Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:20:35 PM EDT
hey, everyone, I'm considering getting an AR by mail to my FFL guy. But I cant see the rifles till i actually buy it, so i have to guess as to which is the best but in shotgun news the choice of companies is mind boggling. I know that Colt and Bushmaster seem to be the top two but too expensive for me. I need to know the ranking of the others in particular, Rock river arms, double star, M, DPMS, olympia, J&T, armalite ,sherluck etc. ,etc. Are there any I should avoid? Maybe ya'll should gimme a list of your top 5 ? and which is better a Forged receiver or the other kind? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting topic that has never been covered, not even once in the AR forums. You can look all you want: Troubleshooting, Building Your Own AR...it doesn't matter. Nobody has EVER asked this. Good thing you're asking it in General Discussion.

Consider Hesse.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I am just pissed he used Olympia and Armalite in the same sentence.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Interesting topic that has never been covered, not even once in the AR forums. You can look all you want: Troubleshooting, Building Your Own AR...it doesn't matter. Nobody has EVER asked this. Good thing you're asking it in General Discussion.

Consider Hesse.

Dont do that to the poor guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Consider Hesse.

cutting through the darkness of stupidity like a lighthouse

thank you sir
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You've been here 2yr's and don't even own a AR...?!!

Dude...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
All you need to know:  Armalite  

Well and then the others are all good...

Cast receivers won't last as long as a forged receiver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Consider Hesse.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember many of these companies may not actually make the upper & lower receivers, barrels, etc. They sub-contracted out to various vendors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Consider Hesse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK listen up dingus! Other people might read this advice so don't screw it up with bad advice (even people who dont own guns know that Hesse is shisse! ). Second i did look through the other forums and diid'nt find a rating system exactly. So i figure better to post in the forum with the most traffic to get the best responces. Third , I own only one AR type weapon (bushmaster) So how would that make me an expert on AR company quailty?? I guess you never read my Ak is the best posts? But i figure people with many AR's might have a better idea about which companies to consider or avoid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Consider Hesse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK listen up dingus! Other people might read this advice so don't screw it up with bad advice (even people who dont own guns know that Hesse is shisse! ). Second i did look through the other forums and diid'nt find a rating system exactly. So i figure better to post in the forum with the most traffic to get the best responces. Third , I own only one AR type weapon (bushmaster) So how would that make me an expert on AR company quailty?? I guess you never read my Ak is the best posts? But i figure people with many AR's might have a better idea about which companies to consider or avoid.

Most of us here in GD lost our guns in a tragic boating accident. Now, if you want to know the top five .22 and .38 manufacturers, you've come to the right place.

I like Ruger and S&W, myself.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Rock River, Colt, Stag, or Bushmaster.

Watch out for some of the ads in SGN. I'd be pretty pissed if I ordered a rifle and got a name brand lower built on a half ass parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are staying away from Colt and Bushmaster then I would recommend Rock River, Armalite, J&T/Doublestar.  I would stay away from Model 1, they have great prices but I have heard a lot of negative things about them.  J&T/Doublestar are the next cheapest and have a pretty good reputation so if you are looking for the cheapest but decent quality than Doublestar fits the bill.  Out of all of them I would go with Rock River.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
LMT, CMT, Bushmaster, RRA,  and Colt..not in any particular order. Since you're behind enemy lines in NY like me, a Bushmaster or Colt Pre-ban lower mated with parts from any of the companies mentioned would do nicely. If going post-ban the Bushmaster SEBR 2005 (NY edition) would be the closest thing to an M4gery you will get and you can't beat that for the price and quality...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=122&t=366950
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
my vote goes to rock river...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My top 5 parts brands (because some components are made by the same manufacturer, it's the Quality Control and testing that makes the difference):

1. Colt
2. LMT
3. CMT/STAG/RRA
4. Armalite/Bushmaster/Fulton Armory
5. DPMS
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
bushmaster then colt(if you have tons of money).Don't but oly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
There are only Four in my books

1. Colt
2. ArmaLite
3. LMT
4. CMT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#18]
First, none of these manufacture all their parts.

They buy uppers, lowers, barrels, bolt carriers, etc, from whomever meets their quality standards.

So, what it boils down to, which of these PARTS SUPPLIERS consistently supply good quality parts?

Not in any order of preference, but I have gotten good parts from:

J&T Distributing
Armalite
Olympic Arms
DPMS
Bushmaster
CMMG
Rock River Arms
Cavalry Arms
LAR

And I "cherry pick" my parts.  In particular:

I like SS barrels from Olympic Arms, but have also gotten chromemoly barrels, chromelined and plain, from J&T, Cavalry Arms, DPMS, that were perfectly satisfactory.

I like the unnotched hammers from DPMS, but the notched hammers from most all the other listed suppliers are of good quality.

