Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:52 PM EDT
I am looking into my next rifle, but am unsure about some options. Looking between Chromemoly and Stainless Steel barrels. Is either one any better, or do they each have advantages and disadvantages?

The options are the following:

Stainless 1-8
Stainless, Fluted 1-8
Stainless, Fluted, Threaded muzzle 1-8

or

Chrome moly, 1-9
Chrome moly, Fluted 1-9
Chrome moly, Fluted, Threaded muzzle 1-9

This is going to be chambered in a 5.56, with a flat-top A3, and Picatinny gas block, and a vented free float HG. Gonna look at the Ace shorty stock also.

What barrel option would you go with?
J.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think this is very helpful in that the barrel I would go with might vary greatly with the uses YOU have in mind. What is the purpose(s) of this rifle? is it your only black rifle? I am only interested in a battle rifle, others hunt, others do match competions, and some have expectations to fulfill these tasks with ONE rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This will be a range/3-gun/Home Defense rifle. Its not my only black rifle. I don't plan to hunt with it, as I have those rifles set already. I have just not ever looked much at the barrel options on the AR's, and on this one I will.

j.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This will be a range/3-gun/Home Defense rifle. Its not my only black rifle. I don't plan to hunt with it, as I have those rifles set already. I have just not ever looked much at the barrel options on the AR's, and on this one I will.

j.

Home defense? Gov't profile or M4 profile all the way. You don't need or want all the weight of an HBAR in the confines of you home. 1-7 so you can use the 77gr ammo (mk 262 mod 1) to take down any perps. That is currently the deadliest munition available. Can also still use 55gr for economy, and everything in between. Definitely a 4150 chrome lined barrel, Colt if you can afford it, Bushmaster if you can't. Get something worthwhile.
CMMG has some decent ones too.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j.

Home defense? Gov't profile or M4 profile all the way. You don't need all the weight of an HBAR for that. 1-7 so you can use the 77gr soft point to take down any perps. You can still use 55gr. Definitely a 4150 chrome lined barrel, Colt if you can afford it, Bushmaster if you can't. Get something worthwhile.

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, maybe I should have defined it as property defense...

Thanks for the tips!

j.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, maybe I should have defined it as property defense...

Thanks for the tips!

j.

Still would not change my recommendation. You'll need something handy, yet accurate.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top