM is not as nice as a $300 piece from LaRue, but saving that amount of cash might be important to you.  I like the one YHM rail I have just fine, but the LaRue looks and feels like sex by comparison.  I also had to do some light fitting on my TD grip to make it work easily on the YHM.  The Phantoms are great.  No reason not to use them, IMO.  If I were doing a budget build and wanted a FF tube with rails I would go with YHM again.  If I were wealthy and building a masterpiece "recce" or SPR clone I would not.

Grammar edit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I bought a NIB Bushmaster modular carbine and it comes equipped with YHM rails and irons. I have had no problems with anything so far. Nothing coming loose or wont fit.
Though I have not been able to compare with other brands I like the system.
My poll vote on my limited experience is 100% satisfaction.  

Pic of when I first got it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
YHM doesn't have the appeal of the high-dollar stuff, but everything I've ordered from them (YHM) has served it's intended purpose well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I own three, and have never had an issue, many will claim to have loosening but if you lock-tite it and maybe even stake the unit...........no trouble!  Put some Norells on there and MY GOD its sweet.....pics soon to come.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to go in my book

Max
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
i have used yhm stuff for a couple of budget builds and for the money they are great.

the locking ring on the ff i just tighten the crap out of them and they never gave me any problems.

here are some pics of my setups using various yhm products

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same tube that eklikwhoa has on his...IMO, YHM stuff is good...better than I will ever need it to be...

I put the customizable FF tube on my SPRish build....just got back a bit ago from the range test of the upper I built and the tube has held just fine...use some Loctite and you will be fine...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like they are a go.

Guys, thanks for taking the time to post and especially post photos.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Mongo001 hit it on the head, this thread is really meaningless without providing your daily/weekly/monthly/yearly round counts, and how these rifles are used. Work? Carbine classes? safe queens?

MY experience with YHM is good, but I haven't tried the parts you are considering:

1. replacement EOTech screw. Had my EO fall off once during a class.  I made it a habit to check my KAC grip and 1" ringed flashlight for tightness, but not the EO. I check it now. The rifle is the Giffman middy, and has seen about 700 rounds this year.

2. Phantom: I got the 4 port model, it works.

3. 1 slot canted rail: If you have short fingers, this is the perfect way to get a flashlight closer to your VFG. $12? Who can beat that?

4. I had the replacement 4 way rail that Brightflashlights has for $115 or so. I wanted free floating, but in the 100 or so rounds that i used the rifle, it didn't come loose.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My only experience with YHM comes from getting a Phantom 5C2... not much to go by but, I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is freshly built, so no I don't have a huge number of rounds..nor do I rappel from helos, do HALO jumps, kick in doors or exit Submarines off the coast of China...well except on the Xbox..

Nor are my guns safe queens...none of my guns are safe queens....they all get shot and get some rough handling.

I have about 55 rounds through my upper with the YHM machine YHM9432A customizable tube. I paid $81.25, with my Brownell's discount...

I do not need the DD or the Larue tubes...I did want a tube that in the future I could add rails if needed, something I could not do with a tube like the Hogue, Accuracy Speaks or the FA Enterprises tubes.

If I was going to the sandbox would I take YHM product? I don't know, maybe, if I knew of someone that had used them over there. I would stick to manufactures that I know are used over there, picking which ones based on first hand accounts.

With that said, I'm not going to combat, unless the dead come to life or we are invaded by Martians.

I like YHM stuff that I have...so far...after a few hundred rounds that may change, but right now, I'm happy with my choice.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I had purchased the Bushmaster Flip-Up Rear and Flip-Up Front sight assys which cost me right at $150 for the pair....and while ordered through Bushmaster they had the YHM logo stamped right on'em and imnsho?....they sucked.

The rear sight wasn't to bad but the flip-up front?...even when in the fully locked up position?...I could wiggle it about 5-10 degrees with my fingers...it was a joke...a bad one...which in turn automatically soured the rear sight and my opinion of YHM.

In all fairness?...Bushmaster gave me a RO# but I never followed through on returning them...and wound up basically giving them away by including them for free in the sale of my BM .308.

One things for certain...I'll never consider flip sights again and...I now have a sound preference for A2 style AR's.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My only issue was they are right here in massachusetts just a town over from me yet it was cheaper to order their phantom 5C1 from bright flashlights in florida basically an $8 difference.You would think it would be cheaper as there in the state I live.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I would buy from them again. I've had some issues with the rail being in spec but their back up irons have been great for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have only owned one Yankee Hill Machine product, the Phantom 5C1 Comp/Flash Suppressor. It worked like a champ and gave me no reason to complain. I would buy for them again with no reservations.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm currently using one of their gas blocks under a ff tube, along with the bipod adapter for rails.  Both products do exactly what they need to, although they are not the sexiest out there.  That being said, I don't regret the purchases I've made and will probably buy more from them in the future.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#18]
YHM good to go in my book. I have never had any problems with any of there items
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The YHM-28 Flash Suppressor is top-notch.
The free-float tube is also good gear.  Mine came loose a couple of times, but that was due to my incorrect installation.  Once I broke down and bought the upper receiver vice block (thank you Paul @ Bravo Company USA) I installed it correctly.  Since then, there have been no problems; and this is with a VFG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a carbine length and a rifle length FFT on a couple of rifles.  No issues whatsoever.  1000+ rounds through each.

I do have a rear flip up that needed loctite.  I might have put loctite on the other one too....

TD grips were very tight going on both of the above, but did not shave material from the TD grip.  Solid as a rock.

Also have used the flip front sights.  Again, no problems.  Phantom flash hiders - no problem.

I wouldn't say I baby the rifles, but I don't throw them around, either.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
100% satisfied with quality and price!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a set of 2 peice carbine handguards. The top half had the peice on the end which fits into the forward retaining cap installed facing inwards. No problem to switch around but a rather sloppy job done by the person assembling it I thought.

Other than that minor thing I've found it does the job just fine & was good value for money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]
oops

ETA:   read entire below post!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good products for the price.  I have their LW FF HG on all my builds and have had zero problems.  One rifle took a four foot spell on to concrete and it was wearing a TD and the HG did not come loose...but the ACOG got scratched!  

My main carbine has easily seen a few thousand rounds with the YHM on...no problems.

The only bitch I have come across in my experience is putting on a TD.  No I did not have to dremel anything, but using two people and a rubber mallet (or my pool stick) made it way easier.

I also use their flip up front sight gas-block combo and Phantoms and bipod adapter...no problems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got the YHM quad rail handguards on my Oly.  I'm happy with them

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
not what your buying but...
I have the Phantom and one of those off-set rail mounts. I really like them. no issues to report
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a rifle length YHM customizable tube on a heavy barrel build with about 1000 rnds through it. It has a single rail on it for a bipod. I've had no issues whatsoever with it and would buy one again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#28]
2 pc. quad rail HG's work fine, fit tight. 1K rnds. or so. Take the heat good and keep barrel cooler than old plastic HG's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got one 11.5" setup using YHM two piece.  I've got a LaRue light, EOTech, and TD forward grip.  I've got it on my M16 RR lower.  The upper is chambered in 7.62x39.  It definitely takes a beating, and I've had NO problems with maintaining zero, or anything coming loose.  I've got lots of mags dumps, thru it.  So far maybe 1000 plus rounds.  I think it's fairly well proven to me it (YHM) is a durable product.

No problems, I'd buy YHM again, if I needed something in this setup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#30]
No problems with mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top