Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2005 7:24:56 AM EDT
Does anyone use a Yankee Hill 2 piece carbine forend, matched with a Tango Down vertical battle grip? I was curious if the two were compatible. I read they might not work together.

Thanks,
fairly newbie Perry
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have this setup on my bushy 16" m4 upper.  It is a very tight fit.  I had to have a buddy help me put it on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
the newer yhm is suppose to fit properly.

get in touch with brightflashlights in the industry forum and see what he says. he's a yhm dealer and would take care of you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone please PIN this. LOL
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats the setup?

Looks great!
Guess I will order a Tango.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats the setup?

Looks great!

Thanks

Yes, here is another one, I hope it helps.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the covers on the forend functional or necessary or just for show?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats the setup?

Looks great!

Thanks

Yes, here is another one, I hope it helps.....

img150.imageshack.us/img150/4268/1bushiewithrailscompmedium8ui.jpg

SHOWOFF!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks

The rails are somewhat sharp, and while they aren't going to cut you just sitting around, they will get hot, catch or gear, or scratch you up while running drills.

If nothing else, throw on the ladder rail covers like these.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

SHOWOFF!

I've got more, but strictly for medicinal purposes  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, stickman , pics and info very helpful.

Perry
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SHOWOFF!

+1 Nice rifles
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

The rails are somewhat sharp, and while they aren't going to cut you just sitting around, they will get hot, catch or gear, or scratch you up while running drills.

If nothing else, throw on the ladder rail covers like these.....

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1107719228.jpg

It has been my  understanding that the rail covers al;so serve the  purpose of prtecting the rails them self .
I mean if you are running  and gunning and you rifle falls or catches rocks would rather trash  a  $13.00 rail cover or a $130.00  rail  ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish I could take pics like that Stickman Dude.

Danny

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Heres an email form Tango about the YHM 2 piece carbine  forend

Dear Perry,

Thank you for contacting us. We have seen mixed results with Yankee
Hill Machine commercial rails. Some are MIL-STD 1913 compliant, some are
not. Our BGV-MK46 vertical grip is intended for MIL-STD 1913 rails only.
We supply a drawing of the MIL-STD in our instructions, use this as a
comparison when looking at rails.

Best regards,

TangoDown LLC
Customer Service

Perry
> Will your vertical grip work on a Yankee Hill 2 piece forend.
>  
> Thanks, Perry

--
[email protected]

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]

T-I-G-H-T!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]
TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Triggerfish, could you put up some more info on that bad boy?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the exact setup on one of my m4geries -

VERY tight fit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I wish I could take pics like that Stickman Dude.

Danny

No way, that guy sucks!!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I must ask the question; why do people buy one of the cheapest rails on the market and then buy one of the most expensive VG's on the market (would really like to know).

C4

I don't see the issue with it every time this question comes up.  If the TD grip is a little tight, it isn't rocket science to shave it down a hair, or to tap it on.  

I'm not interested in what the cool kids use, I'm interested in function.  I don't need a FF rail on my duty weapon, so I don't use one.  I feel the TD grip is the msot comfortable for me, so I use it.  

Simple answer, it works.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#25]
They aren't perfect, but the issue is a minor one at best.  

The analogy is unrealistic, its more like saying there is a longer break in period on your new car than you thought.

I understand that the TD vs YHM issue bothers you, but it just isn't that big of a deal to me.  Its functional, and works with every other grip out there.  I would rather have the grip a little tight, than a little loose, even if it means I do a little fitting myself.

PS-In my quest to "go lighter", I've pulled the rails off my duty carbine anyway.  Now I can never be cool....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#27]
For $20 to $30 more, I suggest the MidWest Industries 2 piece HG. Much better fit and finish.

I know because I sold my YHM unit once the MI HG arrived. I had to file a bit off my TDVG to get it to fit on the YHM HG.

YHM makes some nice stuff, don't get me wrong. But, the MI HG is much, much better and is
MIL-STD 1913. I had to buy a new TDVG b/c from filing it down to get it to fit on the YHM HG, it was loose on the MI HG.

