Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2005 8:46:12 AM EDT
Ok Im in the market for my first ar15 m4 sytle firearm. Now I noticed that dpms is a little less expensive. Is there a reason ? Is Bushmaster a better product or are you just paying for the name ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS is  a good range rifle,but they aren't made as well as Bushmasters.
Bushmaster to me is considered a real AR, DPMS is a knock off.

I've  got a few AR15s,Colt & Bushmasters.

I'd  got a DPMS  last year, wasn't bad,but in comparison.got rid of it.

TG
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The trigger on every DPMS I've seen is quite grim. Bushmaster isn't always great, but I bought a no ban a few months back and the trigger was decent. Spend the money on the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Snake vs. a panther? Tough call. I guess it depends how big the snake is. All the snake has to do is get in one bite and the panther will eventually die but it will have a chance to make the snake it's last meal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend the few extra bucks and get the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
well it looks like I will be picking up a bushy then.. Thanks for the replies..
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Spend the few extra bucks and get the Bushmaster.

Spend the extra bucks and get the Colt!

But if you're only going to limit to those two brands, Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I own two Bushmaster 20" and 1 DPMS M4.

The DPMS has served me well and came nicely featured

4140 Chrome Moly M4 Profile Barrel
M4 Feed Ramps
T Marked upper
Chrome BCG
Cardinal Forge marked carry handle
two 30 round Black Teflon mags
Nothing was cast, everything is forged
Gun Case

All for $779

It is a well made gun. No play between upper and lower and finish is nice and deep black, thick and consistant. It has seen hard times too. I'm always harder on guns people say arent durable, so it's been dropped in sand and on rocks, kicked, used as walking stick and was borrowed by an LEO friend for carbine training where it ate 2000 rounds in a couple of hours.

Zero Malfuctions with factory ammo (though it didnt like a batch of reloads)
1-2 MOA with irons
Hardly a blemish after a CLP wipe down

The only downer is the Glacier Guards smoke up a lot, which smells like melting plastic, though I have taken them off and didnt see any signs of damage

Anyway, my point is not that DPMS is better than Bushmaster, (as I said, I own both) but that both are well made guns and should serve you well despite what some people think

One huge adavantage the DPMS has is the Chrome BCG which cycles smoother than the Bushmaster and is easier to clean. Also chrome is slick by nature so less lube is needed resulting in less gunk in the action after a long day of shooting. Lube attracts lots of dirt and residue from the gas system
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My old DPMS Sweet Sixteen was a very good rifle overall, but there were a bunch of little things that bothered me.

The biggest one was that milsurp 5.56 wouldn't eject reliably, but commercial 223 worked flawlessly. After selling it I learned that many DPMS rifles had chambers reamed to SAAMI, rather than NATO spec. While I could see that in a long range target rifle I didn't make sense to me for a 200 meter weapon. I have no idea if that's still the case.

Although I've had a personally checkered past with Bushmaster I do think they make a good product. If you have problems with one they will try very hard to make it right. It's unfortunate that Bushy only has a one year warranty considering the price, but they do use 4150 chrome-lined barrels which will probably outlast the owner.

If DPMS and Bushy are your only two choices then I'd buy the Bushy and never look back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
if bushmaster is good enuff for military its good enuff for me
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We just did this topic a couple weeks ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=244001

-Troy

+1

but what the hell

bushmaster

never had any problems with any of mine and have read that they have taken care of business everytime they needed to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a (not-so-) secret: have you EVER heard of Bushmaster not backing up a defective Bushmaster product, regardless of its age?  No?  Exactly.

-Troy

Yeah, actually I have.

Remember me mentioning my "checkered past" above? That checkered past had to do with my 20" XM-15 having to go back for warranty work three times for multiple issues, the most serious being that it doubled with alarming regularity.

Ordinarily correctible issues like soft FCG parts (my rifle), a canted FSB (my rifle), and a pisspoor finish (my rifle) wouldn't bother me very much, but if Barney Fife had happened by my local range while I was shooting my Bushmaster I could have ended up in prison-or bankrupt after defending myself. I finally ended up unloading the damned thing to my local FFL.

Troy, don't you dare attempt to preach to me about "Bushmaster always making it right" because after three trips my rifle was still fucked up and they officially washed their hands of it after being unable to duplicate the problem. The irony to all of this is that Colt's "supposed shitty customer service" would have replaced that rifle in a New York fucking minute after the owner mentioned a doubling issue.

