Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:01:27 PM EDT
I have been noticing some references to H2 carbine buffers lately and I was wondering what they are. Are they heavier than an H buffer or do they fall in between a standard CAR and an H? Does it slow down the cycle enough to offer any great reliability or performance advantage?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes the H2 buffer is somewhat heavier than the earlier H buffer. Its a good choice for carbines with 14.5inch or shorter barrels as these guns seem to sometimes have bolt bounce problems. Weight wise it falls between the Colt M4 heavy H buffer at 3.8 ounces and the Colt 9mm black heavy car buffer at 5.5 ounces. Sorry I dont know the H2 buffers exact weight, however it feels almost as heavy as the Colt 9mm black heavy buffer. Please e-mail me if you have any questions as I dont come to this forum very often.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]

A handy buffer weight list...

BUFFER WEIGHTS

Standard Rifle - 5.15oz

Standard CAR - 2.9oz

H CAR Style - 3.77oz

H2 CAR Style - 4.7oz

H3 CAR Style – 5.6oz

9mm - 5.47oz, made of steel

Special purpose buffers designed for suppressed SMG's or 9mm carbines using high pressure (+P+) ammunition

9mm A - 6.3oz CAR style buffer

9mm B - 7.1oz CAR style buffer

9mm X - 7.9oz CAR style buffer

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
On a buffer related subject, has anyone used the hydraulic buffer from MGI?

Or Buffer Technologies? I think they are also available or made by or called Restor HB

and there is the Colt version (old stuff) that I found for a meager $500+
LINK

Personally, I don't have a buffer problem, but always interested to hear thoughts on these things for the experts.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the weight comparison. I know that even regular H buffers help slow things down a bit, so maybe an H2 might be something worth looking into...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, now I'm getting ambitious... are there any significant advantages/disadvantages of pairing a 5.47 oz 9mm buffer with a regular 5.56mm setup? I'd imagine it would amplify the positive points, but can it actually slow down the action too much?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On a buffer related subject, has anyone used the hydraulic buffer from MGI?

www.mgimilitary.com/images/buffer.jpg

I have one and am quite pleased with its performance. I'm sure that you'll find plenty of recommendations in the following thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=241393
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
taggage
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top