Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:31:07 AM EDT
being disabled/retired, i have alot of time and not alot of money for my "toys"......so, i decided to take a fresh look at the trigger in the ar15........

here's what i've done, and the approx results.....if any of you folks w/ more experience know of a problem area i've gotten into, pls let me know........as is, it's working perfectly normal and has an approx 1-2lb pull or so, glass smooth.......

i changed enough of the front of the trigger from the 8 degree negative rake to a 1.5 degree negative.....i did this just deep enough to give me enough to fill the notch on the hammer.....

i deepened the notch on the hammer 50%

i removed the trigger spring, and modified one leg of the hammer spring to apply pressure to the trigger behind the trigger pin...the other leg i left stock, to hold the pin in.......i also later removed the large "mass" on the top of the hammer, and put a 15 deg bend in both legs just below the wrap to reduce pressure......

all moving surfaces were polished to a mirror w/ a paper buff and lehomideu CR51 compound....

the safety works fine, and i can't make it drop by slamming it, or dropping it....... but, i know i'm not the first to think of this, and someone had to have a prob for it to not be standard for civie rifles....

thx
skintback

ps: don't be afraid of pointing out any flaws in my logic.......heck, i've got a dr's excuse for it!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing I can see is you proberly went below the surface hardness on the parts. you going to have a good trigger then it will start to become troublesome to unsafe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#3]
i thought i would have atleast .030 of case on it, if it wasn't hardened all the way through.....

even if i cut through it on the front, the top is still hard and should carry the load w/o a prob...

if it starts to show signs of it, i'll just drop a new trigger w/ the mod on it in the oven and harden it up!......i knew i kept that paragon furnace w/ digital controller for somethin!!!!......lol....

this rifle is just a plinker/test fixture for another project i've got workin.......

i don't think i'd trust the the reset to be brisk enough for any type of duty use in the field, but by cuttin the sear notch in the hammer deeper, it should have enough depth of engagement for home duty..i can handle a long/light/smooth trigger pull much better than a short/heavy/rough one...

it's not dropping when i drop the bolt on an empty chamber, and i've shot a mag through it w/o any doubleing........

next is an overtravel screw in the trigger!....lol....

the only prob i've got to remedy is the safety......i need to "stretch" the rear of the trigger up a skosh to keep it working completely.........

i'll let ya'll know what fix works best for this...

thx all
skintback
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top