Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:33 PM EDT
I've had this basic concept in my head for some time but I've finally put it to paper (so to speak).  I'm not a woodworking kind of guy, but am pretty mechanically minded.  With that in mind, I'd like for some of the folks with woodworking experience to critique and give input on materials.

The concept is for a horizontal wall rack for my Bushy that takes up minimal space and will mount with drywall anchors.  I intend to construct this out of some dense, strong 1" thick wood (input needed).  It will cradle the rifle at the delta ring and the receiver extension just aft of the castle nut.

I realize that I will need to shave a little of the wood off the cradle for proper fit and I intend to smooth the edges prior to staining but is the concept sound?  Will it hold the weight of the rifle (weight coming as soon as I find a scale)?

The Concept

The Rifle It Will Hold

E-95
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
E-95,

Let me say I am impressed with the drawings, I enjoy metal working and wood working and I like the design.

The only concern I see is the thickness of the botton web. From your numbers the the thickness (blue drawing) at the bottom is .5", a little too thin, I would make it thicker, 1.25 to 1.5".

Check out the same for the red drawing.

Good luck on the project,

Richard
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
here are a couple pics of mine.....I made it in the backyard out of some old pine shelving I had laying around...I think it turned out OK...in retrospect I probably should have made a measured pattern for it, but it came out pretty good anyway, and it works good!! Good-Luck on yours!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You need another digit of accuracy.  Then we'll talk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

For a wall rack?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a wall rack?

A wood wall rack, at that.

I think it should also be thickened a little. For some reason, I'm always iffy about the strength of wood.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I apparently slipped back into my old expectations of sending this to be fabricated by someone with a CAD/CAM mill.  After actually drawing it out, I had some hesitations about the thickness and strength of the wood.  So, with Richard's and Wizzo's suggestion, here's version 2:  bigger and beefier.

The Concept Version 2

So woodworking guys, what kind of wood do you recommend?

Red65, hey . . I'm anal like that.    Actually, I forgot how to change the accuracy settings in AutoCAD.  It marked the drawing to that number of decimal places automatically during dimensioning.

M4Madness, I'll probably pick one of those up as well (for if I screw the pooch during manufacture).  Thanks for the link.

Griz, if you're trying to warn me that I may be setting myself up for an easy snatch by a burglar, I'm way ahead of you.  Suffice to say, local PD and/or I will be here long before a thief reaches my weapons.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You put more planning into your wall rack then I put into this dresser:

It doesn't look like a complicated build.  You could do it all with a jigsaw and a drill, most likely.  Hopefully, you'll post pictures of your project yourself.  You can always buy something, but it will never give you the satisfaction of building it yourself.

A more expedient  version would be to purchase some hangers from Cabelas:
Gun Hangers
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You put more planning into your wall rack then I put into this dresser:

www.johnnyego.com/dresser/dresser5.jpg

It doesn't look like a complicated build.  You could do it all with a jigsaw and a drill, most likely.  Hopefully, you'll post pictures of your project yourself.  You can always buy something, but it will never give you the satisfaction of building it yourself.

A more expedient  version would be to purchase some hangers from Cabelas:
Gun Hangers

I originally didn't want to build my own rack.  I found an adjustable width, synthetic or metal gun mount brackets someplace online; however, I didn't bookmark it and never found it again.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Check these out:

www.plastixplustx.com/ar15/ar15.html

+1 - I have one of these mounted in my shower so I can bathe while armed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check these out:

You owe me a new keyboard.  I just snarfed rum and coke all over it.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check these out:

You owe me a new keyboard.  I just snarfed rum and coke all over it.

E-95

Don't laugh.  I once lived in an apartment where I took my .38, and set it on the towel rack just outside the shower door.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My suggestion is that unless you make them out of quality plywood (baltic birch), you should make them from two pieces. If you cut it out of a single piece of wood, the grain direction creates a problem. The flanges with the mounting holes will be end-grain. That isn't very strong, and if the screws are very tight it could split. Also if the flange portion is only 1/2" thick, they will break very easily, again because of the grain orientation.

If you make it from two pieces the grain direction can ge optimized, plus the mounting surface can be wider than the 'hook'. This gives you more options to mount it to the wall.

Here's what I'm talking about:

This is just my opinion, but let us know how the work out.

BTW, the command in Autocad to change the numeric format is "units"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top