Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
Ok, once you've admitted that you're never done and there will always be another build or buy, the next question is.....which one.

I have a tricked out midlength.  I've got a 20" with a TA31F.  So I'm thinking the M4 again, but this time I'm thinking a very basic M4 with an A2 upper.  Simple, fairly light.  And, difficult to put optics on it so as to avoid the temptation.

Has anyone else gone with an A2 upper just to avoid the temptation to spend another $400-1000 on optics?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes     But every now and then I still switch one of them back to A3, and then back to A2,
and then . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
..And, difficult to put optics on it so as to avoid the temptation.

$5 says you'll be looking at Compact ACOGs and TA-31s 6 months after you build it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with an A2 upper with an M4 contour, 16" barrel with the 6 position stock.  But I'm an iron sight guy, so I know I wasn't going to put an optic on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My Last build was a 20" A2
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So I'm thinking the M4 again, but this time I'm thinking a very basic M4 with an A2 upper.  Simple, fairly light.  

Has anyone else gone with an A2 upper just to avoid the temptation to spend another $400-1000 on optics?

Hmmmmmm, I find your ideas interesting.......  but I've also found that I like the A1 upper better.  Here is an older picture that I had floating around.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
What a great idea. I'll have to try it....

Oh wait, I did!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I currently have 2 AR's both of which are A2's.  I am about to build my third and have the urge to do an A3.  I doubt if I would ever use optics on it but I guess it would be nice to have the option.  Here is my favorite.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's mine.

I didn't get the A2 to intentionally rule out optics, though. This was my first AR and didn't see the need in a flattop (at the time) so I simply flipped a coin. Heads A2, Tails Flattop w/detachable carry handle.

Quarter landed on heads and I picked up the phone to order my kit right then and there.

Personally, I'm almost glad it landed on heads. It's really simple this way.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A2 upper? I went back even further........A1 style upper!!!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
My next one is going to be an A1 upper, 14.7" CMMG M4 bbl, and 4 pos. fiberlite.. I kinda like the really simple, plane jane look. No add ons or anything.. Just irons.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/7054.jpg

That is a sweet looking rifle! Almost exactly what I was thinking of putting together when I'm done with my middy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/7054.jpg

I just ordered the CAR style stock for mine, and an A1/C7 upper will be next on the list. Now all I need is for you to teach me how to paint the rack number on the stock and we can be twins.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That is a sweet looking rifle!
Almost exactly what I was thinking of putting together when I'm done with my middy.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just ordered the CAR style stock for mine, and an A1/C7 upper will be next on the list. Now all I need is for you to teach me how to paint the rack number on the stock and we can be twins.

I Googled for military style fonts and printed them out in the size needed to fit the stock. I then cut out the numbers I wanted, taped this to the stock and used flat OD green Testers model paint and dry brushed the numbers on. Pretty simple process, just come up with your own numbers, 520 is already taken!!!  

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
pretty clever
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I built an A2 M4gery as well. It was my first AR and didn't see the need for optics, plus the handle is part of the famous AR profile to me.

To be honest though, I've thought about building another one, but a flat top this time.

Here's my A2

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with the handle being the famous profile of the AR design. All three of my AR's ar A2, my Bushmaster M4 patrolmans carbine has a YHM handguard and an Aimpoint on a cantilever mount installed, it's solid as a rock, and for cqb distances, if it does rotate it won't throw it off enough to matter much,  it co-witness's perfectly, plus, I have no little buis to have to flip up, the irons are always there, that's just the way I like it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top