Here's a sneak peak at the MI HG. It can be had in the EE.

Note where the TDVG was Dremeled to fit the YHM HG. Both the YHM HG and filed-down TDVG have been replaced.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I understand your point of view if in fact you have only used one set of YHM rails and TD VG's (and they went on with minimal effort).
C4

Nope, I've used quite a few, and had to fit more than one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Its your money so do with it as you will.

C4

Oddly enough, I do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heres an email form Tango about the YHM 2 piece carbine  forend

Dear Perry,

Thank you for contacting us. We have seen mixed results with Yankee
Hill Machine commercial rails. Some are MIL-STD 1913 compliant, some are
not. Our BGV-MK46 vertical grip is intended for MIL-STD 1913 rails only.
We supply a drawing of the MIL-STD in our instructions, use this as a
comparison when looking at rails.

Best regards,

TangoDown LLC
Customer Service

Perry
> Will your vertical grip work on a Yankee Hill 2 piece forend.
>  
> Thanks, Perry

--
[email protected]

This is correct. I would say that you have a 50/50 chance of the TD VG fitting (without having to us a hammer or removing some of the material from the TD VG).

I must ask the question; why do people buy one of the cheapest rails on the market and then buy one of the most expensive VG's on the market (would really like to know).

C4

C4i Grant thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to Ar stuff, I want the rails but I didn't want the free float because of the installation and from reading on this board a FF was not necesssary on my M4 with the 14.5'' barrel, I thought bybuying YHM, I was getting a great quality 2 piece rail. When I realized the Tango grip problem, I almost did not want to order aYHM, I though about a Midwest (is the company right?)2 piece for around $159.
What I worry about is future purchses, and if I will have aproblem down the road when I get a Surefire for the rail, will it not fit surefire??
I will see what happens when I get. If it the VG grip doesn't fit I may send the YHM back.
What other two piece rail would you recommend?

Thanks, Perry
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What I worry about is future purchses, and if I will have aproblem down the road when I get a Surefire for the rail, will it not fit surefire??
I will see what happens when I get. If it the VG grip doesn't fit I may send the YHM back.

My YHM HG and MI HG both hold my SureFire wARMS mount no problem.

Get the MI HG $129.95 delivered in the Equipment Exchange. Far better than the YHM HG, IMHO.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

C4i Grant thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to Ar stuff, I want the rails but I didn't want the free float because of the installation and from reading on this board a FF was not necesssary on my M4 with the 14.5'' barrel, I thought bybuying YHM, I was getting a great quality 2 piece rail. When I realized the Tango grip problem, I almost did not want to order aYHM, I though about a Midwest (is the company right?)2 piece for around $159.

Thanks, Perry

I would first like to address the comment about FF your barrel. While it DOES improve accuracy, the bigger in my mind is pressure applied onto the barrel. This is not so much a concern until you start hanging gear off the rail (like lights, lasers, VG, bipod, etc). They I believe that the weight has a negative effect on the barrel. So IMHO FF rails are the ONLY way to go on ANY weapon (even if the weapon is not capable of extreme accuracy).

The second issue is that you might not have a single issue with the YHM rails and TD VG. There are tons of folks that have not.

The MI rail looks promising (don't sell it), but BCO tells me that they are nice. I would also look at the TROY rail. It is a two piece FF system and is well made.

C4

Thanks for reply, I will consider the FF, is it a hard install for a newbie, don't I need punches and torque wrench etc..

Perry
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the MI HG $129.95 delivered in the Equipment Exchange. Far better than the YHM HG, IMHO.

HS1

Thanks I will check it out, is it under a certain vendor?

Perry
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Thanks I will check it out, is it under a certain vendor?

Perry

Paul @ www.bravocompanyusa.com sells them and is VERY reputable.

C4

If this YHM doesn't work out, I think I could install that  Troy Industries MRF-C rail.

It clamps to the barrel nut, so I guess bye bye delta ring??

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top