I like the "enhanced" bolt carriers from Rock River.  As an aside, I have two chromed bolt carriers from DPMS that work just fine.  Yes, the machine marks are a little deeper, but they are in places that do not touch anything, and make NO difference in performace.  The carrier rides on four rails that contact the inside of the receiver.

I need to know the ranking of the others in particular,

Having dealt with most all of these, ranking is impossible.  FYI, Doublestar IS J&T.

ETA, I have listed ONLY companies I have actually dealt with.  I did not list Model 1 Sales, Sherluck, M&A Parts, and a few others as I have not personally dealt with them.  Nor do I list Lonestar Ordnance, a company I used to buy from, but they are no longer in business, though I hear they are trying to reopen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Bushmaster
LMT
CMT/Stag
RRA
If I were to get a RRA I would make sure it had a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
ABCDR
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
1.) RRA for me
2.) Bushy, Armalite, Colt
3.) J&T, DPMS, Del-Ton.

101.) M&A, Model 1

I wasn't impressed with my M&A kit (at all) or the parts my brother got from Model 1. All the other companies have been fine.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's my vote in no particular order.

Colt
LMT/ Lauer
CMT/ Stag Arms
Sabre Defence
Rock River Arms
ArmaLite

I currently have Colts, CMT and LMT but I will be expanding my list in the future.

Darn BRD.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Based on what you are doing, let me suggest this.
Order a COMPLETE LOWER
Order a COMPLETE UPPER
Do it seperately.

The COMPLETE UPPER can be shipped to you home.
The COMPLETE LOWER will have to go to an FFL.
(that is all you need.  they come with all the pins, etc... already there)

You will save almost $100 this way. (there is a tax on complete rifles)
I would highly suggest www.adcofirearms.com for both parts.

They will answer any questions you may have, until you truly know hwat you want or need.
Shipping is $4.
If you go the ADCO route, you will get RRA stuff.  (I have two and am perfectly happy with them)
It is excellent quality.
The finish on RRA is good.
Most of the RRA barrels are not chrome lined.  This bothers some.  Others believe it is not that important.  I have both.  I have never had a problem one way or the other.
I don't let my guns get too dirty, though, so that may make a difference.

BTW, you can mix and match.  A RRA lower will work just fine with a Bushmaster upper.

Food For Thought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#24]
In one of the other forums; I like what one fellow said.  Other than Hesse or Vulcan; pick a lower that has the roll stamp that suits your fancy and go from there.  They're all good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't but oly.

why? because the rest of the herd said so?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Man did you jump into a pool of hungry sharks. I don't think many people are gonna toss you a life preserver for this one.
Colt
Armalite
Bushmaster
Rock River Arms
DPMS
would be my guess... enjoy your swim.

Oops... you said PARTS, didn't you. My bad. Ummm... tag? I don't recall ever seeing a parts thread, but I'm sure it's been done.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Colt
LMT
CMT

make good parts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't but oly.

Cuz they're the most problematic AR maker of all time, and easily the most trouble shot crap on this site over the years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#29]
You can get Vulcan in Sportsman's guide for a good price...  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't but oly.

Cuz they're the most problematic AR maker of all time, and easily the most trouble shot crap on this site over the years.

New olys are good guns.  I never figured out why markm gets all fired up when someone mentions oly.  They made only cast rifles a long time ago.  Now they make forged rifles.  I haven't heard of many problems with oly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't but oly.

New olys are good guns.  I never figured out why markm gets all fired up when someone mentions oly.  They made only cast rifles a long time ago.  Now they make forged rifles.  I haven't heard of many problems with oly.

Yep I’ve had less trouble with my Oly than with my Bushmaster. Like someone else said most of different companies crap comes from the same manufacture anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Hesse.....???!!!!!
You may rot in Hell for that one...
God have mercy on your soul..  LOL

My experiences, as an AR owner since the 1980s, is that of my 8 ARs the Colts have had the most problems, under 4000 rds fired. And LMT and Bushmaster have had the least problems under 4000 rds fired. Infact in the last week I have now had 9 various problems with Colts, and 0 w/ the LMTs I'm using the same ammo, exact same magazines, and under the same operating conditions.
Hope this helps.

myitinaw
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#34]
my colt and bush and a m16-a2 upper(from a real colt m-16a2) would not fit with a oly lower that was made in 89. I'll stick with what works for me. oly sells 5,000 rifles a year and bush 10 times that much. bushmaster. go with them for parts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Am I the only one to notice that this?

t-stox
Post Number :: 1938

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You've been here 2yr's and don't even own a AR...?!!

Dude...

+1 i came over from the AK side and it took me about a month of reading before i decided i was going to build my first!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Consider Hesse.

Most of us here in GD lost our guns in a tragic boating accident. Now, if you want to know the top five .22 and .38 manufacturers, you've come to the right place.

I like Ruger and S&W, myself.

Playing the greatest hits from my "favorite insjde joke thread, eh?"

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top