ETA: As far as their pisspoor warranty goes, it amazes me that other manufacturers can offer a better warranty at a lower per unit MSRP.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a (not-so-) secret: have you EVER heard of Bushmaster not backing up a defective Bushmaster product, regardless of its age?  No?  Exactly.

-Troy

Yeah, actually I have.

Remember me mentioning my "checkered past" above? That checkered past had to do with my 20" XM-15 having to go back for warranty work three times for multiple issues, the most serious being that it doubled with alarming regularity.

Ordinarily correctible issues like soft FCG parts (my rifle), a canted FSB (my rifle), and a pisspoor finish (my rifle) wouldn't bother me very much, but if Barney Fife had happened by my local range while I was shooting my Bushmaster I could have ended up in prison-or bankrupt after defending myself. I finally ended up unloading the damned thing to my local FFL.

Troy, don't you dare attempt to preach to me about "Bushmaster always making it right" because after three trips my rifle was still fucked up and they officially washed their hands of it after being unable to duplicate the problem. The irony to all of this is that Colt's "supposed shitty customer service" would have replaced that rifle in a New York fucking minute after the owner mentioned a doubling issue.

ETA: As far as their pisspoor warranty goes, it amazes me that other manufacturers can offer a better warranty at a lower per unit MSRP.

Always looking for a reason to throw in Colt is better than Bushmaster, eh

You say you would choose Bushmaster, is this before or after the possibility of Bushy buying Colt rejected parts, according to you

Why dont you tell the story about how great your Colt guns were used as ladders in an LEO training class while the RRA pistol grips sheared off the lower. I especially fond of that one. I've asked dozens of LEO guys and some DHS buds under what circumstances you would use you weapon as a ladder in a potential hostile situation, Never was the consensus. Maybe that's just your local PD

For the record, the hex bolt RRA uses is the same as bushmaster, yet you would still buy bushmaster, despite the fact that the pistol grip might shear off.

Or how about the story of how only Colt delievered carbines to the DEA, according do you, but a ferderal agent told you outright you were wrong.

How about how RRA will bow to political pressure and reduce their civilian line, according to you, but Colt is going to offer civilan carbines with flash hiders and adjustable stocks. Funny how I go to my dealers and see plenty of Civilian RRA's but no Colts. Oops, wrong again

Always with the propaganda. Any illusion of credidibility you had disappeared long ago

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok Im in the market for my first ar15 m4 sytle firearm. Now I noticed that dpms is a little less expensive. Is there a reason ? Is Bushmaster a better product or are you just paying for the name ?

Get an RRA instead.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster hands down.

Max
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Bushy
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

-Troy

Yeah, actually I have.

Always looking for a reason to throw in Colt is better than Bushmaster, eh

You say you would choose Bushmaster, is this before or after the possibility of Bushy buying Colt rejected parts, according to you

Blah blah blah <snip>

Riiight

Your reading comprehension needs some help sport. Here's the original thread about the batch of parts I shitcanned that ended up being sold by the vendor on the commercial market: LINK

It's ironic that with 42 replies and over 1000 views you are the only one who came up with the notion that I claimed Bushy bought those parts. It;s also ironic that clearly you don't know the meaning of the word ironic (dictionary.com is your friend) But then again, based on your "hard hitting analysis" () I shouldn't be surprised-the DEA thread is a perfect example.

You should probably stick to what you know-cutting and pasting someone elses work, posting outdated articles, and industry propaganda. That seems to be what you're best at

On the other hand, please don't change a thing-your "insight" () makes for GREAT comedy at work. Our current favorite 'pearl of wisdom' of yours was how both Sig and Colt refused to submit to round two testing in the DEA trials, according to you. Here's the scoop, Kojak: the testing had already been fully completed. The ONLY thing we refused to two was resubmit a lower bid price for round two. It's a pretty safe bet that Colt did precisely the same thing. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your "hard hitting analysis".

But then again, what do I know-your google skills apparently trump the fact that I actually work for one of the companies you misspoke about, and used to work for the other one
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any experience with DPMS but I do have a Bushmaster, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]
i have had most of there guns oly arms preban rifle. bushy rra. dpms all are great guns if you buy the right parts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top