Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 1:37:37 PM EDT
I just returned from the range.  My friend was sighting in his new BUIS.  He was able to get a good group, but couldn't hit the 10 ring to save his life.  He was hitting in the 8/7 ring directly below center.

I stepped up with the same settings and hit in the 10/9 rings everytime.  He grabbed it back and same deal.  

WTF?

He is 6'3" with a huge head.

I am 5'7" with a normal head.

Not that either should matter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he was jerking the trigger, pushing forward  or drooping his head
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like he isn't getting a proper sight picture...is his "huge noggen" preventing him from keeping his nose on the charging handle?? yeah he might also be flinching right before he pulls the trigger and dropping the front end a little...its hard to know for sure.

But he's still getting tight groups by doing the wrong thing consistently every shot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think people see differently.  I shot witha friend of mine last Friday.  He's 6'3" with a big head and I'm 5'11" with a big head.  Anyway, we were shooting a "sniper" targets (it's a 11" x 17" sheet of paper with the outline of a sniper with his scope outlined).  We were using my RRA 16" with Aimpoint.  My shots all found their way into the little guy's scope.  All my buddy's shots were in a nice little group two inches high and two inches left.  People just see different.

R.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think people see differently.  I shot witha friend of mine last Friday.  He's 6'3" with a big head and I'm 5'11" with a big head.  Anyway, we were shooting a "sniper" targets (it's a 11" x 17" sheet of paper with the outline of a sniper with his scope outlined).  We were using my RRA 16" with Aimpoint.  My shots all found their way into the little guy's scope.  All my buddy's shots were in a nice little group two inches high and two inches left.  People just see different.

R.

There's the answer.  Everyone has their own zero for a particular rifle, and it's only an accident if it works for someone else.  He just needs to adjust the front sight down a little more to center up.

The fact that he was getting a good group means that trigger control or flinching are not the problems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Good precision & poor accuracy indicates systematic issues. "Centering" the post in the peep is an individual thing; all that really counts, though, is that the precision is good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Were you using the wide aprerature on the rear sight? If so try switching from the 0-200 wide aperature to the pinhole aperature, there will be less margin of error in the sight picture. Mayble that will bring the shots in to the center. My 2 cents.

-jls7
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a crazy thing.  I carefully watched for any jerking or barrel motion . . . there was none that was noticable.

This guy has shot marksman in recent years during his time in the AF.  I couldn't find a reason for it.  I even verified with him about his site picture.  

I think it is the big head.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Next time he shoots the rifle, give him an empty chamber and watch the flinch!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Next time he shoots the rifle, give him an empty chamber and watch the flinch!  

Good idea.  Or, if you have snap caps or dummy rounds, you can load a few in there spaced inbetween regular rounds.  Watch him as he's shooting and wait until he gets to a snap cap to see if he's flinching.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
It's just the simple fact that the two of you don't use the exact same head position, etc. when viewing iron sights. I've noticed the same phenomenon with my archery equipment. I can tightly drill the arrows right in the bullseye, while someone else shooting my bow will group them tight in a different location.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't want to hijack this, but I had a similar problem yesterday.  I set my targets at 25 meters eye level last week and was dead on.  Yesterday I set them at 25 meters again, but this time they were about 8 feet high and I was hitting 6" right and 8" low from the sitting.  Does this sound like a shooter problem or a rifle problem (same ammo).  Strangely I was shooting much better from the standing (still low and right) than from sitting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Is he putting the front post where you put it?  Are on of you putting top of post in center of target, and the other using a "pumpkin" sight picture?  No matter, as long as he get's his rifle zeroed for him, things are fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
different sight picture

different trigger pull
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top